As the rumor mill churns… Day 3

Dec 4, 2009, 7:30 AM EDT

Yesterday was a little bit slow for the rumor mill. That’s not to say it wasn’t eventful.

* Brian Kelly held his weekly radio show, and reportedly for the first time this season, he didn’t take any questions. That’s got to mean that he’s clearly dodging and weaving and not willing to talk about Notre Dame… or concentrating on the biggest regular season game Cincy’s played since Kelly came to town.

* Mike Frank at IrishSportsDaily.com confirms that ND representatives have contacting people representing Brian Kelly. Frank wasn’t willing to speculate as to whether that meant the Irish were moving on from their alleged deal with Bob Stoops or whether we’re to believe one of Stoops’ 15 almost-denials, but this is pretty concrete news that the Irish are finally kicking the tires on a presumed favorite for the job.

* Meanwhile, Brian Hamilton of the Chicago Tribune somehow got in touch with Action Jack and asked him about the rumors that are flying.

“I am simply amazed,” Swarbrick said. “This is not some small kernel of
truth that gets twisted into an inaccurate story — this is complete
fiction that gains credibility by being repeated and repurposed.”

If you’re amazed by the crazed passion and imaginative minds of Notre Dame football fans willing to use Jedi mind tricks to get their coaching short lists to the athletic director, you haven’t been paying too good of attention, Jack.

* Uh-oh. The story of Kirk Ferentz dismissing talk about the Notre Dame job makes it seem like Kirk’s been getting his tires kicked by Notre Dame searchers. According to Andy Hamilton of the Iowa City Press-Citizen, Kirk danced around the questions regarding the Golden Dome:

Ferentz didn’t seem overly enthusiastic about discussing — his name connected to Notre Dame’s search for a new coach.Ferentz wouldn’t say whether he or any of his representatives have been contacted by ND officials.

“The
first thing I’d say is that’s Notre Dame’s business and nobody else’s,
as far as I’m concerned,” Ferentz said. “What they choose to do is
their business. If they had or hadn’t, I think that would be
inappropriate for me to comment on that.

As I stated yesterday, Ferentz isn’t my pick to succeed Weis. (I’d argue he’s a downgrade…)

* Scout.com’s Stoops Oracle, Matt Alkire, a regional recruiting analyst that has been the first to report any of the big Stoops rumors spoke to his legions of followers yesterday afternoon with a mid-day update. He’s getting conflicting information on the recruitment of Bob Stoops. One source says Stoops is gone, the other still in negotiations. Alkire’s source said that Stoops’ biggest issue is that he’s not sure the school will make the concessions needed to make the team a top tier program again.

Not sure what that means exactly, but 50 percent of me will think there’s still a shot with Stoops, while the other 50 percent of me refuses to listen to the radio interviews Stoops does where he makes jokes about calling in from South Bend.

* Former Notre Dame defensive end Justin Tuck weighed in on the Notre Dame coaching job and thought Herm Edwards would be a good fit for the Irish.

Pump the brakes, Justin. Pump them very hard.

While the press conferences would be awesome, I can’t see that one working out too well for the Irish. (I’m still upset with Tuck for leaving early and not giving us that final season, where he’d have potential been the big difference maker on that 2005 squad.)

* ESPN is running with a report off FootballCoachScoop.com that Swarbrick has centered their search on Skip Holtz and Randy Edsall. I would be SHOCKED if this were true. (Not ESPN taking something off a smaller site and running with it, the fact that Action Jack would focus on Skip and Randy. Those should be fall back plans… at best.)

And now to our FAVORITE THEORY OF THE DAY:

Courtesy of Irishman5103:

I looked up Bob Stoops’ address (he looked it up, but I’m not including it) in the Cleveland County (Norman, OK) property appraiser records online. I then used google map to find the address so that I could use the
satellite street view feature to look at the front of the home. Then I
compared that picture of his home to this current real estate for sale
listing. (He listed the real estate listing.) Bob Stoops definitely has his home up for sale. This could be a good sign.

Irishman5103… Dedicated fan.

1. joe from Dublin - Dec 5, 2009 at 10:12 PM

If you read Charlie Weis’s comments, he knew he was out after the Navy loss. He was officially told after the UConn loss that he was out, but he did not want to tell the team before the Stanford game. I find it strange that Swarbrick had no contact with anyone until last Tues. In addition, Swarbrick has somewhat known this day was coming since the end of last season, so he must have (hopefully) been doing his homework for some time now on who would be the replacement. With those circumstances in place one would have to think that all the candidates being mentioned, who would have no problem signing now (Tuberville, Edsell, Fitzpatrick, Gruden, etc…), would have signed this week. This leads me to the conclusion that Swarbrick has an agreement in place with someone who had something on the line this weekend with the National Championship. This leads me to Brian Kelly or possibly Meyer. These guys can deny all they want, which is what they have to do since they are in the hunt for a title. It is probably Kelly but do not count out Meyer now that Bama won. One interesting comment the other day from Holtz on ESPN was that he was talking to Meyer recently about how underpaid he was as Holtz’s assistant at ND. It seems like an interesting discussion with the position open. It will be a lot easier to get to the National Title every year at ND than it would be going through the SEC. Plus he has ND in a desperate position to do this on his terms, which was not the case 5 years ago.

2. irishfanintx - Dec 6, 2009 at 12:14 AM

Interesting thought process on Meyer. Based on your theory, I would have to say based on the questions asked of Brian Kelly the last couple of days and the way that he has chosen to answer them that it would probably be him. Of course I have to say that if that is the case I would be somewhat dissappointed. Not in his coaching abilites but if what I have been reading is true he promised his players he wasn’t going anywhere. Don’t know if that is true or not but thats what some are reporting.

3. Art Vandelay - Dec 6, 2009 at 4:09 AM

Joe: Couldn’t agree more. I have long been arguing these same points. ND has to hire a coach who can turn this team around. The prime jewel of your school is tarnished and must be returned to its former brilliance and you need to pull out all the stops (checkbook, recruiting concessions, etc.) and bring in the right guy. That is Meyer. Weis’ job was on the line this whole season and the 2d loss to Navy in 3 yrs (not to mention barely holding off their rally in 2008 to squeak out a 27-21 W) was the straw that broke the camel’s back. I think Meyer was contacted maybe midway through the season, long before people were concerned with where the ND private jet was going. Now, we await an announcement, but one won’t be coming until after the BCS bowls as Fla is projected in the Sugar Bowl to play Cincinnati. I just wonder what the recruits know and will Martin return to the fold? I had heard that the reason Meyer didn’t end up at ND 5 yrs ago was that he asked the Admin for 5 concessions on recruits and they said “No way.” You can be sure that they’re probably now ready to give him 10…and pay him much more. It all seems to fit.

4. mrrandolph - Dec 6, 2009 at 8:39 AM

Thanks for the count. Is this an acceptable tally against same opponents? Is this conclusive evidence that Ferentz(with lower ranked recruits) could be competitive at ND?

5. IndianaJoeB - Dec 6, 2009 at 9:23 AM

StephenOfTroy,
    I couldn’t agree with you more about Bowden. He earned better treatment than he was given. I’m not a big fan of his program, but he was a winner and a great coach (an probably a great person too) and should still be the FSU head coach.
    Lou Holtz!!! I hope so. ND really screwed up when they let him go. Bring him back for three years, with Skip as his understudy and then have skip take over.
    I didn’t watch the game, but what happened to USC?
    Go Irish.

6. ccb - Dec 6, 2009 at 3:16 PM

hiring Randy Edsall or Ferentz would send a message to all of cfb
    that ND is content now w/ mediocrity – the program would be irrevocably on a trajectory to be the next
    vanderbilt.
    t
    Curiously, the website footballcoachscoop it saying ND is in contract negotiations w/ Edsall. if so, JS will go down as the
    AD who took ND under.

7. irishfanintx - Dec 6, 2009 at 9:41 PM

Sure, If you think .533 compared to .500 is really all that much better. Oh and lets not forget, Ferentz is in 11th or 12th year as a head coach at Iowa.

8. tj - Dec 7, 2009 at 1:07 AM

Remember, folks…..coaches who were ‘big name’ coaches at ND (Rockne, Leahy, Parseghian, Holtz), BECAME name coaches AFTER they became the Irish coach. Only one coach (Leahy, I believe) had a modicum of national success before coming to ND. Even the magical Lou didn’t get to be the Lou we know now until he came to ND. He had good success at Maryland and Arkansas, but only became magical once he got to South Bend. They became Names because of their success here. They all, however, had histories of BUILDING winning programs at the campuses they were at before coming to ND.
    Getting Stoops or Meyer will NOT be the answer ND is looking for. They have had their cake. ND needs someone who wants to bake the cake after learning the right ingredients to make a good one…. (Kelly, Tuberville, Patterson, etc.) It’s up to JS to find the right fit

9. mrrandolph - Dec 7, 2009 at 7:56 AM

Wow, that sounds like Ara Parseghian’s record: Northwestern 36-35-1.

10. StephenOfTroy - Dec 7, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Art, Art, Art: Everything looks like a nail if you’re holding a hammer, my friend. Urban is not coming to South Bend!
    Kelly and Harbaugh are being interviewed. Do you suppose, in your all-things-point-to-Urban worldview, that they are willing participants in misdirection from Swawbrick? Do you think ND will somehow spin it as “we couldn’t get Brian Kelly but we got a guy who’s almost as good: Urban Meyer?” “Jim Harbaugh turned us down but that’s okay, we’ll settle for Urban?”
    Come on, man. Your command is a 15 minute motorboat ride away from being terminated. I’m looking forward to asking you for your sidearm if you don’t get off the wowie sauce and stop praying for St. Touchdown Charlie to leave Urban Meyer under South Bend’s Christmas tree.
    Oh, and IndianaJoeB, my team just plain came out FLAT against Arizona. We played like we had nothing to play for, and it showed. There was a bad call on our last offensive drive, where an obvious pass interference penalty was not called, but it’s not as though the game was lost on that play. It was lost when we failed to play with enthusiasm or get Arizona off the field on 3rd down multiple times in the first half. Oh well. Bring on Boston College and then it’s on to next year…

11. billiga webbhotell - Jan 22, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Wow this is a really good article. I m glad to have read it. I m looking forward for more of your articles…………. I really enjoyed reading it. It’s good to know that there is much more knowledge to gain on this topic. Just keep posting your good work and keep enlightening your readers. Thank you..

12. Gerry Podolak - Feb 3, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Hello there, excellent blog, I truly enjoyed reading it. This blog gave me the momentum to attempt my own blog, please see my blog by clicking my name at the top of this comment, thank you

13. Liz Yenney - Feb 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! I’m sure you had fun writing this article.

14. Tuan Salguero - Feb 21, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Great post. My friend Ernie told me about this blog some weeks ago but this is the first time I am visting. I will definitely be back.