Nov 24, 2009, 7:30 AM EDT
Looks like the awards committee got one thing right: Golden Tate is a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award.
Tate joins Texas’ Jordan Shipley and Bowling Green’s Freddie Barnes for the prestigious award given to the best wide receiver in college football. The winner will be announced on December 10th during the ESPNU College Football Awards.
Tate is fourth in the country in receiving yards per game and ninth in receptions. Barnes leads the country in receptions, touchdowns, and yards per game, while Shipley tails Tate in yards and touchdowns, but has eight more catches than Golden.
It’ll be interesting to see if the voters pick Barnes, who plays in an incredible offensive system over two higher-profile players. It’ll be more interesting if Tate can win the award over Shipley, a 6th-year-senior playing for undefeated Texas.
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Florida State 109
- Five things we learned: Florida State 31, Notre Dame 27 159
- Pregame Six Pack: Showdown with the Seminoles 90
- And in that corner… The Florida State Seminoles 31
- DaVaris Daniels done at Notre Dame 71
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. North Carolina 71