Dec 7, 2009, 2:40 PM EDT
Seated at a table with their former head coach between them, Jimmy Clausen and Golden Tate both declared themselves eligible for the NFL Draft, forgoing their final year of eligibility at Notre Dame.
The decision looked to have been a difficult one, as Clausen became emotional when he gave his opening statement. Golden dazzled us with his humor, thanking his friends in three dorms — Keenan, Farley, and P.W. — the last two being girls dorms, and also thanked his parents for raising a “knucklehead” like him.
Charlie Weis sat in between Clausen and Tate, wearing a sport-coat, but no tie, and didn’t take questions. He was there at the request of Clausen and Tate.
I’ll get into this in greater detail later, but obviously this is a huge loss for the Irish offense.
- The good, bad and ugly: Notre Dame vs. Rice 47
- Five things we learned: Notre Dame 48, Rice 17 108
- Pregame Six Pack: At long last, the season begins 26
- And in that corner… The Rice Owls 8
- Kelly names Collinsworth, Day, Martin and McDaniel captains 40
- Setting the bar: Expectations for the 2014 Irish 93