Report: Kelly next Notre Dame football coach

Dec 10, 2009, 5:07 PM EST

Eric Hansen at the South Bend Tribune is reporting that two sources tell him that Brian Kelly will be named the next football coach at Notre Dame.

SOUTH BEND — The search is finally over.

According to two university sources familiar with the search process, University of Cincinnati head coach Brian Kelly will be named Charlie Weis’ successor at Notre Dame.

Kelly is expected to meet with his team Thursday night before the Bearcats’ football banquet to inform them of his decision. The media were suddenly banned from the banquet Thursday afternoon.

Kelly, 48, is 34-6 in his third full season at UC.
He is 160-54-2 in his 19th year of coaching at Cincinnati, Western
Michigan (sic) and Grand Valley State.

Weis was officially fired Nov. 30 following five seasons with a 35-27 record.

ESPN is already weighing in, with Chris Mortensen reporting the same thing. The Trib must’ve been in quite a hurry to get this one up because they mistakenly report that Kelly coached at Western Michigan, not Central Michigan.

Hopefully this brings an end to one of the more ridiculous weeks of rumor mongering ever. Notre Dame got the game most thought they’d get. Good job by Jack Swarbrick.

1. bak - Dec 10, 2009 at 5:18 PM

well that’s it. ND football is toast.
    Sorry RobertG. Beat you to it.

2. robertg - Dec 10, 2009 at 5:24 PM

1. yes, kelly has made that fatal error for himself and his family and for notre dame.
    2. eric hansen and the other media shills who make their livings by recycling notre dame coaches will welcome kelly and his family very warmly at 1st, but then start recycling the same vicious and fraudulent attacks against kelly and his family that they used to vilify davie, tyrone, and charlie.
    3. we are informed that kelly was intelligent enough to build into his contract a very healthy back end to cover his very early retirement.
    4. notre dame’s joining the ivy league in football will eventualy come if notre dame wants to survive.
    GO IRISH!!!

3. Art Vandelay - Dec 10, 2009 at 5:30 PM

And StephenofTroy gets to keep Helen.

4. TLNDMA - Dec 10, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Good luck Coach Kelly. As Tom Pagna wrote in B&G Illustrated, “for those that think ND is down for good, it’s a very long road that doesn’t have any turns in it.” GO IRISH!

5. Kevin - Dec 10, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Very happy GO IRISH

6. willmose - Dec 10, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Gosh, I’m agreeing with Keith. I think that Norte Dame did get the most they thought they could get. What I like about Kelly? He’s been a HEAD coach for 19 years. Norte Dame doesn’t need a learning curve for some assistant coach. He won 2 national championship in Division II. Kelly’s won every where he’s been. 160-54-2 ain’t too shabby. Of course, the big question is can Kelly handle the big time? Now he has the chance. Interesting times ahead for Norte Dame football.

7. IndianaJoe - Dec 10, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Alright, now the fun begins.
    Kelly will do just fine. His teams play hard and he certainly gets the most out of the talent he has to work with. Let’s see how the recruiting goes over the next month and a half. That will certainly tell us how the next generation of player feel about this move.
    Go Irish.

8. wes holtz - Dec 10, 2009 at 6:49 PM

GO IRISH

9. Chuckit - Dec 10, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Wishing great success to Brian Kelly and Notre Dame football! May excellence be ever present in this new chapter!

10. sharkey - Dec 10, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Well… here we go again.
    I must say I have my reservations about Kelly. Yes, he has done well with other teams, but the big question is how can he do with the nearly impossible requirements of Notre Dame? His coaching is solid, but his recruiting will tell the tale.However, I was hoping for a more proven division 1 coach.
    Here’s hoping I’m wrong and Coach Kelly has a long and successful career at Notre Dame.
    Go IRISH!!

11. Kejji - Dec 10, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Well I must say robertg has quite the reputation..not only here but on many other sites as well…here is a letter to robertg from another sports blog concerning the hiring of coach Kelly…ahem, and I quote:
    “robertg-Where are you? Have you deactivated your transponder?
    The omniscient Zorkon has called you back to Regulus 5. With the Notre Dame situation taken care of, you have a new mission. The Krayloks are considering firing Zontar X and his entire staff operatives. Our reconnaissance indicates that they are violating interplanetary RICO acts and the Gorlon lawyers are not responding to our transmissions. We have little time, since the Magistrate Triumvurate ends their 40-year stasis in just 4 parsecs.
    Also stop and grab Corsus Cretinus (Lee Corso) and bring him back with you. He’s due for recharging. We don’t want to make the same mistake we did with Mickey Rooney.
    Oh, and grab me a sandwich on your way in. And not from Uranus again. I burned both rectums after that last one.
    Hail Grutos,
    Borkon IV

12. MIchael - Dec 10, 2009 at 7:59 PM

I think that he will do as good a job as he possibly can however I just don’t understand why ND would fire a offensive coach and he replace him with another one. How will this help our defense? Coach Kelly is a great coach I am not bad mouthing him in anyway form or fashion but how really don’t see how this is a great improvement from Charlie. I know Coach Kelly has been a winner everywhere else but ND is different than all the rest. It seems that this move by action jack will just make it hard for our offensive players… they have to learn a new system while at the same time doing nothing to help our D, which is the ONLY thing that needed fixed. Would it not have been better, cheaper, and easier to let Charlie stay and get whoever you wanted and needed to help make the defense average. All we needed was average to win. Now we have no qb,no golden as well as learning a new system and still have no answers not one for the defense. I hope I am wrong but next year may be a long tough one as well as the years to come.

13. steve - Dec 10, 2009 at 8:26 PM

Fire Kelly now. He is winless at Notre Dame, hasn’t recruited a soul and most of all didn’t get Notre Dame into a BSC bowl this year. For crying out loud.

14. StephenOfTroy - Dec 10, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Art, that was actually my first thought upon reading the news. My second thought was that Robert T. Gilleran is at this very moment performing last rites for Notre Dame. Then he will burn a photograph of Jack Swarbrick standing next to Father Jenkins in an Omerta ritual.
    Now that we’ve cured you of your Urban Meyer madness, you can join me in wishing Brian Kelly and his family a warm welcome to South Bend.
    Though Swarbrick may have conducted his search in secret, he did it in plain sight. Many media members correctly surmised that Kelly was the leading candidate for some time now.

15. GC - Dec 10, 2009 at 9:41 PM

Just like your stupid opinion.

16. GC - Dec 10, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Spoken like a true ND hater. We will see, fool. Somehow,Someway,and,Someday soon, all of you ND haters will eat crow.

17. bolsh - Dec 10, 2009 at 11:28 PM

I’m not completely sold on Kelly and the spread at ND, but he has been very successful everywhere he has been. I wish him the best of luck and hope he can do well.

18. bak - Dec 11, 2009 at 6:46 AM

Well, first of all, that comment was completely tongue in cheek directed at robertg. Secondly, I wouldn’t classify myself as a ND hater. I only openly root for them to lose once a year – when they play USC. That’s it. I only cruise this forum every now and again to see what pearls of wisdom that master litigator robertg has to dole out. In reference to your reply to another “hater” that ND will return to glory or whatnot, you are probably correct. It might serve ND well not to give B Kelly a $25M/5 yr extension after he wins his first game though. Seems there might have been a little dust on the crystal ball last time they did something like that.

19. Jake - Dec 11, 2009 at 7:36 AM

Well we won’t miss Robertg, aside from the comic relief, and I don’t mind him picking up Corso. They gotta leave the stuffed heads though. Maybe Kirk can use them next year.

20. Mark - Dec 11, 2009 at 11:57 PM

I think it was wrong for him to leave UC before the bowl game and it was wrong for ND to ask him to leave before the game as well. How do these kids look at him as a role model? What value does he have to leave UC before their biggest game? Look how Rodriquez has done at UM. ND and Kelly are sending the wrong message to the kids. I was going to support him in this opportunity, not now. He is not a man of his words. If I was a kid I would not play for him. Maybe he will leave when a Pro job comes up.
    Hope you have a worse record than Weis!
    Paterno is the last coach with real class, morels and ethics.

21. DePressley - Dec 12, 2009 at 5:49 AM

What ever !!! We’ll see what happens to ND.

22. Qiqi Chen - Jan 9, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Hi nice content there. keep it up.I honestly love to read your site.Last of all have good night

23. Latisha Magid - Jan 20, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Darf ich fragen, wie heisst den das verwendete WordPress Theme hier? Ich hab das schon mal wo gesehen und w

24. Ivette Starcevic - Feb 21, 2010 at 12:23 PM

You are a very smart person!