Dec 7, 2009, 2:40 PM EDT
Seated at a table with their former head coach between them, Jimmy Clausen and Golden Tate both declared themselves eligible for the NFL Draft, forgoing their final year of eligibility at Notre Dame.
The decision looked to have been a difficult one, as Clausen became emotional when he gave his opening statement. Golden dazzled us with his humor, thanking his friends in three dorms — Keenan, Farley, and P.W. — the last two being girls dorms, and also thanked his parents for raising a “knucklehead” like him.
Charlie Weis sat in between Clausen and Tate, wearing a sport-coat, but no tie, and didn’t take questions. He was there at the request of Clausen and Tate.
I’ll get into this in greater detail later, but obviously this is a huge loss for the Irish offense.
- The good, the bad and the ugly: The 86th annual Blue-Gold game 60
- Five things we learned: Gold 36, Blue 34 76
- Pregame Six Pack: Finishing spring practice strong 3
- Even without guarantee, Kelly expects Golson to return next season 107
- Grace opens up about the long road back 44
- Irish QB battle with (understandably) head into fall camp 12