Sep 8, 2009, 4:10 PM EDT
Bad news out of Charlie Weis’ Tuesday press conference. Fullback James Aldridge will miss Saturday’s tilt against Michigan with a sprained shoulder.
Weis said that Robert Hughes will start at fullback, which seemed like the logical next step. He also hinted at the severity of the injury, saying that Aldridge would be questionable for the following week’s game against Michigan State.
Aldridge’s role on the kick return team will be filled by senior Barry Gallup, but others may also play.
It’ll be interesting to see if Gallup can lead freshman Theo Riddick will the same blocking power as the hulking Aldridge, but any way to get Gallup onto the field and into the mix is fine with me.
I’ll have more analysis from today’s press conference later.
- The good, the bad and the ugly: The 86th annual Blue-Gold game 60
- Five things we learned: Gold 36, Blue 34 76
- Pregame Six Pack: Finishing spring practice strong 3
- Even without guarantee, Kelly expects Golson to return next season 107
- Grace opens up about the long road back 44
- Irish QB battle with (understandably) head into fall camp 12