Dec 4, 2009, 7:30 AM EDT
Yesterday was a little bit slow for the rumor mill. That’s not to say it wasn’t eventful.
* Brian Kelly held his weekly radio show, and reportedly for the first time this season, he didn’t take any questions. That’s got to mean that he’s clearly dodging and weaving and not willing to talk about Notre Dame… or concentrating on the biggest regular season game Cincy’s played since Kelly came to town.
* Mike Frank at IrishSportsDaily.com confirms that ND representatives have contacting people representing Brian Kelly. Frank wasn’t willing to speculate as to whether that meant the Irish were moving on from their alleged deal with Bob Stoops or whether we’re to believe one of Stoops’ 15 almost-denials, but this is pretty concrete news that the Irish are finally kicking the tires on a presumed favorite for the job.
* Meanwhile, Brian Hamilton of the Chicago Tribune somehow got in touch with Action Jack and asked him about the rumors that are flying.
“I am simply amazed,” Swarbrick said. “This is not some small kernel of
truth that gets twisted into an inaccurate story — this is complete
fiction that gains credibility by being repeated and repurposed.”
If you’re amazed by the crazed passion and imaginative minds of Notre Dame football fans willing to use Jedi mind tricks to get their coaching short lists to the athletic director, you haven’t been paying too good of attention, Jack.
* Uh-oh. The story of Kirk Ferentz dismissing talk about the Notre Dame job makes it seem like Kirk’s been getting his tires kicked by Notre Dame searchers. According to Andy Hamilton of the Iowa City Press-Citizen, Kirk danced around the questions regarding the Golden Dome:
Ferentz didn’t seem overly enthusiastic about discussing — his name connected to Notre Dame’s search for a new coach.Ferentz wouldn’t say whether he or any of his representatives have been contacted by ND officials.
first thing I’d say is that’s Notre Dame’s business and nobody else’s,
as far as I’m concerned,” Ferentz said. “What they choose to do is
their business. If they had or hadn’t, I think that would be
inappropriate for me to comment on that.
As I stated yesterday, Ferentz isn’t my pick to succeed Weis. (I’d argue he’s a downgrade…)
* Scout.com’s Stoops Oracle, Matt Alkire, a regional recruiting analyst that has been the first to report any of the big Stoops rumors spoke to his legions of followers yesterday afternoon with a mid-day update. He’s getting conflicting information on the recruitment of Bob Stoops. One source says Stoops is gone, the other still in negotiations. Alkire’s source said that Stoops’ biggest issue is that he’s not sure the school will make the concessions needed to make the team a top tier program again.
Not sure what that means exactly, but 50 percent of me will think there’s still a shot with Stoops, while the other 50 percent of me refuses to listen to the radio interviews Stoops does where he makes jokes about calling in from South Bend.
* Former Notre Dame defensive end Justin Tuck weighed in on the Notre Dame coaching job and thought Herm Edwards would be a good fit for the Irish.
Pump the brakes, Justin. Pump them very hard.
While the press conferences would be awesome, I can’t see that one working out too well for the Irish. (I’m still upset with Tuck for leaving early and not giving us that final season, where he’d have potential been the big difference maker on that 2005 squad.)
* ESPN is running with a report off FootballCoachScoop.com that Swarbrick has centered their search on Skip Holtz and Randy Edsall. I would be SHOCKED if this were true. (Not ESPN taking something off a smaller site and running with it, the fact that Action Jack would focus on Skip and Randy. Those should be fall back plans… at best.)
And now to our FAVORITE THEORY OF THE DAY:
Courtesy of Irishman5103:
I looked up Bob Stoops’ address (he looked it up, but I’m not including it) in the Cleveland County (Norman, OK) property appraiser records online. I then used google map to find the address so that I could use the
satellite street view feature to look at the front of the home. Then I
compared that picture of his home to this current real estate for sale
listing. (He listed the real estate listing.) Bob Stoops definitely has his home up for sale. This could be a good sign.
Irishman5103… Dedicated fan.
- Pregame Six Pack: Finishing spring practice strong 3
- Even without guarantee, Kelly expects Golson to return next season 107
- Grace opens up about the long road back 44
- Irish QB battle with (understandably) head into fall camp 12
- In a time of change, Denbrock a constant 35
- How does Will Fuller follow up his monster 2014 season? 33