Sep 30, 2009, 4:00 PM EDT
Another small tidbit from the Charlie Weis press conference had to do with recruiting. Specifically some recruit poaching that may or may not be going on.
Rumors about blue-chip recruit Chris Martin had been floating around when Martin mentioned to a recruiting website that he’d possibly be taking an official visit to Florida — the place where Notre Dame verbal commits go to die. (See Trattou, Justin and Hunter, Omar for evidence)
I brought it up here last week, and wasn’t especially optimistic about the situation. But Weis was able to quell the storm and speak about the subject yesterday, without mentioning specifically the recruit in question. (Because, you know, that’s a recruiting violation.)
“Some of the things that these players tell you when you guys get a
chance to communicate with them and what they say to me might not
necessarily be the same thing; that’s the best way for me to say it.
“I have a very strong view on what a commitment is, and all these players clearly understand what that stance is.”
When Weis was pressed on his stance of “If they’re looking, we’re looking,” and his established precedence that committed prospects don’t take official visits to other schools, he again stayed confident.
“I’ll just once again — because I know the person in particular we’re
getting at — just say the communication between us has been very good.
Let’s just leave it at that.”
That should make Notre Dame fans feel a little bit better.
- After high-profile academic mistakes, Notre Dame wisely examining new options 17
- Everett Golson transferring to Florida State 101
- KeiVarae Russell’s Return (or the greatest story we’re not talking about) 31
- Five things we’ve learned: Analyzing Everett Golson’s departure 125
- It’s official: Everett Golson will transfer (UPDATED) 171
- ESPN Report: Golson plans to transfer 18