Nov 24, 2009, 7:30 AM EST
Looks like the awards committee got one thing right: Golden Tate is a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award.
Tate joins Texas’ Jordan Shipley and Bowling Green’s Freddie Barnes for the prestigious award given to the best wide receiver in college football. The winner will be announced on December 10th during the ESPNU College Football Awards.
Tate is fourth in the country in receiving yards per game and ninth in receptions. Barnes leads the country in receptions, touchdowns, and yards per game, while Shipley tails Tate in yards and touchdowns, but has eight more catches than Golden.
It’ll be interesting to see if the voters pick Barnes, who plays in an incredible offensive system over two higher-profile players. It’ll be more interesting if Tate can win the award over Shipley, a 6th-year-senior playing for undefeated Texas.
- Pregame Six Pack: The present and future of a key rivalry 0
- And in that corner… The USC Trojans 42
- Secondary depth chart reaches red-line status 14
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Louisville 96
- Five things we learned: Louisville 31, Notre Dame 28 246
- Pregame Six Pack: Battling Louisville in Senior sendoff 40