O'Brien Award snubs Clausen

Nov 23, 2009, 5:00 PM EST

The Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award announced its three finalists, and Jimmy Clausen was not one of them.

Houston’s Case Keenum, Texas’ Colt McCoy, and Florida’s Tim Tebow will attend the ESPNU College Football Awards Show December 10th, with the winner announced that evening.

Keenum leads the nation in passing yards, averaging 414 yards per game and leading the country with 36 touchdown passes against only 6 interceptions. He’s attempted 53 more passes than the next closest quarterback in the country, but even then he’s averaging 8.3 yards per attempt, good for 16th in the country.

Tebow’s invitation was practically a foregone conclusion, even if his numbers were fairly pedestrian compared to his Heisman winning sophomore season. The same could be said for Colt McCoy, who fared quite well last awards season, even if he did lose the Heisman to close friend and rival quarterback Sam Bradford.

Yet it’s tough to compare the three finalists’ numbers with Clausen’s and make the argument that Jimmy should be staying home. Jimmy has a better passer rating than Tebow and McCoy, averages more yards an attempt than Keenum and McCoy, and has thrown less interceptions than all of them.

Still, with Notre Dame’s late season swoon, it’s easy to understand why Clausen didn’t get the nod over Keenum, a quarterback that is putting up absolutely gaudy numbers in a pass-happy system.

1. StephenOfTroy - Nov 28, 2009 at 9:47 PM

Did those of you who claim that Tebow doesn’t have an arm see him throw it 50 yards on the money for a TD against Florida today? Also, in case you missed it, his team won. Again. SCOREBOARD, in other words, gentlemen.

2. StephenOfTroy - Nov 28, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Oops, vs. Florida State. I wish I could blame “too much pregaming” for my typos.

3. Al - Dec 18, 2009 at 12:35 AM

See who gets picked higher in the NFL draft and gets the bigger contract. Trophy or Millions. I’ll take the cash anyday. So will JC/ Tebow and McCoy are not even projected first rounders. Allot of you guys are just plain dumb especially stephen of troy. When you try to come back on my comment, just read the first sentence again and shut up.

4. Domingo Mcmeen - Feb 3, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Hello there, awesome post, I truly enjoyed reading this. This blog gave me the momentum to attempt my own article, please check my article by clicking my name at the top of this post, Many thanks

5. Delmer Hoefert - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:32 PM

, great post, I truly enjoyed reading it. This post gave me the push to attempt my own article, please see my blog by clicking my name at the top of this comment, Many thanks