As the rumor mill churns: Twitter hack edition – UPDATED

Dec 8, 2009, 2:18 PM EDT

Not much new to report from yesterday’s late post, but you’ve got to believe that something is going to happen this week. With the elite of college football converging on New York, this feels like one of those great final sequences in a suspense movie, like Thomas Crown walking into the museum and then all those bowler hats start coming out of no where…

Yesterday’s Twitter news by Brian Kelly seemed to get everybody thinking that the Irish and Kelly were ready to sit down and hash out the details. But now, word is coming that Kelly’s Twitter account has been hacked, which would maybe explain this recent post:

“I’m just in NYC for the Hall of Fame dinner. No interview today- Believe ME.”

Brian Hamilton of the Chicago Tribune is running with the hacked Twitter account story, which he is now reporting on his Twitter account, making this just another bizarre turn of events in this roller-coaster ride that has Notre Dame fans ready to reach for the barf bag.

UPDATE — Hamilton’s source is likely Tom Gelehrter, the Manager of New Media and Broadcasting for the Cincinnati Bearcats, who now goes on the record, via Twitter, that he Kelly’s Twitter account WAS NOT HACKED.

Retraction….I was misinformed. BK’s Twitter account was NOT HACKED. I apologize for the confusion.

Add the New Media and Broadcasting department to the group of people that have been hoodwinked by this coaching search. Man, this is fun!

* Mark Blaudshun, a college football writer for the Boston Globe, seems to think that Randy Edsall could be the guy that ends up coaching in South Bend. His most recent Twitter post reads as such:

More and more signs are pointing towards Uconn’s Randy Edsall as the No. 1 guy on NDs list”

Not sure what kind of contacts Blaudshun has in and around Notre Dame, but at this point, I’m starting to think that everybody’s a expert.

* The wonderful FootballCoachScoop, famous for the Bret Bielema rumors, is now reporting:

FootballCoachScoop has BREAKING NEWS and FIRST TO REPORT that Brian Kelly (Cincinnati Head Coach) and Jim Harbaugh (Stanford Head Coach) are no longer candidates and they will NOT be the next Head Coach of the IRISH.

They followed that up with:

Again,
FootballCoachScoop has learned that Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick’s
focus is on UConn Head Coach Randy Edsall, for the vacancy for Head Coach with the Irish

All this means that they probably have a Twitter account and they follow some of the same people that we watch.

Here’s hoping this all comes to a stirring conclusion in the next few days, as I’d really like to get something done one of these days, instead of working the Blackberry and internet nonstop.

1. TLNDMA - Dec 8, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Maybe Swarbrick,at the press conference to announce the new coach, could do like the kids when they annouce their commitments. Lay out three or four hats of the coaches in the rumor mill(Cincy, Stanford,UConn) and then put the winners on. The lids been kept on tight so far. Do we really need to know the minute it happens? Next games in September. Yeah, we need to know.

2. NDFAN401 - Dec 8, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Did I miss the memo, Is this a matter of National Security? MOVE THE PROCESS ALONG PEOPLE!!!!

3. SeantheFan - Dec 8, 2009 at 4:06 PM

“this feels like one of those great final sequences in a suspense movie, like Thomas Crown walking into the museum and then all those bowler hats start coming out of no where…”
    Now I know why I read this blog……great movie references.
    STF

4. 2009 Bowl Games - Dec 8, 2009 at 4:24 PM

We’re all throwing darts blindly at this point.
    Do a lot of people actually want Kelly though? I just think Notre Dame needs a truly proven big-level winner, and I’m not sure if I trust his experience.

5. Other Mike - Dec 8, 2009 at 4:35 PM

FootballCoachScoop has BREAKING NEWS and FIRST TO REPORT that Brian Kelly (Cincinnati Head Coach) and Jim Harbaugh (Stanford Head Coach) have BOTH been hired and will share responsibilities as Head Coach of the IRISH.

6. sharkey - Dec 8, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Think i’ll check out what the National Enquirer has to say about all this. They have better sources.

7. StephenOfTroy - Dec 9, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Hey NDFAN, where’ve you been? Don’t tell me that the tryptophan from the Thanksgiving turkey knocked you out for two weeks… Good to see you again. I understand your impatience, but you’ve got to appreciate how much pressure is on ND to get THIS hire right. I’m okay with them moving deliberately…as long as they’re moving.
    I don’t know much about Randy Edsall except what I saw and heard during the UConn vs. ND game, but he seemed like he cared a lot about his players and he had them ready to play in South Bend, which is a big challenge for a program like his, let alone one reeling from the tragic murder of a player. Whoever the new coach is (I still think it’s Kelly, and Art is still lighting a candle each night in case Urban gets lost on his way to South Bend), I’m fully behind him. It would be interesting to watch a relative unknown like Edsall step into what used to be one of the most high-profile jobs in sports.
    Sort of unrelated, but does anyone know what’s going on with the Irish at QB for next season? There’s a lot of talk about Crist and his injury that will prevent him from going full-speed in spring training. Forgive my ignorance, but do the Irish have any other QB’s or are they known to be recruiting anyone at that position yet? Just curious, thanks in advance.
    GO IRISH!

8. Tyson F. Gautreaux - Dec 10, 2009 at 3:11 AM

Anyone knows where I can purchase a copy of R4 DS? Can’t seem to find it these days. NDS Roms

9. Stetson - Dec 10, 2009 at 10:45 AM

great post man thanks

10. Stoney - Dec 12, 2009 at 12:13 PM

It would serve Clausen and Tate to re-think their decision to enter the draft and stay to play for Kelly. Graduating from ND is as important as playing football. His offense will be similar to Weis’ but the defense will be better and with it more wins. The past two Novembers the team has gone south; why and what for since their opponents except for USC have been either side of 500 at best.

11. shoe lifts - Jan 24, 2010 at 4:58 AM

I have found an impeccable outlet for shoe inserts and would really like to share it with your readers, I hope this is ok?

12. shoe inserts - Jan 24, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Excellent, there are actually some worthwhile points on here many of my subscribers will find this useful, I will send a link, many thanks.

13. five day job - Jan 24, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Hi there, I have been lurking on your blog for a couple weeks. I like this article and your whole site! Keep writing!