Irish might have added another blue chip this weekend

Oct 26, 2009, 7:30 AM EST

When Notre Dame fans look back at this year’s loss to Southern Cal, they might be forced to re-catalog the last second heart-breaker to the Trojans. That’s because when it’s all said and done, the Irish might have lost the game on the field, but won the recruiting war off of it.

Earlier this week, Rivals.com’s Mike Farrell took a look at the visitors that the Irish hosted and marveled at how the Irish increased their chances with some of the very best prep prospects in the nation.

Defensive lineman Chris Martin? Sounds rock solid for the Irish. Mammoth left tackle Seantrel Henderson? Now it’s a two-team battle with Ohio State. USC commit Kyle Prater? His family is hoping for him to stay closer to his Illinois home and the Irish impressed them. Defensive tackle Louis Nix? Not so committed to Miami anymore. Cornerback Lamarcus Joyner? Enjoyed his visit to ND better than his trip to Columbus. Farrell didn’t stop there, and thinks the Irish helped themselves with every big-time recruit that stepped on campus.

Now reports come that the Irish got a commitment this weekend from one of the players that Farrell didn‘t think was that impressed during that fateful weekend.

Recruiting guru Tom Lemming spoke with Eric Hansen of the South Bend Tribune and reports that big-time running back Giovanni Bernard will be committing to the Irish soon. After a quick perusal of the ND recruiting sites, it looks like they’re all scrambling to confirm the news, but Bernard isn’t talking. Which is a good thing for Notre Dame in my opinion.

Even better is that Bernard isn’t the only St. Thomas Aquinas recruit the Irish are pursuing. Cornerback Lamarcus Joyner and offensive lineman Brandon Linder are both very high on the Irish coaching staff’s wish list, and before the news on Bernard broke, both were considered better shots to end up in an Irish uniform than Bernard.

The Notre Dame coaching staff has built a pipeline into this Fort Lauderdale high school, where they pulled long-snapper Jordan Cowart and punter Ben Turk from last year, and offensive linemen Dan Wegner and Sam Young in years previous. While running back isn’t one of the Irish’s more pressing needs, playmakers like Bernard — who has offers from Alabama, Florida State, Miami, Florida, and Tennesse — certainly can’t hurt.

1. And?? - Oct 26, 2009 at 10:35 PM

How is this different than any other year? We still won’t win the big games- these recruits just get suckered into playing for a mediocre program that lives in the past-wake up people – we are irrelevant in today’s day and age of college football. When’s the last time we won an NC…or a bcs gAme for that matter- in otherwords…. Who cares! I feel sorry for these kids.
    ’89ndchris

2. jan - Oct 26, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Chris, I couldn’t disagree with you more on so many levels. If you can’t see the difference between these teams and the teams under Davies and Willingham, I wouldn’t know where to begin a discussion. I invite you to read the best selling business book “From Good to Great”. Draw the analogies from business success and breakthrough greatness to that in college football. Then let’s talk relevance.
    ’69ndjan

3. Eddie Luevano - Oct 26, 2009 at 11:07 PM

I have followed Notre Dame since the Paul Hornung days. That has been over 50 years. I wish the University well in its football recruiting. Bring ND back to the glory days. I am sure without a doubt that the players will rise to a new level of play that had not been seen in years. God bless you all.

4. KRM - Oct 26, 2009 at 11:17 PM

ND loses a game, but wins over recruits. You’ve got to be yanking my chain. Recruits gravitate to the loser? Knowing Clausen will likely be gone this year? And, Chuck Weis is on a seat so hot that it’s smoking? Yes, ND will get its share of good recruits, but don’t try to sell me on this turning water into wine BS.

5. Pete Morgan - Oct 26, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Last-second heart breaker? What a joke…after a very very impressive throw-catch for a TD….ND got a tipped interception and some VERY QUESTIONABLE CALLS against the SC defense put the Irish in a position to tie the game…but even with two chances, they couldn’t do it.
    If this game were played in LA, SC wins by three TDs…ND is a ‘fake Catholic’ school (see May’s headlines)…with a fake coach and a waning, irrelevant program.

6. Ryan E. - Oct 27, 2009 at 12:39 AM

I don’t think that many blue chip recruits are impressed by Notre Dame these days. Mediocre coaches, losing seasons, and cold winters are all horrible. IMO, blue chip recruits will gravitate to USC (NFL Football Factory) because of great coaches, competition, sunny & warm environment, media exposure (L.A.- Hollywood), championship tradition, and HOT ATTRACTIVE WOMEN!!!
    A con is competition. Blue chip recruits will not sign with USC due to competition everyday; like the NFL. EG. Jimmy Clausen signed with ND over USC because Mark Sanchez was there. Scared him off.

7. Fat Charley - Oct 27, 2009 at 1:32 AM

I suck as a coach! My players choke in big games, I wanna pizza! OINK OINK

8. Realist! - Oct 27, 2009 at 12:00 PM

After all the hype about Charlie, his two biggest wins are close losses against SC. My how the mighty have fallen! Even after watering down the schedule to duck as many real teams as possible the Irish are horrible. Keep drinking the koolaid…Powlus will win two Heisman trophhies and Claussen will get four Natty rings. Okay with me if you want to fire Willingham…but how in the world does Weis keep his job. He’s just good enough to keep the dreamers hopeful but bad enough to NEVER get ND where they deserve to be, at or near the top of college football. Many of us face the same problem with our companies, do we fire the okay producer or just keep on plodding along? “We’re going to play nasty!” Right, just beat BC for the first time in years and haven’t beat SC since Moses was a boy. Take your medicine and get a real coach.Sad sad time for ND. The class school of ND deserves better.

9. klf - Oct 27, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Tom lemming the recruiting guru, what is this site on, CRACK

10. Tim - Oct 27, 2009 at 10:05 PM

Wow Keith, your blue and gold colored glasses seem to be getting extra foggy these days.
    Good recruiting classes is nothing new for Notre Dame. Weis has recruited really well the last 4 years, yet Notre Dame still seems to struggle. Charlie and staff clearly don’t know how to develop talent.
    We’ve been hearing the “Notre Dame is turning the corner” drivel for the last 4 years. (Yawn) Wake me when Notre Dame is actually able to beat a ranked team.

11. CD Rates - Jan 7, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Lennar shares were up almost 6 percent in premarket trading to $14.50, from Wednesday’s close of $13.70.

12. Weight Loss Made Easy - Jan 18, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Dieting is much easier than it used to be because of the modern tricks are being practiced today.

13. Kermit Terrasas - Jan 23, 2010 at 5:03 PM

You made some good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most people will agree with your blog.

14. NFL news - Feb 3, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

15. Nicolette Salum - Feb 15, 2010 at 2:09 PM

If I would have read this a few years ago, I’m not sure what I would have thought.. but today I agree with everything in this post.