Mr. Floyd shall return (just not in time for USC)

Oct 13, 2009, 12:52 PM EST

I’ve been holding off on blatant speculation, but Charlie Weis delivered good news to the Irish faithful today in his press conference remarks when talking about the status of sophomore wide receiver Michael Floyd.

“Today is the first day we’re letting him run around in pads,” Weis said. “The players will be surprised to see him running around in pads. I believe there’s a CAT scan on November 2nd, would be six weeks. It’s the second or third of November, right before the Pittsburgh game.

“Fingers crossed, the earliest we’d get him back is Pittsburgh.”

Seeing (Mister) Michael Floyd in pads today hopefully makes his teammates feel like running through walls. (I know I’ve already exchanged about 10 text messages with friends) and makes you wonder if Floyd won’t put the full-court press on Weis to let him get out on the field this weekend against the Trojans.

While I just finished typing Weis’ own words saying that the earliest we could see Floyd is Pitt, could you imagine if you run Floyd out there on Saturday, the reaction that would ripple through the stadium? At the very least, think about the decoy he’d be…

After doing some research, six weeks does seem to be the magic number for collarbone breaks, and I know I’m hallucinating with the idea of Floyd hitting the field this weekend, but if you’re Weis, do you at least let him dress this weekend, just to give the Trojans’ defensive staff something to worry about?

Where is Mr. Miyagi when you need him?

1. Nate - Oct 13, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Isn’t the 2nd before the Navy game on the 7th? Pitt is on the 14th. That would be awesome to see him on the field before the Pitt game. Hopefully, he’s healthy. Pitt, Conn, and Stanford should be tough games….so we could definitely use him for the stretch run!

2. jan - Oct 13, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Fantastic news!! I would love to see him fully dressed on the sidelines for this game….maybe even leading the Irish out of the tunnel. Have the Observer “leak” a story on Fri or Sat (am) that he was miraculously cured in the grotto. Sales of holy water taken from the lakes on campus might be enough to jumpstart the worldwide economy. How about we find a Floyd look alike (does he have a twin brother) that could dress up and run a play or two….Back to reality, great news…if for no other reason than the mental boost to team mates and fans alike. Timing for beginning Nov return sounds realistic. My son broke his collarbone playing H.S. lacrosse, and 6 weeks was the timeframe. At 4 weeks or so, he had enough mobility to play golf; clearly not even 80-90% until 5 weeks plus. However, he did not have the surgery/plate treatment AND Floyd is clearly a far superior athlete, superior training, medical attention, etc…

3. matt - Oct 13, 2009 at 6:01 PM

I am starting to hear rumors that Floyd will play this Saturday.

4. jan - Oct 14, 2009 at 12:04 AM

Matt…love the rumors, even if just for the twist it could put on USC to prepare for another scenario. I still doubt it. Can’t imagine the coaches taking a chance of even using him as a decoy if there’s even a remote possibility that a more serious injury could result.

5. Fisher - Dec 26, 2009 at 12:56 AM

Only want to say your article is astounding. The clearness in your post is simply impressive and i can take for granted you are an expert on this field. Well with your permission allow me to grab your rss feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the sound work.

6. ShannaYork - Apr 3, 2010 at 3:52 PM

People all over the world receive the credit loans from various banks, just because that’s comfortable and fast.