Sep 1, 2009, 2:00 PM EDT
(And no, I don’t mean the fires…)
While we are a long, long, long, long, looong way away from October 17th, it bears mentioning a few minor updates that are happening in South-Central Los Angeles.
* Starting defensive end Armond Armstead broke a bone in his foot a few weeks ago and could miss anywhere from 6 to 8 weeks.
* Starting center Kristofer O’Dowd dislocated a knee cap could miss a month.
* Starting wide receiver Ronald Johnson broke his collarbone in a final scrimmage and is expected to miss 6 to 8 weeks.
* Starting cornerback Shareece Wright was declared academically ineligibile for the season after failing to bring up his grade-point-average up to acceptable levels.
(This is Wright’s second run afoul this offseason. His July was spent trying to plea down a felony charge for resisting a police officer. (He succeeded, paid a fine and was given 200 hours of community service.))
Untested true freshman quarterback with a propensity to throw interceptions? Check. Four lost starters to injury or academics? Check. Home game in mid-October —
Pump. The. Brakes.
I admit I’m getting ahead of myself…
There is no team in the country more uniquely qualified to replace key starters with top-tier talent than Pete Carroll’s USC Trojans. That said, this is looking like one of those games where, well — uh, you know.
I’m not saying, I’m just saying.
- For Golson, challenges won’t disappear now that he’s at FSU 49
- After high-profile academic mistakes, Notre Dame wisely examining new options 38
- Everett Golson transferring to Florida State 105
- KeiVarae Russell’s Return (or the greatest story we’re not talking about) 31
- Five things we’ve learned: Analyzing Everett Golson’s departure 125
- It’s official: Everett Golson will transfer (UPDATED) 172