As the rumor mill churns… Edsall..? Edsall?!?

Dec 9, 2009, 10:30 PM EDT

Tuesday’s report by the Chicago Tribune made people fairly certain that Brian Kelly was going to become the next football coach at Notre Dame. When ESPN wasn’t too busy trying to out “TMZ” TMZ on the Tiger Woods story, they were running Joe Schad’s report that things between Kelly and the Irish were “heating up.”

Wednesday, there didn’t seem to be any sign that things heated up, cooled down, or blew up with Kelly. We know nothing. No Brian Kelly Twitter updates, no new leaks, no contract details. Action Jack has once again got things on lockdown.

But now news comes that Randy Edsall and the Irish have “mutual interest” in each other. Let’s just say that one didn’t go over too well with members of ND Nation.

Here’s a quick sampling:

Please for the love of god have the BOT inform Swarbrick and Jenkins
that under no circumstances is Randy Etsal an acceptable hire for ND.”

“The Uconn coach would be the end of ND football. He is going to be a sub
500 coach after his bowl game. There are 20 other guys out there that
are better than Randy.”

“Kelly deal has fallen through and we are on to Edsall. What a joke and I am not giving another dime to the Univeristy.”

“If this is true, it represents a total surrender by this administration of the football program to mediocrity.”

“I just read this clowns bio on wikipedia.  ND hired a dude who didn’t
get the AD jobs at IU & Stanford.  Seriously…. I think deep down
Swarbrick is a USC & Michigan fan.”

I could go on and on, but the gist of it is that people aren’t too fired up about Randy Edsall.

I’ve been hard on the guy, but he could very well be a football coach that could succeed at Notre Dame, but this hire would have to go down as an absolute FAIL for Swarbrick.

That said, there’s been plenty of rumors rolling through today, including a now “mystery candidate” that IrishSportsDaily’s Mike Frank is starting to dig into.

The situation with Kelly could very well have hit a snag, but I also believe that this is all part of negotiating. While Edsall doesn’t look like a home run hire, Swarbrick has to at least continue kicking the tires on vetted candidates while he hashes out the details with Kelly’s agent. If he didn’t, Swarbrick wouldn’t be doing his job.

FAVORITE THEORY OF THE DAY:

From irish73102:

“a friend of mine showed me an e mail yesterday, and he lives near
gainsville. there is a rumor around the florida campus that meyer is
talking with nd and it is starting to spread.”

As Lloyd Christmas would say, “So you’re telling me there’s a chance… Yeah!”

1. irishfanintx - Dec 9, 2009 at 10:43 PM

I don’t know a lot about Edsall or Kelly aside from their coaching record. If one is looking at just the W-L then Kelly would have to be the choice. Skip Holtz has a fairly decent record at Conn and at East Carolina has to be close to as good if not better than Edsall”s. With the family ties to ND any thoughts on why he isn’t being given any consideration? Not saying that I think he is the coach for the job just wondering why he wouldn’t be given much credence as a candidate.

2. StephenOfTroy - Dec 9, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Maybe I missed it, Keith Arnold, but you could perhaps elaborate on why Edsall would be “an absolute fail” for Swarbrick (and ND)? I don’t know much about the guy, but he seemed like a class act in his win over ND. And, after all, he DID beat the guy whose praises you can’t stop singing.

3. el - Dec 9, 2009 at 10:54 PM

A couple of thoughts:
    Before jumping all over Edsall, let me give Irish fans a name to think about: Jim Tressel. No, I’m not suggesting the Senator would bolt Columbus for South Bend. I am saying that, back in the winter of 2001, when Ohio State fans were salivating over the thought of Bob Stoops, John Gruden, Mike Belloti, and Walt Harris, who would have thought a complete unknown from a 1-AA program would get the job? Who would have guessed he would have had incredible success at Ohio State? Sure, Tressel had advantages that Edsall won’t (namely, he knew Ohio HS football better than anyone in America and you can recruit a national title caliber team most years if you get the bulk of the talent in Ohio). But, more than those advantages, Tressel is a good football coach. Edsall may well be that.
    Second, one coach that I’m surprised hasn’t been floated is Jim Grobe. The guy won the ACC at Wake Forest. I don’t care if it’s been a down decade for the ACC. Winning the ACC at Wake Forest is harder than winning at Duke. Wake has 4,000 undergrads and is located in a pit of city in central North Carolina. It’s also a solid academic institution that has forced Grobe to recruit in a tougher environment than most coaches. I think he’d be a great fit for Notre Dame.

4. mef811 - Dec 9, 2009 at 11:27 PM

if history tells us anything old rich rod blew his final against PITT too in his final game, before landing on the big house. hopefully UM might have been looking ahead to good old NOTRE DAME!! GO IRISH!!!!!!

5. TLNDMA - Dec 10, 2009 at 8:27 AM

El, well said. So many people state their opinions as fact, too few actually make solid arguments. Hardly any put as much thought and logic into their points as you did.

6. tj - Dec 10, 2009 at 8:29 AM

since all the ‘hullabaloo’ is focusing on the ‘hot’ names of the day (Kelly, Edsall, Stoops, Meyer), the South
    Bend Tribune (by robertg’s favorite, Eric Hansen, no less) today ran a story on a name i’ve been floating out there for the past 2-3 wks……Tommy Tuberville. Looking how Swarbrick has been keeping a lid on things, he may surprise all with a coach who has been running under the radar, so to speak

7. John - Dec 10, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Edsall is a very impressive man, that being said I just do not think he is as polished and ready for the onslaught that will await him in SB, they same way Kelly is. I mean, Kelly has a political background, that after all his coaching accomplishments, makes him even more suited for this job! If ND picks Edsall it is only because Kelly did not pan out and in the end ND can do far worse. The only thing that worries me about Edsall is that he is a risky hire, in the sense that if he gets the gig and lights a fire to win then great, but if he fails five years from now ND will be in a heap of S. There are no guarantees with any hire!!

8. Carl - Dec 10, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Let’s face it. After the way coaches have been treated at Notre Dame over the past years, there is only one motivation to coach here – money. The snag in Kelly’s deal undoubtedly has alot to do with the green stuff. So pony-up alums.

9. Mikie - Dec 10, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Was that Edsall or Edsel?

10. bolsh - Dec 10, 2009 at 12:15 PM

tj, I agree that Tommy Tuberville would be a good hire. Mark Richt also would have been a good possibility.
    I think Edsall is a fine candidate and has been successful running the ball for years at UConn. ND probably will need to run the football more next year with Clausen gone and Crist coming of the ACL. Kelly has been successful, but not sure if the spread offense will catch on quick enough.

11. Kasey Genous - Feb 7, 2010 at 2:11 AM

lol, Tiger is so crazy! hopefully he can recover from this.

12. Mina Mogensen - Feb 11, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Thanks for emphasizing this issue. We provide cleanroom validation in Turkey.