Nov 24, 2009, 7:30 AM EDT
Looks like the awards committee got one thing right: Golden Tate is a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award.
Tate joins Texas’ Jordan Shipley and Bowling Green’s Freddie Barnes for the prestigious award given to the best wide receiver in college football. The winner will be announced on December 10th during the ESPNU College Football Awards.
Tate is fourth in the country in receiving yards per game and ninth in receptions. Barnes leads the country in receptions, touchdowns, and yards per game, while Shipley tails Tate in yards and touchdowns, but has eight more catches than Golden.
It’ll be interesting to see if the voters pick Barnes, who plays in an incredible offensive system over two higher-profile players. It’ll be more interesting if Tate can win the award over Shipley, a 6th-year-senior playing for undefeated Texas.
- The good, the bad and the ugly: The 86th annual Blue-Gold game 60
- Five things we learned: Gold 36, Blue 34 76
- Pregame Six Pack: Finishing spring practice strong 3
- Even without guarantee, Kelly expects Golson to return next season 107
- Grace opens up about the long road back 44
- Irish QB battle with (understandably) head into fall camp 12