Sep 8, 2009, 7:30 AM EST
If the Nevada victory wasn’t enough to lift the spirits of the Irish faithful, the win also saw the Notre Dame recruiting class grow to fifteen with the commitment of running back Cameron Roberson.
Depending on what website you read, Roberson is a three or four star recruit, with an impressive list of scholarship offers.
Here are some other interesting tidbits, gathered from multiple media sources.
* Roberson’s grandfather, Thomas Murray Turner, was one of the first African American graduates from Notre Dame when he matriculated in 1959.
* Notre Dame most likely out-dueled Northwestern, as Roberson kept his commitment quiet until he could talk personally to Wildcats coach Pat Fitzgerald. “I wanted t talk to Coach Fitzgerald first,” Roberson said. “I didn’t want to him to find out over the internet.”
* Roberson entertained offers from Notre Dame, Northwestern, Washington, Arizona, Utah, and Minnesota among others.
If you feel like watching 7 minutes and 37 seconds of Roberson to the “Techno mix” beat of “Futurefunk,” feel free to watch this video. If not, the mute button is a handy tool to help you get through the highlights.
Roberson is an interest pickup for the Irish. He doesn’t have many of the prestige offers in California, with neither UCLA and USC offering, but he’s a big body that seems to have some breakaway speed and good power. if we’ve learned anything in the past few years, some of the lower profile recruits end up being some of the guys that make the biggest impressions.
- Pregame Six Pack: The present and future of a key rivalry 0
- And in that corner… The USC Trojans 42
- Secondary depth chart reaches red-line status 14
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Louisville 96
- Five things we learned: Louisville 31, Notre Dame 28 246
- Pregame Six Pack: Battling Louisville in Senior sendoff 40