Nov 30, 2009, 12:00 PM EST
Among other things that are happening on campus today, the players will vote on whether or not they want to play in a bowl game.
The South Bend Tribune’s Eric Hansen has the best breakdown of bowl options for the 6-6 Irish team:
The Irish appear to have just four options. All four are bowls that
won’t be able to completely fill their slots with teams from
conferences they’re aligned with.
The Little Caesars Pizza Bowl,
Dec. 26 in Detroit, against a team from the Mid-American Conference.
(The Irish take the place of a Big Ten team.)
Bowl, Dec. 29 in Washington, D.C., against Army (5-6) if it can upend
Navy Saturday or a head-coachless Marshall team (6-6). (The Irish take
the place of an ACC team.)
The GMAC Bowl, Jan. 6 in Mobile, Ala., against a MAC team. (The Irish take the place of an ACC team.)
The Humanitarian Bowl, Dec. 30 in Boise, Idaho against a Western Athletic Conference team. (The Irish take the place of a Mountain West team.)
Stewart Mandel points out through his Twitter page that the Irish might not even have a bowl spot available if Hawaii upsets Wisconsin this Saturday in Honolulu, but there are plenty of logistical issues that come into play with this Irish squad going to a bowl game, a very large one being “who runs the team?”
If Weis is replaced and the Irish still decide to play in a bowl, it’ll could put the staff in a very bad situation, one where Corwin Brown is most likely named the interim head coach, and Ron Powlus or Rob Ianello could be asked to call plays.
(As Hansen suggests, I’d enjoy the Irish just letting Clausen call the plays. Talk about a spike in ratings for the Armed Forces Bowl…)
- It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH) 96
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Stanford 79
- Five things we learned: Stanford 27, Notre Dame 20 140
- Pregame Six Pack: Send off at Stanford 43
- And in that corner… The Stanford Cardinal 54
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. BYU 45
- It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH) (96)
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Stanford (79)
- Friday notes: Additions, Bowls, Coaches and Departures (70)
- Notre Dame accepts bid to play in Pinstripe Bowl (68)
- Rumors swirl as Chuck Martin looks headed for Miami (OH) head job (29)