Teen's wish comes true at Notre Dame this weekend

Nov 20, 2009, 12:00 PM EST

While Senior Day brings emotions not usually seen on the football field, some of the most cherished memories this weekend will come from someone stepping onto the field at Notre Dame Stadium for the first time.

Fifteen-year-old Jacob Krauss has always dreamed of hitting the field inside the hallowed stadium, but his aspirations haven’t been to score a clutch fourth quarter touchdown. Jacob has always wished to make his mark at halftime, with the University of Notre Dame Marching Band.

“Notre Dame is America’s first marching band and best-known over the past 160 years,” Jacob said. “I want to play with the best.”

Thanks to the Make-A-Wish Foundation, Jacob’s dream is coming true.

While Jacob battles cystic fibrosis, his love of music has never wavered. Even after his school, Alameda High in Lakewood, Colorado, was forced to cancel its marching band due to a lack of student interest, Jacob continued to play multiple instruments, including the clarinet.

The Make-A-Wish Foundation, Notre Dame’s Office of News & Information, and Mike Williams, a Notre Dame alum who lives in Colorado all teamed to help Jacob fulfill his wish to play his clarinet alongside the marching band.

Joined by his mother and grandmother, Jacob was fitted for an official band uniform this morning. The rest of his Friday includes a private tour of Notre Dame stadium, a clarinet lesson with band instructor Alison Thigpen, and joining the band as they play in the final pep rally of the season at the Irish Green.

Game day will bring even more excitement for Jacob, as he’ll join the band for a pregame concert outside of Bond Hall. Jacob will be on the field during the band’s pregame performance, before joining his new mates in the Marching Band seats down on the field.

“We have a lot of fun activities planned for Jacob to make this a very special Notre Dame experience,” said Jennifer Laiber, who is spearheading the weekend events for ND’s News & Information department. “His passion for music and desire to play clarinet alongside our marching band has been an inspiration to everyone involved in planning Jacob’s wish.”

While Saturday’s game will be cherished by seniors stepping foot on the field for the last time, this first visit will be a dream come true for Jacob Krauss.

1. Chuck Varilek - Nov 23, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Congratulations to Jacob! As his middle school band director, I was always impressed with him, both as a musician and as a person. I watched the highlights on Channel 9 on Saturday night. What an honor! Keep playing your clarinet and if you ever want to play with the Estes Park bands again, come on back! P.S. Thanks to Notre Dame for making this available to Jacob.

2. 2late2matter - Nov 23, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Indifferent to ND’s football loss on Saturday, I am happy for Jacob’s “win”.
    ND has always represented a ‘quality’ collegiate program and Jacob playing with the best is a cherished memory for all involved. This exemplifies the generosity of humankind and the perseverence of one individual to succeed against all odds — Jacob Krauss.
    Wishing he and his family a Happy Thanksgiving.

3. Jack Burns - Dec 9, 2009 at 8:27 PM

I loved this long term care insurance site for quotes. To the point.

4. Jaye Tack - Dec 25, 2009 at 2:52 PM

This is some sweet blogging software. Which is it?

5. homo annuaire - Dec 26, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Hi from austria, good article. i’ll come back next week to see what’s new.

6. austriantvOnline - Jan 6, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Where can i subscribe to the site’s newletter .?

7. Jaclyn Egerer - Jan 14, 2010 at 3:30 PM

We just couldnt leave your website before saying that we really enjoyed the quality information you offer to your visitors… Will be back often to check up on new stuff you post!

8. Legal Sounds - Jan 15, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Aw, this was a really quality post. In theory I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real effort to make a good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and never seem to get something done.

9. college degree certificates - Jan 18, 2010 at 2:01 PM

I live in Chennai. I want to have a college degree in dancing but my father wants to send me to study medicine. How can I explain to him that funds and respect is not everything. Or at least, that you can earn it in other ways.

10. Long Term Care Insurance - Jan 18, 2010 at 6:24 PM

This is a very good long term care insurance site. They have a good online guide for long term care insurance.

11. chelsea fc wallpapers - Jan 20, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Where can I find a someone that can suggst me an Chennai hotel to stay in? I am going on business and want my trip to be eventless. I prefer a hotel by the water.

12. Irvin Rotruck - Jan 20, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Jetzt bringt mich Google schon das zweite mal auf deine Seite, darum sag ich nun auch mal Hallo.

13. Sammie Pelikan - Jan 23, 2010 at 5:03 PM

I thought it was going to be some boring old post, but it really compensated for my time. I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will find that very useful.

14. negative calorie foods list - Jan 29, 2010 at 5:32 AM

Hey, found your site by accident doing a search on Google but I’ll definitely be coming back. As for your post… I agree with a lot of what you’re saying here but wouldn’t it be just as easy to move on? I mean why mess with your quality of life if you don’t have to?

15. Sports News - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:29 PM

I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business.

16. firewall tester - Feb 5, 2010 at 12:43 PM

This blog is amazing I’m gonna put this in the bookmarks before I lose the link I don’t think I’ll ever make it back here again otherwise!

17. Cyril Seright - Feb 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Basic beauty/modeling challenge where young women complete to avoid elimination by the current “experts” in this field while discovering personal strengths/weaknesses. The mask

18. Lucy Loan - Feb 21, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Nice way of summing it up.. cheers The best things in life aren’t things

19. adjustable beds mattresses - Mar 4, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Great article with excellent idea! I appreciate your post. Thanks so
    much and let keep on sharing your stuffs.
    adjustable beds mattresses

20. Williamwatson - May 4, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Hey, the boy in the picture looks so pretty.
    Wishing one day I’ll have the time of my life marching with the greatest band in the nation like this.
    Cheer