Nov 24, 2009, 7:30 AM EDT
Looks like the awards committee got one thing right: Golden Tate is a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award.
Tate joins Texas’ Jordan Shipley and Bowling Green’s Freddie Barnes for the prestigious award given to the best wide receiver in college football. The winner will be announced on December 10th during the ESPNU College Football Awards.
Tate is fourth in the country in receiving yards per game and ninth in receptions. Barnes leads the country in receptions, touchdowns, and yards per game, while Shipley tails Tate in yards and touchdowns, but has eight more catches than Golden.
It’ll be interesting to see if the voters pick Barnes, who plays in an incredible offensive system over two higher-profile players. It’ll be more interesting if Tate can win the award over Shipley, a 6th-year-senior playing for undefeated Texas.
- Kelly rolls the dice again with position switches 0
- Golson returns to the practice field 20
- Spring Solutions: Wide receivers and tight ends 23
- Cody Riggs officially joins the Irish 39
- Academic casualties proof that foundation at Notre Dame remains 120
- Irish succeed with 2014 class, even against the odds 121