Oct 9, 2009, 8:00 AM EDT
With a well deserved bye week this weekend, Coach Weis and his staff turn their attention to recruiting. While next weekend’s game against USC will be the premiere on-campus recruiting weekend, this weekend allows CW and his staff to hit the recruiting trail and see some of the top talent in the country.
Expect Charlie Weis to head to Florida, where he’ll watch a trio of recruits at St. Thomas Aquinas high, which is quickly becoming a pipeline to South Bend. (Sam Young, Dan Wegner, Ben Turk, and Jordan Cowart are all alums.) Weis will be keeping an eye on blue-chippers Brandon Linder, a hulking offensive tackle, running back Giovanni Bernard, and cornerback Cody Riggs.
Expect Brian Polian to be cruising some familiar territory as he comes to the West Coast to watch a large contingent of recruits like Anthony Barr, Sean Parker, Dietrich Riley, and running back Jordon James.
IrishSportsDaily.com reports that Corwin Brown will also be in California, taking a look at blue-chip cornerback Josh Shaw and Hayes Pullard, who took his official visit last weekend to watch the Irish beat Washington. He may also visit Barr, who the Irish hope will follow his Irish roots and commit to the Irish.
Two rather well-discussed recruits, defensive end Chris Martin and all-world left tackle prospect Seantrel Henderson, both expect to get visits from members of the Irish coaching staff as well.
Seven coaches can hit the road recruiting at the same time, so expect Irish coaches to be roaming stadiums this weekend, just most of them doing so on Friday nights instead.
- For Golson, challenges won’t disappear now that he’s at FSU 52
- After high-profile academic mistakes, Notre Dame wisely examining new options 38
- Everett Golson transferring to Florida State 105
- KeiVarae Russell’s Return (or the greatest story we’re not talking about) 31
- Five things we’ve learned: Analyzing Everett Golson’s departure 125
- It’s official: Everett Golson will transfer (UPDATED) 172