As the rumor mill churns… Meet me in New York edition

Dec 7, 2009, 4:32 PM EST

For those of you that missed the weekend editions of the rumor mill, I apologize greatly. If I can make it up to you, it’s with a gigantic dose of coaching chatter, this time from sources that hopefully won’t retract anything in the next day or two.

Let’s get started…

* Randy Edsall sounds like he’s a legit candidate. He’s even following the “not talking about it” script that has quickly become this year’s “I’d like to withdraw my name from consideration,” for coaches’ comments regarding the Notre Dame job.

(I’m not sure what excuse I like more, if you’re wondering. There was a lot of fun to be had with coaches like Mark Mangino pulling their name from consideration at Notre Dame, even if there was no job to be had and Mangino is walking the same streets as Weis right now.)

According to the Hartford Courant, here’s what Edsall had to say when asked about the Irish opening:

“I’m not going to talk about anything. I’m here at UConn. I’m coaching
at UConn and as I said this is just a press conference about the bowl
game and that’s what we’re talking about. I don’t think I have to say
anything other than that… and what I said earlier. I’m not making any
comment on rumors or innuendos or speculation or anything like that.
I’m going to address those thing so it makes no sense to ask it.”

Right now, I’ve read a variety of people mention Edsall’s handling of the Jasper Howard tragedy as the thing that’s most impressive about him. I couldn’t agree more with them, and that’s exactly the reason why I’m not enthused about his candidacy.

* The New York Post weighs in on the coaching search, linking Edsall’s name with Brian Kelly, the presumptive front-runner for the job. The Post’s Lenn Robbins mentions that candidates could be interviewed as soon as today, while also throwing out the same list we’re all working off of, mentioning Urban Meyer, Skip Holtz, Bob Stoops, Jim Harbaugh, Butch Davis, Pat Fitzgerald, and a wild-card, Houston’s Kevin Sumlin.

I’ve got to believe some of these guys will get looked at, but guys like Sumlin must have agents that are just peppering reporters, hoping that they get their client’s name mentioned, in hopes that it gets him a new contract extension.

* Tim Prister over at Irish Illustrated, posted this declarative statement regarding the coaching search:

Regarding all this speculation about the next head coach
at Notre Dame, let the record show that at 12:20 a.m. ET on Dec. 6.
2009, senior editor Tim Prister stands by IrishIllustrated’s
information and sources that say Brian Kelly will be the next head
football coach at the University of Notre Dame.

Doesn’t sound like anyone can claim miscommunication with this statement. Prister seems like he’s going “all in” on the Kelly claims, which seems to be a pretty smart play considering the odds at this point.

* Speaking of Kelly, he’s finally talking about the job. This morning, Dan Patrick had Kelly on the air to discuss the Cincinnati BCS game against Florida, as well as to pester him about the Notre Dame job, including asking Kelly if he could guarantee he’d be coaching in the Sugar Bowl.

“No, there’s no guarantees in anything that you do,” Kelly said. “I’ve never given a guarantee whether I was going to make it home at the end of the day.”

On cue, Kelly recently tweeted the following message:

“Just informed our team that Notre Dame has contacted me and I will listen to what they have to say.”

Uh-oh, Bearcats fans.

* And finally, to the New York portion of this edition. A little organization called the New York Times reported that both Kelly and Jim Harbaugh would be interviewing for the Notre Dame job in the Big Apple this week.

The fact that the Times mentioned Kelly isn’t surprising, but the fact that they linked Harbaugh to the job is a pretty big bombshell, and more proof that Action Jack is everywhere.

Harbaugh was unwilling to refute the rumors:

“Not now or not in the future will I talk about any other jobs or opportunities,” he said. “I’m out recruiting right now.”

Expect all of this to go down surrounding ESPN’s College Football Awards Show, where Kelly, Harbaugh, and just about every other big-name coach and player will be this week.

(And Action Jack will surely be lurking in the shadows…)

FAVORITE THEORY OF THE WEEKEND:

This one has to be a tie between the Martin’s jet rumor and the Urban Meyer hospitalization rumor.

While Notre Dame has made sure that the university jet wouldn’t be allowed to be tracked at FlightAware, a reader at IrishSportsDaily mentioned that the corporate jet for Martin’s grocery store was making a flight into Oklahoma City. Did that mean that Bob Stoops was back on the grid for the Irish? (Probably not, but still — pretty solid work to be tracking Martin’s plane during this time of crisis.)

I lost the exact location of the second rumor, so I can’t recognize the true source, but the second has to do with Urban Meyer’s mysterious hospitalization for dehydration after the SEC Championship game.

(I thought Lindsey Lohan was the only one who got hospitalized for dehydration…)

Anyway, the specifics escape me, but the players include, Meyer, Action Jack Swarbrick, a mystery meeting in a Gainesville hospital, and doctor/patient confidentiality. I score this 100 out of 100 for pure imagination, but have to think that there is more of a chance that this guy reconsiders before Meyer comes to South Bend.

1. Jonathan - Dec 7, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Martin’s has a corporate jet? This is a grocery store chain headquartered in South Bend that has about 10 locations. That’s unbelievable.

2. all4tookie - Dec 7, 2009 at 6:20 PM

There is another, larger grocery store chain called Martin’s that has locations in 7 states – perhaps the plane tracker didn’t realize this?

3. dabears - Dec 7, 2009 at 6:54 PM

Like many of us, I have interviewed and hired candidates to fill positions in my career. I have learned that one of the singularly most important factors in making a good hire is identifying candidates that have true passion and operate with high energy. I think that this must be even more true when looking for a head coach to lead 70 young men in the pursuit of a football championship. To me this is the biggest reason that Charlie Weis failed as a head coach, and it is also the reason that I believe that Jim Harbaugh should be Notre Dame’s next head coach. He clearly embodies passion and energy, and his team has followed his lead and achieved things that they could not have without him. This is exactly what ND needs.

4. DTS419 - Dec 7, 2009 at 8:55 PM

I agree wholeheartedly. College football is a game of emotions, and while Charlie was no doubt a great offensive mind, he struggled when his teams needed more than an objective scheme.

5. StephenOfTroy - Dec 7, 2009 at 11:43 PM

Harbaugh is a fiery, intelligent, tough guy. I liked him when he QB’ed my Bears. I don’t like that he went for 2 against my Trojans. But we’ll get a shot at him next year. He’s not going to South Bend (even if we did, we’d get a shot at him but it wouldn’t be the same if his team wasn’t the team that went for 2).
    Sounds to me like Brian Kelly is a lock for the job. I can hear Art Vandelay dialing that Florida hotel to ask if anyone wearing ND insignia went into Urban’s hospital room…. Sorry Art. Ain’t gonna happen.

6. IrishOne - Dec 7, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Based on winnning stats, caliber of teams coached/played, and experience, the three top candidates outside of the dream team (Meyer/Stoops) are Kelly, Davis, and Fulmer. I expect one of those three to be named coach and wish one of the first two would.

7. robertg - Dec 8, 2009 at 1:28 AM

keith,
    1. you take that cft trash much too seriously. harbaugh is not even meeting with swarbrick and jenkins and kelly has only agreed to hear what they have to say.
    2. unless kelly and kelly’s wife and children(after speaking with charlie’s wife and son) decide to take the money, go through the motions, get fired in the next cycle, and retire very early, kelly will stay where his wife and children are happy and not be the next victims to be vilified by the vicious media shills that swarbrick and jenkins allowed to harass charlie and his staff and their families and notre dame’s student athletes.
    3. charlie was notre dame’s last hope. charlie would forgive notre dame, but charlie’s wife and son will never do that, nor will we.
    4. swarbrick and jenkins killed that hope, instead of having the guts to take on the corrupt officiating, rules enforcement, and rankings systems.
    5. now, swarbrick and jenkins are 2 very desperate men willing to spend any amounts of other people’s money to get someone else to be the fall guy.
    6.no matter what swarbrick and jenkins do, they will be forever remembered as the 2 morons who helped notre dame’s enemies kill notre dame football and the university of notre dame.
    GO IRISH!!! GET AS FAR AWAY FROM NOTRE DAME AS POSSIBLE!!!

8. jks65 - Dec 8, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Robertg you confuse me and make my head hurt.I liked CW and wanted him to stay.It seems like all the Irish do is start over.But there is alot going own that people can’t see I’m not a real smart person but even I can see things.Even with the cheating CW,JC & Golden should have won more games.CW is not a head coach a good coach takes kids that should not win and gets them to win this even I have done in my life with kids.Made winners state champions out of kids that know one even them though they could do.With the right person the Irish can win & win alot CW has stock the team with talent.He is a great OC for the NFL it did not work at Notre Dame look at the W-L record this year was his best class and they did not get the job done.Look at Skip Holtz he is winning with alot less talent when I watched his team 12-5-09 they looked to me like his Dads irish teams of 1986,87,89,90,91,92,& 93.Robertg go back to loving the team Iliked reading your stuff more then.

9. Keith Arnold - Dec 8, 2009 at 1:39 PM

RobertG,
    I’ve got to ask you to cool it with the ND Swarbrick/Jenkins rhetoric. Whether it’s legit or not, I’d rather have you talking RICO trials then continue to bang the anti-Swarbrick/Jenkins drum. You may not agree with their decision, but even CW said he understands why they did it. Coaching is a results based business and CW’s results weren’t good enough for the ND administration.
    I think everybody hopes that the refs get better, but what’s done is done. Weis isn’t coming back to ND, and the Irish need to find a new coach.

10. kejji - Dec 8, 2009 at 11:20 PM

Real mature Keith…you allow the resident fruit-loop to threaten everybody and every team under the sun, making the most ridiculous, asinine statements and you had no problem with that.
    Now his rubber band has finally snapped and all of a sudden you are asking him to cool it.
    That is something you should have told him long ago.

11. mrrandolph - Dec 9, 2009 at 7:26 AM

Of course BK will not coach Cincy in the bowl game if hired as the new HC at ND. How would it look if our new coach gets a forty-burger hung on him in the Sugar?

12. StephenOfTroy - Dec 10, 2009 at 1:36 AM

As usual, I’m with kejji. If you’re going to censor Robert T. Gilleran, what the heck took you so long? He’s been threatening specific individuals with economic ruin for some time now. I guess that amused you, huh?
    And, if none of the other stuff he wrote got under your skin, why did the gibberish about Swarbrick and Jenkins bother you? At least he was writing about football, instead of about his imaginary legal vendetta against the Catholic Church or the California judiciary.
    Oh wait, I forgot. Those are the “cool” things you “see on cable TV.” My bad. Carry on with your bizarre helicopter-parenting of Robert T. Gilleran.

13. Philadelphia SEO - Feb 5, 2010 at 3:48 AM

In searching for sites related to web hosting and specifically comparison hosting linux plan web, your site came up.

14. Zachariah Daykin - Feb 5, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Very good post. I’ve found your blog via Yahoo and I’m really glad about the information you provide in your posts. Btw your blogs layout is really messed up on the Chrome browser. Would be really great if you could fix that. Anyhow keep up the good work!