Dec 4, 2009, 1:00 AM EDT
In a decision that was hinted at when Jack Swarbrick didn’t name Rob Ianello interim coach, John Walters at FanHouse reports the Irish will most likely pass on a bowl game. The options for Notre Dame were slim and (if Hawaii beats Wisconsin) bordering on none.
The leadership committee will have a vote tomorrow and the decision will be made official Monday, but expect the loss at Stanford to be the last game for the 2009 Notre Dame Fighting Irish.
“It’s kind of tough for me to think about Stanford might be the last football game I ever play in my life,” senior captain Eric Olsen said. “I’d definitely love to end my football career with a win if at all possible.”
Possible yes, realistic no, as the players already voted no to playing in the GMAC Bowl inexplicably played on January 6th, and were likely down to Detroit on December 26th in the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl.
- The good, bad and ugly: Notre Dame vs. Rice 32
- Five things we learned: Notre Dame 48, Rice 17 105
- Pregame Six Pack: At long last, the season begins 26
- And in that corner… The Rice Owls 8
- Kelly names Collinsworth, Day, Martin and McDaniel captains 40
- Setting the bar: Expectations for the 2014 Irish 93