Sep 30, 2009, 4:00 PM EDT
Another small tidbit from the Charlie Weis press conference had to do with recruiting. Specifically some recruit poaching that may or may not be going on.
Rumors about blue-chip recruit Chris Martin had been floating around when Martin mentioned to a recruiting website that he’d possibly be taking an official visit to Florida — the place where Notre Dame verbal commits go to die. (See Trattou, Justin and Hunter, Omar for evidence)
I brought it up here last week, and wasn’t especially optimistic about the situation. But Weis was able to quell the storm and speak about the subject yesterday, without mentioning specifically the recruit in question. (Because, you know, that’s a recruiting violation.)
“Some of the things that these players tell you when you guys get a
chance to communicate with them and what they say to me might not
necessarily be the same thing; that’s the best way for me to say it.
“I have a very strong view on what a commitment is, and all these players clearly understand what that stance is.”
When Weis was pressed on his stance of “If they’re looking, we’re looking,” and his established precedence that committed prospects don’t take official visits to other schools, he again stayed confident.
“I’ll just once again — because I know the person in particular we’re
getting at — just say the communication between us has been very good.
Let’s just leave it at that.”
That should make Notre Dame fans feel a little bit better.
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame 132
- Academic misconduct investigation underway at Notre Dame 58
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season 130
- Ready or Not: Young Irish defenders making moves 82
- Kelly names Golson starting quarterback 78
- Irish A-to-Z: Max Redfield 56
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame (132)
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season (130)
- Kelly addresses academic investigation (128)
- Phillip Daniels feels confident son DaVaris will be cleared (92)
- Ready or Not: Young Irish defenders making moves (82)