Clausen and Tate both declare for the NFL Draft

Dec 7, 2009, 2:40 PM EST

Seated at a table with their former head coach between them, Jimmy Clausen and Golden Tate both declared themselves eligible for the NFL Draft, forgoing their final year of eligibility at Notre Dame.

The decision looked to have been a difficult one, as Clausen became emotional when he gave his opening statement. Golden dazzled us with his humor, thanking his friends in three dorms — Keenan, Farley, and P.W. — the last two being girls dorms, and also thanked his parents for raising a “knucklehead” like him.

Charlie Weis sat in between Clausen and Tate, wearing a sport-coat, but no tie, and didn’t take questions. He was there at the request of Clausen and Tate.

I’ll get into this in greater detail later, but obviously this is a huge loss for the Irish offense.

1. Len - Dec 7, 2009 at 3:56 PM

Only Golden Tate is ready for the NFL.Clausen is making a big mistake but that is his choice.He put up some big stats this year but did not come through when he had chances to win games i.e.USC game.By throwing a TD he could have won the game for the Irish.

2. willmose - Dec 7, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Any college football player with a chance to be selected in the first round or second round of the NFL draft is foolish not to declare for the draft. Why? Simply, money. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Reasons to stay: Get the degree, be loyal to your school, move up in the draft. Reasons to leave: take the money now, avoid injury, move down in the draft. I would take the money now. With million(s) plus in the bank, a player can always finish up his degree. Personally, I never understand why any potential first rounder plays in the bowl games. Why would you risk millions playing in an exhibition game? Even one for the BCS exhibition championship?

3. SCarIrish - Dec 7, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Jimmy doesn’t have to worry about the degree, he’ll get it in May. Remember he was an early enrollee. Tate is a different story…not sure he is ready for the NFL.

4. SCar Irish - Dec 7, 2009 at 4:13 PM

He couldn’t win them all, but there were at 3 games that he won on the last drive. And if the defense had played half as good as it did, they wouldn’t have been in that position in the first place.

5. getreal - Dec 7, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Willmose you are leaving out another huge reason to stay and play in college…
    College PUSSY!

6. taylor - Dec 7, 2009 at 6:49 PM

charlie, jimmy, and golden.. sould’ve stayed

7. tj - Dec 7, 2009 at 7:28 PM

can you say 3-9, 4-8 record for the new guy?

8. Michael - Dec 7, 2009 at 7:28 PM

I couldn’t agree more. I will always believe ND made a mistake for letting touchdown charlie go. If he had stayed so would Jimmy and golden!

9. mrrandolph - Dec 7, 2009 at 8:35 PM

If CW is a man of his word, than he would have encouraged this move in the first place. JC has been preparing for this every since his Dad hired a personal QB coach for him in middle school or was it earlier? Golden’s Dad got drafted and had a cup of coffee in the NFL so I would think he has also been preparing for this opportunity.
    Why would you risk millions playing in an exhibition game? Even one for the BCS exhibition championship? And Willmose can you say Willis McGehee?

10. bill in shanghai - Dec 8, 2009 at 8:03 AM

More fruits of firing CW. The fact that they requested his presence at the announcement is significant I think.

11. John - Dec 8, 2009 at 9:11 AM

Having Weis at the table shows one thing that was not taken into consideration when he was fired. The team believed in him. You don’t see that enough.

12. Len - Dec 8, 2009 at 9:15 AM

The team always believes in their coach no matter who it is.Charlie Weis had his chance at Notre Dame and he failed miserably.

13. Jeremy B - Dec 8, 2009 at 9:56 AM

I think we could all feel this coming. I hope they both excel in the NFL. Especially Clausen, when will everyone get off his back? I’m afraid for him that he will be under scrutiny his entire career just because he went to ND. Tate has been the most electrifying player I have ever seen in a ND uniform(granted I’m only 23 and lets be honest, ND hasn’t had many electric players in that span). But any one who has watched consistently knows he is simply amazing.

14. michael - Dec 8, 2009 at 10:01 AM

I don’t understand why some bloggers still feel the urge to point fingers at charlie. He is gone and because he is gone Jimmy and Golden are gone. That is the way it is. Like it or not Jimmy and Golden would still be there if Charlie was. I heard Jimmy say after the UCONN game in southbend that if Charlie stays he would come back. He went on to say that he did not go to nd for nd but he went there because that is where Charlie was at. I know this is hard for some of you to believe but Charlie got golden and Jimmy not ND. If you don’t believe that then why was he at the press conference with them? They asked him to go because the whole team would have liked for him to stay because they believed in him. I m not saying he was the best coach ND had or anything like that. I am simply stating that just because most of you do not like charlie and wanted him gone does not mean that the team did. He had a special relationship with the players that hasn’t been at ND in along time.

15. Big Daddy - Dec 8, 2009 at 10:25 AM

10-2, 9-3 wasn’t that Charlie’s and Tyrone record in their first season’s. I think Charlie left the cupboards very full. There is a lot of talent here. And the right coach might get good use out of it.

16. ND Fan Forever - Dec 8, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Say what you want but ND made a huge mistake firing Charlie and this just goes to show that the administration didnt listen to the players before they made their decision to fire Charlie. Like it or not the Irish this year had the most powerful offense they have had in a while while injuries slowed them some it was the defense that gave up to many yards and couldnt stop anyone or ND would have been undefeated this year and playing for NC. Yes Charlie is the head coach but come on the defense let everyone down ND offense was one of the most prolific in the NCAA this year. Now Clausen and Tate are gone what does that leave us at QB? A unproven QB coming off a knee injury. Still have some offense weapons. but if the defense doesn’t improve next year could be and o fer 12 year. Good Luck Irish and God Bless Charlie and the whole team…..

17. touchdown jesus - Dec 8, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Take it from me, Notre Lame doesn’t have a prayer…LOL

18. NDFAN in Bama 55 - Dec 8, 2009 at 3:59 PM

The only reason Jimmy didn’t throw a touchdown was because Kamara slipped in his route and missed the ball, it was not Jimmy’s fault

19. willmose - Dec 8, 2009 at 7:21 PM

I’ve been away from college too long as I had completely forgot about that. The professional groupies can’t compete with the college stuff. Of course, Norte Dame is a Catholic college, so none of the coeds engage in that sort of thing until after marriage.

20. willmose - Dec 8, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Willis McGehee is the perfect example. Playing the BCS exhibition game cost him millions. He was lucky that he had a private insurance policy that paid him a couple of million so he could afford the medical care to get his knee fixed right and the follow up rehab to make him draftable (albeit at a much lower price). BTW, without that privately purchased policy, Willis would have been rehabbing out of his own pocket, the school won’t pay for it.

21. msal711 - Dec 9, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Jon Tenuta and Corwin Brown the D coaches did a terrible job, glad they will be gone. I liked Charlie, but he was the head man and it was his responsibility to kick both coaches in the behind.
    I would have started after the Michigan game when they let the frosh QB look like a Heisman winner.
    They should have been a 10-2 team, when I think back about the stupid penalities to stop drives and take away TD’S. Navy, Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Stanford. All these teams ran wild against them. ND could always stop the run, it was the Pass D that gave us ulcers until this season. Bad ref calls, it seems all replays went against them.
    I hope the new coach is Kelly, I like a coach that fires up the troops. A coach that gets on his assistant coaches, players and refs when they make mistakes. A great win over Pittsburgh this past week. Gets on his QB and the guy goes out and wins the game for him.
    I’m hoping that he turns the program around like Ara did when he came from Northwestern.
    He is perfect match, Kelly, Irish.
    Go Irish.

22. Jammers - Dec 9, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Good riddance to both of them i say. I guess they don’t want to actually know what it’s like to win at ND with a good coach. Loyalty is fine but ND is bigger then those two.

23. Sparticus - Dec 11, 2009 at 11:42 PM

My thoughts exactly. Players owe us nothing. How many fans have covered the financial future of players who’ve stuck around, got hurt and lost out on the money?

24. Jimbo - Dec 12, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Is that what they learned, that it’s all about the money? Maybe the leadership should take a closer look at what is being taught about loyalty and sportsmanship under the Dome.

25. ND4Ever - Dec 27, 2009 at 3:36 AM

I cannot believe anyone, including Jimmy Claussen & Golden Tate, would want Charlie Weis to stay at Notre Dame. He was one of the most pathetic coaches in Notre Dame history. I think that both Jimmy Claussen & Golden Tate should stay at Notre Dame for their final year and buy an insurance policy that would pay them if they had a career-ending injury.
    The offense that Charlie Weis ran was offensive! How can a running game be established when the tailback has no one to block for him? Without a running game, a passing game can’t be established. I hate to admit it, but I was a big backer of Charlie Weis when he was hired. Although Charlie Weis made some stupid decisions in the Michigan State game (rushing on 4th & 9!) and was humiliated by Ohio State in the 2006 Fiesta Bowl (34-20, but the game wasn’t as close as the final score indicates) during his first year, I remained a steadfast supporter. Notre Dame was screwed in the 2005 USC game. The officials didn’t penalize USC when Pete Carroll’s son (a USC assistant) called time-out in the final seconds when USC didn’t have any time-outs and the officials didn’t penalize USC when Reggie Bush pushed Matt Leinart over the goal line. However, except for the 2005 USC game, the only person who can be blamed for Notre Dame’s lack of success is Charlie Weis. It soon became apparent that Charlie Weis wasn’t a wizard with offense; instead, he was the lucky beneficiary of some great professional football teams that had excellent head coaches.
    Charlie Weis had some of the finest talent in the country and he could guarantee that recruits who signed with Notre Dame would have at least 50%, and more likely, 80% of their games televised nationwide; and still, he wasn’t able to win games against sub-par talent! I believe that anyone who says that Notre Dame shouldn’t have fired Charlie Weis is a Notre Dame hater in disguise.
    Let’s review some facts.: 1. a 3-9 season, 2. a 6-6 season, 3. the 2007 loss to Navy (a team that doesn’t even recruit football players) after winning an NCAA-record 43 years!, 4. the 2009 loss to Navy, 5. stupid 4th down attempts, 6. barely winning, in the last minute, several games against unranked teams during 2009. I could go on, and on, and on, and on, ad nauseum.
    I had to stop watching Notre Dame football games after the first quarter during 2007, 2008, and 2009, because my blood pressure would sky-rocket! If Charlie Weis had been man enough, he would have resigned as coach; rather than force Notre Dame to fire him!
    Long live Brian Kelly! He has proven that he is an awesome head coach! He has taken teams that were mediocre at best, and transformed them into winners!