Oct 28, 2009, 7:30 AM EST
Even though Jimmy Clausen hasn’t put up monster numbers the past few weeks, he’s still in the thick of things for the Heisman Trophy. According to Chris Huston, a.k.a. The Heisman Pundit, and his recent straw poll, Clausen is running second behind Alabama’s Mark Ingram.
Even more interesting, wide receiver Golden Tate has made an appearance in the rankings, jumping all the way to #6. In case you’re thinking this is just some random blogger making predictions, the panel is made of actual Heisman voters including Mike Bianchi of the Orlando Sentinel, Teddy Greenstein and Brian Hamilton of the Chicago Tribune, Olin Buchanan and Tom Dienhart of Rivals, Jenni Carlson of The Oklahoman, Bruce Feldman and J.B. Morris of ESPN, Austin Murphy, B.J. Schecter, and Stewart Mandel of Sports Illustrated, and Dick Weiss of the New York Daily News.
One thing is for certain, no one is quite sure who is going to step up and actually win the trophy. Here’s a great snippet from the Pundit Poll.
“I have no explanation for my ballot,” said one voter. “I have no rhyme or reason for my ballot. It has become the award nobody wants to win. I put Mark Ingram No. 1 on my ballot just because. I’m sitting here alone in my office cubicle with an empty ballot waiting for a worthy candidate to emerge.”
Here’s the Top 10 as of yesterday (First place votes in parentheses):
1) Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama — 56 (9)
2) Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame — 26 (1)
3) Colt McCoy, QB, Texas — 25
4) Tim Tebow, QB, Florida — 23 (1)
5) Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska — 15 (1)
6) Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame — 10 (1)
6) Case Keenum, QB, Houston — 10
8) Jacquizz Rodgers, RB, Oregon State — 8
8) Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State — 8
10) Eric Berry DB, Tennessee — 4
If Notre Dame wins out, and if the Irish do so, they’ll do it behind a potent offensive attack, it’s not ridiculous to think that two Notre Dame players could be invited to New York for the Heisman proceedings.
- And in that corner… The USC Trojans 41
- Secondary depth chart reaches red-line status 14
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Louisville 96
- Five things we learned: Louisville 31, Notre Dame 28 246
- Pregame Six Pack: Battling Louisville in Senior sendoff 40
- After unexplainable loss, can Irish rally again? 94