Schad speculates on coaching candidates

Nov 25, 2009, 4:00 PM EST

Joe Schad went on ESPN to speculate on potential coaches if Charlie Weis is replaced, and he might as well have gotten his information from the water cooler or from combing the message boards at NDNation.

Schad has quickly become a guy that has gotten plenty of scoops and was out in front of the Jimmy Clausen debacle pretty quickly, but I find this report pretty comical, and fairly representative of the work that ESPN has done when covering the CW hot seat.

Judge for yourself, but from my perspective, there isn’t one thing that Schad told us that is even close to new information and even close to having a kernel of fact behind it. ND possibly looking at Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, and Jon Gruden? Hardly revelatory. Throwing in names like Jim Harbaugh and Pat Fitzgerald? Yawn. The front runner is Brian Kelly? You think?

This has been one of the more frustrating things I’ve witnessed as someone that’s followed Notre Dame closely for the last 10 years, and it’s pretty clear that Jack Swarbrick has kept a really tight lid on things… which is exactly what he’s supposed to do.

Schad’s just doing his job, which is probably to fill air time on the calamity in South Bend, but this is a far cry from journalism, and very clearly people just throwing stuff at the wall and hoping it sticks. Until I hear it Lou Holtz speculating on the new coach, I’m going to assume that nobody knows anything.

1. NDFAN401 - Nov 25, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Attention : This is the ESPN reporting recipe : 1/3 cup of fact, 1/3 cup of speculation, 1/3 cup of S.W.A.G. mix vigorously and throw against wall and see what sticks. If previous story does not fly repeat procedure. ESPN always falls into the category of knowing nothing but never being afraid to take a crummy guess or spin what they do not know into some kind of craziness. I wish the whole thing was over also but I have not developed a system to make time pass more rapidly.

2. GimmeSomeSteel - Nov 25, 2009 at 9:21 PM

“I have not developed a system to make time pass more rapidly.”
    I have. It’s called “pay no attention to ESPN”.

3. Sam - Nov 26, 2009 at 1:40 AM

Urban isn’t going anywhere. He has made his home in Florida and created a powerhouse. It would be too much trouble for him to come to Notre Dame and try to do the same. Brian Kelly should be the man for the job. If he can’t get the program turned around then you can pretty much say goodbye to Notre Dame being what it once was. This is the last chance for Notre Dame to turn around.

4. mrrandolph - Nov 26, 2009 at 7:14 AM

I agree with you Keith 100%. ESPN is a sham and alot of their reporting is tabloid journalism. They promote whatever conference they are covering. I remember that they launched a campaign to keep Peyton Manning from winning the Heisman because he couldn’t beat Florida. Well, alot of people couldn’t beat Florida.
    And, he turned out to be an allright QB. But, Lou’s bodylangage does tell me something is going to happen though.
    Plus Urban lists three jobs as his dreamjobs: ND, Michigan, Ohio State but, that wouldn’t stop me from asking.

5. tj - Nov 29, 2009 at 12:05 AM