Tate finalist for Biletnikoff Award

Nov 24, 2009, 7:30 AM EDT

Looks like the awards committee got one thing right: Golden Tate is a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award.

Tate joins Texas’ Jordan Shipley and Bowling Green’s Freddie Barnes for the prestigious award given to the best wide receiver in college football. The winner will be announced on December 10th during the ESPNU College Football Awards.

Tate is fourth in the country in receiving yards per game and ninth in receptions. Barnes leads the country in receptions, touchdowns, and yards per game, while Shipley tails Tate in yards and touchdowns, but has eight more catches than Golden.

It’ll be interesting to see if the voters pick Barnes, who plays in an incredible offensive system over two higher-profile players. It’ll be more interesting if Tate can win the award over Shipley, a 6th-year-senior playing for undefeated Texas.

1. StephenOfTroy - Nov 24, 2009 at 1:23 AM

Barnes is the best receiver but plays for a team no one watches.
    Shipley plays for one of the top 2 or 3 teams in football.
    Tate has the most hype and the most nationally-televised games.
    I don’t see Barnes winning it, but he clearly deserves it. He has the best stats by far. And he’s the only one who got those stats without having a standout QB.
    I’d be a little surprised if Tate wins, but a player on a mediocre team has a better chance of winning the Biletnikoff than a similarly-situated player has of winning the Heisman, so it wouldn’t be shocking.
    Overall, I still carry a big grudge against Texas for the 2006 National Championship game. The only thing in the world I hate is Vince Young. So I wouldn’t mind seeing Tate win it. But that will just send the ND hype machine, aka NBC, into overdrive. Talk about a Hobson’s choice….

2. grandpashyena - Nov 24, 2009 at 3:20 PM

I agree with most of what you said. Barnes deserves the award for his individual effort this season without the supporting cast that Shipley and Tate have. After all Tate had the best quarterback in the history of college football tossing him the ball. (according to robertg) Please ease up on your grudge. This was one of the best games ever, by both teams. Now your best back in the game plays with Young. SC just got outscored on that particular day by a team that had something to prove and a player that felt he had something to prove. I think the way that the SC players, coaches and fans handled the loss was outstanding. To have such a streak ended must have been heart breaking, but they sucked it up and pushed on. Total class. Some teams would have whined, and made excuses. I’ve always admired USC both before and after the game, and I went to UT.

3. Dennis - Nov 24, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Tate only played better when Michael Floyd got hurt this season. That fact alone shows you that he is the best WR in the country. When Floyd was out, Tate was getting double covered all game, yet still managed to carry the team on his back. I don’t know much about Barnes, but if Shipley wins the award over Tate, there is something very wrong.

4. Ryan - Nov 24, 2009 at 7:25 PM

I go to Bowling Green–yet have been a lifelong ND fan–and have seen Barnes play quite a bit this year. While he doesn’t have the hype that surround Tate and Shipley, he is a sure a thing as I have ever seen. Yes, when Floyd went down Tate received more attention, but that’s what Barnes has been dealing with all year. He is only 14 catches away from the single-season record. He had 24 catches in a game earlier this year, and as said before, BG’s qb, Tyler Sheehan, is not anywhere near the level of Clausen or McCoy. Plus they have no running game to speak of. I could understand the “well he plays crappy MAC teams” argument, if his numbers were closer to what Tate and Shipley’s are. Yet people neglect the fact that Big 12 defenses are not very good, and ND hasn’t exactly played great defenses either. Bottom line is you don’t have 40 more catches then anyone else in the country by playing crappy teams. It would be a shame if Barnes were not to win.

5. StephenOfTroy - Nov 24, 2009 at 9:14 PM

grandpa: Great post. Two years ago, I went to a Dallas Cowboys game (my parents are huge fans, but I was only there to watch T.O.) and ended up spending 30 minutes after the game in a friendly but heated discussion with a female UT fan about Vince Young. She was REALLY drunk, which made the conversation fun for me.
    Since you showed so much class, grandpa, I will admit that Vince Young played a special game. (Just like the Texans last night, we just could NOT get him off the field on 3rd down, and when he ran it looked like someone was showing the tape on fast forward and all our guys were on pause.) I don’t think he deserved the Heisman; Bush was unbelievable that year. I’ll also spare you my usual spiel about how Young’s knee was down on one of their TD’s. I still cannot believe Bush tried that lateral after he’d already gained 50+ yards. And I have NO idea why Bush wasn’t in the game on that 4th-and-2. If only we still had Norm Chow up in the booth for that game, I’m sure he would have found a way to get two freakin’ yards. I still remember every play from that game, and there are no words for how I feel about it. The day after the loss, when I showed up at my office, one of the partners put “Hook ‘Em Horns!” on my door. He didn’t even go to a school that FIELDS a football team. You gotta have a thick skin in my line of work. :)
    Oh, and Ryan, good post as well. I agree that Barnes got all the defensive attention all year. I also agree that ND has played some TERRIBLE defenses this year (probably a push as to whether the defenses they face on Saturdays are worse than the one they face during mid-week scrimmages…). And if McCoy threw to Shipley as many times as Clausen throws to Tate (not receptions, but attempts) then Shipley’s numbers would be a lot better.

6. grandpashyena - Nov 25, 2009 at 8:20 AM

I;ve enjoyed all your posts. There used to be a saying that the mating call of a UT coed was “I’m so drunk!” So I know where you are coming from. I was astonished and thankful that Bush was not used more. He was unbelievable that entire year. When he did score, I thought it was over. I watched Young from his sophomore year in H.S. and he was amazing. He even played defense. He is what made Texas great that year. USC clearly had the better players but Youong just kept going. Mike Huff had a great game too. White was a real force and I was amazed that UT stopped him. We have come up a little short so many times. A friend of mine’s kid played for SC years ago and I’ve followed them since then. Great program. I wish Chow was still there.

7. StephenOfTroy - Nov 26, 2009 at 4:27 PM

grandpa, thanks for giving me the visual of Vince Young playing defense. “That’s gonna replace the whale in my nightmares!” (Sea Captain on the Simpsons, after being shown a picture of Patty and Selma with unshaven legs) What position did he play?
    The mating call thing is funny. A lot of schools have that joke. They almost all seem to be Southern schools, not sure what to make of that. :)
    We had great players in that title game but we didn’t seem to call plays that took advantage of their abilities. Probably because Norm Chow wasn’t in the booth. But excuses are like a-holes: Everyone has one, and everyone else’s stinks. Texas beat us, period.
    I’m glad you enjoy my posts. Luckily, I get to keep posting them, notwithstanding Robert T. Gilleran’s bizarre and hilarious whiny numbered threatening rants against me. Since Robert T. Gilleran is a disbarred attorney who suffered an “irreparable injury,” I don’t have to worry about him bankrupting me in the civil courts for posting my opinions on a sports blog. I guess when he got hit on the head, it made him forget about the First Amendment and simultaneously made him start seeing crooked conference-affiliated referees in his sleep. I wonder if he still knows what a “vexatious litigant” is. I’m sure that if he tried to sue me, I could remind him, and the judge. I’m not sure when he went to the dentist and got those special fillings you noticed put in his teeth. I only checked his record on the State Bar of California’s website; I haven’t looked into his dental records.

8. grandpashyena - Nov 27, 2009 at 7:05 AM

Young occasionally played a deep safety kind of center fielder on defense. He was very good and could close on the ball well.
    I think little Bobbi is a trip. Bad one but interesting in an anthroplogical way. Counter posting him is like sticking a long stick in an ant bed. Lots of fury and flurry but no real danger. He reminds of the clasic prison attorney type that sues everyone and threatens every one with paper because that the only thing they can do. He must be very frustrated being an legal titan and being dumped from the club he worked so hard to enter. Very sad outcome for an education. Like a doctor whe runs a pill mill and is finally popped and his credentials jerked. Waste. In our little guy at least he provides a mediocum of entertainment.
    Most of the other ND fans have been great in these blogs. Everythjing you would expect. Too bad the season has been a bust. ND will come back. It needs to. Competition is the lubricant of college football. Without real competition the game is meaningless activity. Though I’m a UT fan, I enjoyed last nights game with A&M more since it was close. Blowouts are track meets. Tight games are entertaining.
    Go Irish!!

9. StephenOfTroy - Nov 27, 2009 at 4:04 PM

grandpa: I could see Vince Young as a Taylor Mays type of safety. Mays is the fastest guy on the USC team (or WAS, before he injured his knee in the Ohio State game — I think we’d have beaten UW if he hadn’t been out of that game, but if if’s and but’s were candy and nuts….). I would like to have seen Young play safety. Thanks for the info.
    I agree, ND will come back. I’m crossing my fingers that as they ascend, UT descends. Just kidding. I like Mack Brown, and now I know at least one UT fan who I’d enjoy watching a game with, although I really enjoy blowouts so I can concentrate on talking smack while squinting into my beer bottle. You’re all right, grandpa. Hook ‘Em Horns!

10. Hornsfan12 - Nov 28, 2009 at 11:35 PM

There is no way that golden shouldn’t win it. He makes every defender look like a fool. Shipley is my bro, but no one is comparible to golden

11. austin - Nov 30, 2009 at 3:10 PM

watch the stanford highlights… Tate totally dominates, after that game this award should be given to him no question

12. affiliate network fees - Dec 23, 2009 at 11:22 AM

I am final, I am sorry, but it is necessary for me little bit more information.