The curious case of Harrison Smith

Oct 30, 2009, 7:30 AM EST

As Notre Dame fans turned the page on the disappointing 2008 season, many looked ahead to the 2009 season and started filling in the blanks. A returning offensive line. Skill positions largely untouched. A year of weight-training and experience along the defensive front. Linebackers buoyed by Manti Te’o. A veteran secondary moving Harrison Smith back to his natural position to replace David Bruton.

The fit seemed perfect. Smith, one of Notre Dame’s best and most athletic defenders would bring his speed back to free safety, a position he was recruited to play and where he practiced exclusively during his redshirt freshman season.

Let’s just say things haven’t gone according to plan.

While Terrail Lambert also graduated, most assumed the Irish secondary would improve, vastly underestimated the effect the loss of David Bruton would have on the passing defense. Last season, Notre Dame ranked 44th nationally against the pass, allowing 195 yards per game and allowing quarterbacks to complete only 54 percent of their throws.

This year, with Smith manning the safety position opposite Kyle McCarthy, the defense has plummeted to 117th nationally, giving up nearly 290 yards a game and allowing quarterbacks to complete 59% of their throws. In basic terms, the Irish defense is giving up around the same amount of yardage that Jimmy Clausen throws for on a weekly basis. Last year, the Irish gave up closer to Cody Hawkins yardage (who just lost his job). There’s a big difference between Jimmy Clausen and Cody Hawkins. And there’s a big difference between this year’s Irish passing defense and last season’s Irish passing defense.

The issues aren’t as simple as saying that Harrison Smith is the problem, but the challenges Smith has had this year in his transition back to the secondary have been very noticeable. It was a flawed assumption many Irish fans (not to mention the coaching staff) made this season when they thought Smith would be able to fill the shoes of Bruton, who was one of the best centerfielders the Irish have had at safety for years. While people have credited Kyle McCarthy for his stellar play this year, the truth of the matter is that Kyle’s also at his best down in the box, not roaming free in the secondary and breaking on the ball. In essence, the Irish defense has been getting scorched because the two defenders most integral in playing a good two-deep scheme have been mediocre in Cover 2.

In Harrison’s defense, the growing pains should’ve been expected. Smtih has been forced to relearn many of the things he fought to make habits last season. As an undersized strong-side linebacker, Smith was forced to learn how to take on linemen, how to read run keys, and how to make a linebackers aggressive nature his first reaction. Backpedaling was substituted with pursuit drills. ball skills were traded for pass-rush moves. Taking into consideration the change, it’s easy to understand why he’s been a step late when trying to make a play on the ball.

Smith’s long been known as a tireless worker, and the change is something he understands. “I had some games I didn’t think I played very well in,” Smith said about his play thus far. “Sometimes I think I’ll be too aggressive when I’m playing safety,” Smith said. “You can do that more when you’re done there.”

Down there is in the box, being used in Jon Tenuta’s blitz schemes, far away from the centerfield position he was asked to roam.

“You kind of have to fight a little bit more, have a little bit more of an aggressive mentality,” Smith said about playing linebacker.

For the Irish pass defense, one of the keys to turning things around is making the right decisions second nature. And while it might force the Irish to find creative ways for both Smith and Darius Fleming to be on the field together, it’s a much better alternative than what’s been happening.

1. tbone - Oct 30, 2009 at 10:27 AM

So let’s say he has been a step late or 4 or 5 at times… takes really bad angles as receivers and backs turn the corner on him and probably other things I can’t see from the camera angles on TV. One thing I know for sure is that Smith doesn’t tackle well – and that doesn’t change when you move from one position to another. Every time I see an Irish defender bouncing off of a ball carrier, it is #22 laying on the ground. Not only that, he takes guys to Tennessee for the great game day experience and gripes about the cold weather in South Bend. Take this “athlete”, put him on the bench over by the heaters and he can comb his hair and let someone play who can at least tackle and not whine about the 45 degree weather…

2. TLNDMA - Oct 30, 2009 at 4:16 PM

I don’t think there was any question Smith was a weak link in the secondary, enough so that trying someone else could not make things worse. I have to wonder how he could possibly be a good enough linebacker to move past so many others on the depth chart. I think sometimes a coach, Tenuta in this case, becomes enamored with a player in practice, and due to that cannot see the poor results in a game, or at least makes excuses for his “boy’. Smith might bring some extra quickness on blitzes, but at 205lbs. won’t teams try to run right over him. I really feel for the kid though, as every fan can see how poorly he is playing and therefore so much of the blame is being put on him. I have people talking to me about ND, who are not fans, and one of the first things they say to me is “who’s #22, he’s lousy”. Too bad. I hope the D and he improve>

3. Dan - Dec 3, 2009 at 9:37 AM

There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in your article also.

4. Nevin Soleson - Dec 8, 2009 at 5:55 PM

Excellent posting, You make impressive points in a concise and pertinent fashion, I will read more of your stuff, thank you for your time.

5. Rowing machine mats - Dec 18, 2009 at 10:26 PM

While this matter can be very difficult for most people, my belief is that there has to be a middle or common ground that we all can find. I do value that you’ve added pertinent and sound commentary here though. Thank you!

6. Lonnie Delia - Jan 12, 2010 at 3:17 PM

That is some inspirational stuff. Never knew that opinions could be this varied. Thanks for all the enthusiasm to offer such helpful information here.

7. Paulene Zinkievich - Jan 16, 2010 at 6:08 AM

Hi buddy, your blog’s design is simple and clean and i like it. Your blog posts are superb. Please keep them coming. Greets!!!

8. Legalsounds - Jan 16, 2010 at 10:30 AM

We just couldnt leave your website before saying that we really enjoyed the quality information you offer to your visitors… Will be back often to check up on new stuff you post!

9. Mothercare - Jan 16, 2010 at 10:38 AM

I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business.

10. Baseball news - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:31 PM