Dec 7, 2009, 1:27 PM EDT
Just got word from a few people that Golden Tate will be joining Jimmy Clausen at today’s press conference to discuss their collegiate futures at Notre Dame. According to the Chicago Tribune’s Brian Hamilton and ESPN’s Adam Schefter and Joe Schad, Golden is likely joining Jimmy in declaring for the NFL Draft.
This is a lot to digest on a Monday, but I also suspect the reports are true and Tate’s going to head for the NFL as well, seeing as his draft stock can’t get much better. After discussing this with some other college football writers, this is probably a smart jump for Tate, as he’ll likely face some stiff competition in next year’s draft at wideout.
Where Tate goes in the draft has been widely debated, but it all likely hinges on the 40-yard dash time he runs at the combine. As Tate will mention, he and his mother sat down with Charlie Weis, who undoubtedly checked with a few people he knew within the league for an accurate assessment of Tate’s draft status.
The development of Tate in three seasons has been truly staggering. From a beyond raw wide receiver who only knew how to run a go pattern as a true freshman, to an unstoppable whirling dervish that will most likely win the Biletnikoff Award as the country’s best wide receiver, Tate’s final season, like Clausen’s, should also go down as one of the greatest individual seasons in Notre Dame history.
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame 132
- Academic misconduct investigation underway at Notre Dame 58
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season 130
- Ready or Not: Young Irish defenders making moves 82
- Kelly names Golson starting quarterback 78
- Irish A-to-Z: Max Redfield 56
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame (132)
- Kelly addresses academic investigation (131)
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season (130)
- Phillip Daniels feels confident son DaVaris will be cleared (95)
- Ready or Not: Young Irish defenders making moves (82)