Brown takes issue with Navy coach's comments

Nov 12, 2009, 10:30 AM EDT

(UPDATED WITH VIDEO)

Before Corwin Brown spoke about the upcoming game with Pittsburgh, he had to get something off his chest. Specifically, Brown took issue with Navy coach Ken Niumatalolo’s comments in his postgame press conference, where he made a comment that started with “I really hope this doesn’t come across wrong,” that called out the Notre Dame coaching staff’s game plan.

Well coach, it definitely came across wrong, because that quote was used by just about every reporter covering the game.

And not surprisingly, it ticked Corwin off.

“I thought it was very disappointing what the Navy head coach said after the game. He didn’t want something to be misconstrued, but then he said it, regarding how we prepared and what we prepared to do. We came out in the second half — minus one mess up — they don’t get anything.

“Whether you think it’s the right thing to say or not, in this profession, all the classy guys that I’ve watched and played under and studied, they would never say a thing like that. To say that we didn’t prepare well or have a game plan, that’s crazy.

“I don’t ever get up here and talk about the illegal cut blocks. They hit Puppy (Brian Smith) illegally last year, and put him out. They hit RJ (Robert Blanton) on one of the most malicious plays I’ve ever seen since I’ve been playing and I called him about it. I told him I thought it was very poor. He probably thought I called because we lost, I was going to say something to him before the game, but I didn’t. Very malicious. And in this game, which we’re supposed to be playing for our kids and working for our kids, you don’t let your players do something like that.

“Now, Coach Weis and Coach Tenuta do a great job getting us prepared on offense and defense. I don’t care what foxhole they’re in, I’m jumping in the foxhole with them every time. We had a damn good game plan. And that’s all I’ve got to say.”

First off, good for Corwin, getting that off his chest. That comment immediately reminded me of the classic Bill Parcells rant that got him in so much trouble with Asian Americans. (If you don’t remember, google it… I’m not linking to it.) Here’s a good rule to carry with you. If you’re about to say, “no offense” or “don’t take this the wrong way,” you can pretty much assume that what you are saying is 1) offensive or 2) going to be taken the wrong way.

As for Niumatalolo’s comment, there might have been some validity to it, but it’s one of those things that you probably don’t want to say. (Similar to proclaiming you might have a “decided schematic advantage” over other coaches.)

I remember watching the replay on that illegal cut block on Blanton and thinking to myself that if it wasn’t a Navy player doing that, he’d get shredding. But that’s one of the other elements that go into playing Navy, the sentiment that because they’re a service academy and because they are heroic off the football field that they’re above reproach.

While it’s too late this season, and possibly too late for Charlie Weis and this coaching staff, I expect the gloves to come off next season.

1. Nate - Nov 13, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Robert you need to read the rule book. Cut blocks are legal except for a few situations. Accidents do happen however. I’ve only seen 3 Navy games this year but I don’t remember any flags for illegal blocks. The play in question was cheap but he did get his head across.
    Moaning about it after losing to Navy just makes you look like a bunch of whiney losers. You gave up over 300 yards rushing to a triple option team. ND’s defense plays undisciplined football and tackles poorly. It shouldn’t have been a surprise. That all comes down to coaching.
    Every team since Charlie was hired has been weak on fundamentals, especially on the defensive side of the ball. None of CW’s teams have been particularly physical either.
    Be happy you don’t have to play Georgia Tech. Paul Johnson’s team would’ve rung up 600+ on that sorry excuse of a defense last saturday.

2. Bill - Nov 13, 2009 at 2:47 PM

The gloves are coming off? After hearing all the bluster about how you’re going to pay USC back for beating you time and time again, ND’s threats aren’t all that scary.
    Fear the Goat.

3. leomcm - Nov 13, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Navy can make a lot of teams look bad. They made ND look like crap. Oh well. Live with it. What this team needs is to get their heads out of their you know what’s and play like hell for the rest of the season, take no prisoners, and let the chips fall where they may. I want to see some Pete Duranko’s, some Stonebreakers, some Hornungs who were hard as nails… oh yea, and a few Jim Lynch’s, who after beating the crap out of SC walk up to the SC team, remove their front bridge ( that’s teeth) to you youngsters, and say yap, yap, yap! Stop your F in complaining. Let the other guys complain because of some “A” kickin’ block that knocks the “S” out of one of their players. Come on “C B”. Yap! Yap! Yap!

4. KT - Nov 14, 2009 at 7:43 AM

After thinking about it, here’s what I heard Coach Brown say in the presser:
    “Does anyone have any Vagisil I can borrow? It really hurts! Those Navy men were pretty rough. I hope those Sailors didn’t give me the ####!! That wouldn’t be fair, and I’m really angry about how they treated me.”

5. mike teaster - Nov 14, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Why did ND have gloves on

6. irishfanintx - Nov 14, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Just curious–Does anyone know how many times in the last 5 years a NCAA team has been flagged for roughing the center on a field goal attempt?

7. b dune - Nov 14, 2009 at 6:27 PM

“gloves are off” – you better check that – ND has been playing like they are wearing “mittens”

8. mike ford - Nov 14, 2009 at 7:50 PM

I would like to know too and my guess would be 0

9. ndndnd - Nov 14, 2009 at 11:27 PM

Hey, all you ND fans crying about Navy cut blocking, you guys just got called for an illegal chop block that lost you the game. You all should be ashamed of yourselves for your dirty play.

10. ndndnd - Nov 14, 2009 at 11:28 PM

11. drew - Nov 15, 2009 at 3:09 AM

The point is the Irish got beat for a second straight time in our own back yard by an undermanned and undertalented team. I feel that they earn the right to say what they want to. I’m an Irish fan and the coaching staff just needs to man up and admit that you got beat.

12. domermom - Nov 15, 2009 at 2:54 PM

I’ve been an ND fan for the last 16 years, since my son first planned to attend ND. How much of the team’s current problems are due to the coaching staff I don’t know, but they’re pathetic these days. And this crybaby attitude is ridiculous. The Navey coach didn’t say anything terrible. And if I were Brown, I sure wouldn’t bring up the subject of personal fouls considering ND’s accumulation of them this year.

13. Gabriel Brienza - Feb 13, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Hey thanks for posting this, found it to be a interesting read after finding it on Lycos searching for similar topics and i will pass the link on to a few friends.

14. Winifred Grandmont - Feb 21, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Great post. My friend Adam told me about this blog a few weeks ago however this is the first time I am visting. I will definitely be back.

15. ERICA29Kaufman - Jul 4, 2010 at 2:30 AM

Every one acknowledges that modern life is not cheap, but different people require money for different stuff and not every one earns enough cash. Hence to get fast lowest-rate-loans.com and just car loan will be good solution.