Peter King weighs in on Weis' NFL options

Nov 30, 2009, 2:00 PM EDT

For the record, I don’t feel 100 percent comfortable talking about Charlie Weis in the past tense as Notre Dame’s head coach yet, but I thought this was too interesting not to write about.

Peter King, Sports Illustrated’s best football writer and one of the chief information men on NBC’s Football Night in America coverage had the five most logical destinations for Weis in the NFL.

The Charlie Weis Tote Board.

Spin the spinner:
Where will Weis land once he’s fired by Notre Dame? Well, eliminate
Cleveland in the increasingly unlikely event that Eric Mangini keeps his job. Weis and Mangini coached together in New England but are not pals. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Al Davis
go hard after Weis, by the way, seeing that the Raiders won’t exactly
be picking from the Shanahan-Cowher tree of top candidates. But as for
offensive coordinator possibilities for Weis, I’d list five teams:

1. New England, obviously. Bill Belichick hasn’t given the offensive coordinator’s title to Bill O’Brien this year, even though O’Brien has done a good play-calling job lately. Weis was vital to Tom Brady
in his formative years, but Brady’s all grown up now, so it’s
reasonable to wonder if Belichick would view Brady as needing Weis
after five seasons without him.

2. Carolina. Weis and John Fox are close friends and current Panthers offensive coordinator Jeff Davidson
worked under Weis in New England. Carolina’s offense needs better
quarterback play (actually, the offense needs any quarterback play) and
needs to make better use of Steve Smith – two areas that are strong suits for Weis. Now, if Fox gets fired, scratch Carolina.

3. Kansas City. The Chiefs don’t have a coordinator in the wake of the midseason departure of Chan Gailey. GM Scott Pioli and Weis worked together with the Jets and Pats. Not sure if Todd Haley and Weis, both strong personalities, would be oil and water.

4. Indianapolis. Surprised? I don’t see it happening, but it’s intriguing. Brian Polian, son of Bill,
is Notre Dame’s special-teams coach, an ace recruiter and is tight with
Weis. Colts brass loves Notre Dame and has high regard for Weis, and
you can be sure Bill Polian and Manning would love to keep him from
returning to New England. But here are two reasons it probably wouldn’t
happen. Tom Moore, the offensive coordinator for the Colts
throughout Manning’s 12-year career, seems likely to return in 2010.
And when he’s gone, it’s likely the Colts would promote from within
with assistant head coach/receivers coach Clyde Christensen.

5. Chicago. If Lovie Smith returns in Chicago, he may have to sacrifice offensive coordinator Ron Turner to shake up a bad team. Weis would be a candidate.

1. Randy Packer - Nov 30, 2009 at 2:58 PM

What about reuniting Charlie and the other Brady, Brady Quinn, in Cleveland?

2. StephenOfTroy - Nov 30, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Randy, Peter King dismissed the Cleveland option right away, at the beginning of the portion Keith Arnold quoted.
    Weis IS a bad coach. A bad head coach, that is. I find it odd that he cut his teeth coaching running backs (among other positions), given how little respect he gave the running game during his tenure at ND. I like Armando Allen and wish he’d been given more carries.
    Weis may be a good offensive coordinator. No basis upon which to judge. Winning with the Pats wasn’t dependent on the OC. It was a combination of defense, special teams, and having Tom Brady not screw up while handing off the ball 30 times a game. Brady didn’t start throwing downfield until they brought in Moss. And, frankly, it’s kind of hard to screw up if you get video of the other team’s defensive signals. I think I could win 100% my cases if I got to read the other side’s internal legal research memoranda in advance of hearings or trials.
    I think the Carolina, KC, and Chicago options are the most likely, in that order. I doubt that Carolina will keep Delhomme around much longer. They’ll either trade for a QB or draft one, or both. He doesn’t seem to have any confidence. Maybe Weis could turn him around, but I think they want to go in a different direction. I hope Al Davis doesn’t offer Weis the headset. I don’t want to have to watch Weis keep the ball out of Justin Fargas’s hands every week.

3. Terry from Maine - Dec 4, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Teams have been stealing other teams’ signals since day one, or maybe day two – the day they were invented. Have you ever seen the contortions 1st base and 3rd base baseball coaches go through?
    The Pats got caught in the 1st half of the 1st game of the 2007 season. They were told to stop – they did. Would it not follow that the NFL would keep an extra sharp eye on them for the rest of the season? Yes. Were there any other complaints after that? No.
    Then stories suddenly pop up that the Pats have been getting away with it for 7 YEARS. In other words everybody knew it as far back as 2000 but it took the rest of the league 7 YEARS to catch them, and even then it had to be done by an ex-assistant coach for the team – and we all know how successful he has been since he left New England. That doesn’t say a whole lot about the collective I.Q of the rest of the league I would say.
    Suggestion – if you KNOW that the other team has stolen your signals (and don’t think other teams don’t do it!) – CHANGE YOUR SIGNALS.
    what a concept
    I wish coach Weis the best and I hope he doesn’t wind up in Oakland, but I’m pretty sure he’s got a lot more sense than that.

4. Marriage Records - Dec 5, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Ive actually found work retracing people family trees using these online records services, althought there is still usually about 10% missing info, ive done pretty well at tracing people back to the early 1800′s! Its actually quite fun and interesting work, and i got paid pretty well!

5. wow quest tips - Dec 19, 2009 at 4:23 PM

I enjoying reading your post.

6. billiga webbhotell - Jan 22, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Great stuff…… I personally want to thank you for writing this article. I am just very impressed with your work. I gained a lot of information on this matter. I really happy to have gone through your article. Please keep up the good work.

7. Lance Hume - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Hi, superb post, I really enjoyed reading this. This blog gave me the push to try my own article, please check my post by clicking my name at the top of this article, thanks