Weis has no knowledge of any decision on his future

Nov 17, 2009, 1:38 PM EST

For those expecting fireworks during Charlie Weis’ standard Tuesday press conference, they were disappointed. With Weis’ Sunday press conference canceled Sunday, he took the first segment of the presser to answer questions regarding the Pitt game then moved straight on to UConn.

Still, the most interesting bit from the press conference came when he asked about any decision made regarding his future.

“I don’t think that any decision has been made, because I probably would know,” Weis said. “And I don’t know. That being said, it’s full speed ahead. Full spead ahead to UConn, full speed ahead to Stanford, full speed ahead to recruiting.”

This seems to mesh with the comments out of athletic director Jack Swarbrick, who said he’ll evaluate the program after the season.

Looks like we’ve got two more solid weeks of this speculation. (Fun times!)

I’ll have more thoughts on the press conference later this afternoon…

1. JLD - Nov 17, 2009 at 4:03 PM

15 yard penalty on Charlie for Sucking!!!!

2. IndyTom - Nov 17, 2009 at 4:42 PM

I happen to be in the keep Weis minority, but I have to note that “full speed on recruiting” in a blatant warning that conjecture on his job will kill the lifeblood of the program. He’s using that 1600 SAT there, isn’t he!

3. mrrandolph - Nov 17, 2009 at 5:10 PM

If CW is such a good recruiter, than his last few recruiting classes should carry the Irish through until the next coach’s recruits get into place. Afterall, the next two years Juniors and Seniors should dominate the lineup.

4. Dustin - Nov 17, 2009 at 5:39 PM

He’ll know when they give him his walking papers.

5. TLNDMA - Nov 17, 2009 at 5:48 PM

What could happen, in the next two weeks, that could be that big of an issue to change Swarbrick’s mind? One more win? One more loss? Two? If he is waiting to make his decision after the season, he is making a mistake. His answer should come no later than the monday after Stanford. By that time, if he is making a new hire, he should have his list narrowed to a select few at most, preferably one. If he keeps his current coach he needs to make that known asap, if only as a courtesy to him. The quicker he gets this done will give either, the old or new coach, firmer ground and more time in the recruiting battles to come. A new coach will also need time to put together a staff. Time will be precious after the last game. To delay will only hurt the football program, whichever way he decides.

6. wes - Nov 17, 2009 at 6:33 PM

one thing IS for sure “The higher ups have already made ther mind on charlie’s future”

7. JW - Nov 17, 2009 at 6:52 PM

I think the timing of this (assuming that he will be let go) presents a Catch-22. On one hand, you want to move forward as soon as possible for the reasons TLNDMA mentioned. However, it must be taken into consideration that most, if not all, of the candidates that are being mentioned are going to be leading their teams to January bowl games. It would be unlikely that any of these candidates would accept the ND job while a big bowl game still looms for them. ND would, therefore, be caught in the same situation as last time (coaching vacancy without a named successor), leaving them vulnerable to a repeat hiring fiasco.

8. Art the Mailman - Nov 17, 2009 at 7:37 PM

UConn should be a win BUT watch out for Stanford (at Stanford)! A Useless-c (U.S.C.) fan/Notre Dame hater asked me what Chartlie was going to do when he got canned. I told him that Charlie would probably go apply for the head coaching job at usc!! HA! Guess it’s time to move on, coach. And I say we bring Ara back!

9. mike ford - Nov 17, 2009 at 8:45 PM

GO CHARLIE!!! I LOVE YOU, DUDE I’m behind you 100% and that signature win may come in 2 weeks on this cake walk of a schedule everyone likes to talk about HA HA HA, YA “CAKEWALK”

10. sharkey - Nov 17, 2009 at 8:50 PM

I’m with you, mike!
    FIGHT ON IRISH!!

11. TLNDMA - Nov 17, 2009 at 8:51 PM

JW, it’s not at all unusual for teams to have an interim coach in bowl games, when a coach moves on to a new job.(WVU, 2yrs. ago, they won by the way)

12. Cal Rogers - Nov 17, 2009 at 8:53 PM

So much for “Too Big To Fail”.

13. sharkey - Nov 17, 2009 at 8:57 PM

If Charlie is replaced, anyone ever think of replacing him with Steve Spurier? I mean – think of the irony!

14. StephenOfTroy - Nov 17, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Art the mailman: Great joke about Weis applying for the head coaching job at USC. It would be hilarious, wouldn’t it, to see Mr. Arrogant waddle up the steps at Heritage Hall and have Mike Garrett laugh as he looked at Charlie’s resume before wadding it up and tossing it in the circular file while saying “3 and 9? Have a nice flight back to wherever the hell you came from, Mr. Weis. Hey, Pete, you got any beers in your office? I’m dry as the Sahara over here!”
    Good stuff. You stay classy. And ignorant.

15. Irish John - Nov 17, 2009 at 9:52 PM

CW can always go back to the NE Pats as Offensive Coordinator. Oh wait, they don’t have the opponents’ tapes anymore. Oh well, he might just have to try to beat the other guys the old fashioned way, Earn It!

16. JW - Nov 17, 2009 at 10:06 PM

TLNDMA, I understand that. However, I believe my concern is valid primarily because job hops in the situation I described happen very infrequently, and I believe that we all hope for someone with great integrity such that he would not alienate the players who have committed to him.

17. TLNDMA - Nov 17, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Agreed, that’s Swarbrick’s job. Integrity is at the top of the list. Let’s hope they never forget that.

18. JW - Nov 17, 2009 at 10:30 PM

And I think that we can both agree that, at the very least, the majority of the candidate pool is comprised of head coaches in that particular situation.

19. CBR - Nov 17, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave. CW’s new mantra…

20. mrrandolph - Nov 18, 2009 at 7:07 AM

I believe who that interim coach beat is everyone favorite new hire Bob Stoops.

21. NJ - Nov 18, 2009 at 7:08 AM

Hey Irish Fans – show a little class. I am a ND alum and a die-hard fan and I agree Charlie Weis is probably done at ND – rightly so. But no reason to name call behind your make believe name on the internet and make jokes. Charlie has been a good alum for us, too bad he can’t coach but he is still an Alum like us.
    If the posting are from fans of another school, get a freakin life…either start following a team which might be a bit relevant or start a blog on your own school. Don’t be coming back to me with how ND is not irrelevant just the fact that you took time to visit this blog, tells me ND will always be relevant
    Go Irish – let’s get a great coach!

22. jimmer136 - Nov 18, 2009 at 7:49 AM

ND Fans are your own worst enemy. 5 coaches in ten years (one of which didn’t even make it 90 days)is classic. What a way to build
    a dynasty. Keep putting unreal expectations on the position and you’ll get more of the same. Who in their right mind would want to coach here. Where it is ruled a failure if they don’t win the NCAA championship. I am sick and tired of every Coach being ran out of town. Pairity and patience, two keys to todays game. No one has long term dominance like ND had in the past and no team ever will again. Even Florida will be history after this year (the Tebow years). Be careful what you wish for, you just may get it, ND fan. More/consistant instability to an Historic program. You build any program from the bottom up, not top down. Try it for once and see what happens. might be surprised.
    Take it from a 10 year Season Ticket holder! I am tired of all the garbage from those setting around me who can coach better than who ever is in the hot seat on the sideline.

23. NJ - Nov 18, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Jimmer136 – you really think 5 years are NOT long enough? US President gets 4 years to overhaul healthcare, fix social security, fight/finish 2 wars, help avoid a depression, fight unemployment, deal with tough countries like Iran & North Korea………..

24. jkelley1000 - Nov 18, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Root Knocknee is rolling over in his grave. ND needs to start winning before they forget how. Bye bye Charlie.

25. dan e - Nov 18, 2009 at 12:49 PM

this is lock stock and barrell…….weis will be fired monday afternoon nov 30th and the new coach will be announced sometime after new years…….brian kelly…then we move forward