Recruiting recap

Oct 19, 2009, 3:00 PM EDT

One of the better ways to pull ourselves out of the USC hangover is to take a quick look at the recruits that came and visited over the weekend. As I mentioned before the game, there was an abundance of talent on campus, and from the sounds of it, the early returns are very good.

First some info on the commitment that Notre Dame snagged this weekend.

* Tai-ler Jones has to be a great get for Notre Dame fans. Originally committed to Stanford, but still taking official visits, Irish faithful had to feel like they had a good chance at swaying Jones once he saw campus on a game day, especially when you take into consideration that his father Andre Jones played for the 1988 National Championship Irish.

Turns out that hunch was correct. Right after Jones got home from the visit he decommitted to Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh and called up Notre Dame recruiting coordinator Rob Ianello.

“Awesome,” Jones told Irish Illustrated about Ianello’s reaction. “He said he can’t wait to get my application in and get me enrolled in January.”

The fact that Jones is an early enrollee has got to be more good news for Irish fans, as the ability to poach a recruit is much harder with him getting on campus after the holidays.

Another plus is the fact that Jones is immediately going to work for the Irish staff.

“I’m going to try and work on Seantrel and Louis Nix,” Jones said. “I spoke to both of them and they said that they enjoyed their visit a lot and had a lot of interest in the school. That’s a good base to have.”

* Other big name recruits had plenty of good things to say about the weekend as well.  Blue-chip safety Dietrich Riley, who is also being heavily courted by USC had such a good time this weekend that he’s going to come back again, this time on his own dime, so his mom can see Notre Dame.

“It was incredible,” Riley said. “It was better than I expected. I
loved it there. I want to go back but this time, take my mother with
me. There were so many great things about it but ironically, the thing
that probably stood out the most for me was the area itself.

“A
lot of college coaches have been telling me negative things about it,
saying Notre Dame was in the middle of nowhere but I really liked it.
It’s a family environment and reminds me a lot of my high school. The
people there were so kind and it’s just a first class place. Even the
girls there all dress professionally and you don’t see that at a lot of
other places.”

Surprise, surprise on the negative recruiting tactics, but it’s still great to see that Riley obviously enjoyed the visit, and it also looked like he formed a bond with fellow California recruit Josh Shaw. Those two would be great reloads for the ND secondary.

A few other names that I’ve been seeing that enjoyed the weekend:

* Seantrel Henderson wasn’t talking yet, but his dad talked to Irish Sports Daily, and he said all the right things about Notre Dame.

* Chris Martin spoke with Irish Illustrated, and gave a quote that must make Notre Dame fans feel better about their chances.

“I did learn that this team is a lot closer than what I expected to
being a national power like it used to be,” Martin said. “That was two
great football programs battling it out in a long-time rivalry. Nothing
more, nothing less, just a big-time rivalry game and a really good
game.”

It remains to be seen whether or not ND can withstand the heat schools like Florida and USC are putting on, but the visit came at a perfect time.

* Illinois wide receiver Kyle Prater, who is verbally committed to USC, opened the door a bit and now says that the Irish are in the running for him, though he’s still “committed” to the Trojans.

* Another Illinois wide receiver, Corey Cooper, is committed to the Illini, but with the SS Zook sinking, he’s taking a look at other schools. Cooper was on hand in South Bend, and was hosted on his visit by a graduate of his high school, Sergio Brown. Cooper is being recruited on both sides of the ball, and he’s going to make a decision on signing day… a sign that has to be considered a positive one for the Irish.

There have been rumors swirling that there are a few other recruits very close to pulling the commitment trigger, but nothing has been announced just yet. Either way, it’s pretty easy to tell that the game’s final score didn’t do much to take away from the experience of the recruits on campus.

1. TLNDMA - Oct 19, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Let’s hope, the D gets better and this team wins out like they should. That’ll keep the heat off Charlie and get ND to a decent bowl. That should help solidfy another strong recruiting class and keep the arrow pointing up. If Clausen (Jimmy Football) were then to come back for his senior year, a top 5 preseason ranking would follow. Unfotunately, in one way, every good game Jimmy plays puts him one step closer to the first round of the draft. Sam Bradford’s injury doesn’t help either.

2. Sharkey - Oct 19, 2009 at 7:33 PM

Awesome news!! Welcome to the Notre Dame Family Tai-ler Jones!
    The rest of you fellas come on in too… we’ll wait up for ya!

3. jan - Oct 19, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Very encouraging article, Keith. Would love to see a monthly update on the status of each recruit that visited this past weekend until signing day.

4. Jeff - Oct 20, 2009 at 11:43 AM

These kids will learn that ND is a 60 year commitment – not just 4. The ND family gives back for 60 more. I don’t have a National Championship ring – however – my ND class ring gets comments all over the country – it sounds like awe “Is that a Notre Dame ring?” Then again, they might just be surprised I’d be an ND grad. Either way, it’s a respect for me or the school.
    Welcome to these kids, from the sites I’ve read: Thay are all great kids. When all things are rebalanced in the universe, and they soon will be: We will win again! We will dominate again! Because? WE ARE ND… and they’re not!!!!!!!!!!!

5. DocSavage - Oct 20, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Sure, Weis is a great recruiter and the new kids will likely push ND upwards next year. Okay. But THIS year isn’t over yet, and THE DESTRUCTION OF ND IS AMERICA’S MANDATE!!!
    Chances are that Boston College isn’t up to the task—they’ve never had the fire in the belly like USC does, and the rest of ND’s schedule is mostly bottom-feeding creampuff jobs like BC—but don’t worry: PITTSBURGH will be ready to step up to the KILL in mid-November!!
    For way too long, the national pimps at BCS and NBC have practiced extreme favortism towards ND, their favorite hoochie girl. Big undeserved TV paychecks every week, scheming and conniving ND into the big bowls ahead of far more deserving schools. But America is gonna bring all that backroom boudoir bizness to JUSTICE this very year!!!
    Remember, one more loss means NO BCS BOWL FOR ND!!! Pittsburgh is ready to SMASH ND all the way!!! This is America’s command!!!

6. Ted - Oct 20, 2009 at 10:32 PM

DocSavage, you are one sick…you know what…! Did Notre Dame reject your admission?

7. Irish Eyes - Oct 21, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Seantrel Henderson – that’s all we need to say. We have to have this guy. I’m from MN at this guy is the real deal!

8. pkcity - Oct 22, 2009 at 10:13 AM

No, Doc is just a graduate of BYU, and still believes that they deserved their National Championship in the 80’s by beating a six win Michigan team. He’s just a little PO’d that a good Mormon like like Manti would choose a sinner school that sold their soul like ND.
    I heard he just enrolled at Boise St in their Masters program, just so he can say he was there when the BCS jobbed them out of a national championship.
    Go away Doc. You are why we need healthcare reform!!!

9. Dan - Oct 22, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Thanks Keith for the balanced reporting. With all the hoopla going on about Coach Weiss does anyone else notice that the recruits are commenting positively on the very things the competition bad mouths ND for. This is really the most positive thing that Charlie Weiss has done. He has taken all the excuses out of recruiting because he has been able to get blue chip recruits who come to ND BECAUSE of the academic standards, the real college degree and god forbid “women who dress professionally”. He sells ND to these kids using the very things that the negative recruiters try to bash ND for – and it works.
    ND is ND not because of our Heisman winners and our natiional championships. It is ND because of its pursuit of excellence in all phases of the students lives. That goal is what is standing out to these recruits.
    The future is bright because of the quality these young people bring.
    GO IRISH

10. SHOES INSOLES - Dec 31, 2009 at 7:07 AM

Hi there guys, all man’s situations have their ups and downs. We feel those of the here and now but never see nor feel those of the future

11. HEEL LIFTS - Jan 4, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Hi, thanks for a fantastic post, a truly great beginning for the 2010, keep up the great work, Rachel.

12. college degree paper - Jan 18, 2010 at 2:01 PM

I am a parent of a highschool girl. She is very interested in software engineering. I am considering sending her to get a college-degree in engineering but I am aftraid it does not suit a girl.

13. shoe lifts - Jan 24, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Excellent work. You have gained a new reader. Please keep up the good work and I await more of your absorbing posts. may I incorporate a link for this post in my site please?

14. shoe inserts - Jan 24, 2010 at 2:09 PM

I have found an impeccable site for shoe inserts and would really like to share it with your readers, I hope this is acceptable?

15. Brendon Summerset - Feb 3, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Hello there, great blog, I really enjoyed reading this. the post gave me the momentum to attempt my own blog, please see my blog by clicking my name at the top of this post, thanks

16. Steve Rodgers - Feb 6, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Great article and thanks for writting this article.

17. Tajuana Cestia - Feb 13, 2010 at 9:30 PM

I saw this really great post today, found it on yahoo. i think i may return some time.

18. Printer Ink Cartridges - Feb 14, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! I’m sure you had joy writing this article http://www.net

19. Printer Ink Cartridges - Feb 14, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Thanks for taking the time to write. Im always reading something new. Best regards,http://www.yourherpestreatment.info

20. Taylor F. Gautreaux - Feb 18, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Hey, absolutlty love the site and will definatley be coming back in the near future!

21. Donny Mancos - Feb 18, 2010 at 11:37 PM

Thanks for the good information.