Dec 15, 2009, 8:09 PM EDT
As Corwin Brown alluded to this morning, at least one assistant coach is likely to be retained by new head coach Brian Kelly.
This from Eric Hansen of the South Bend Tribune:
A source close to the football program said running backs coach Tony Alford has been retained off former head coach Charlie Weis’ staff.
He’s already out recruiting today,” the source said.
Alford, 41, is an Akron, Ohio, native who came to Notre Dame in January
following a two-year stint at Louisville. In just that one year, he
became one of Notre Dame’s strongest recruiters.
He is credited
with landing elite defensive tackle prospect Louis Nix of Jacksonville,
Fla., when the Irish were between head coaches.
recruiting territory during the Weis regime was primarily Dallas/Fort
Worth, north Florida, Colorado, Arkansas and Oklahoma.
From day one, Alford staying on staff was almost presumed.
From various rumors and reports, the fate of coaches Brian Polian and graduate assistant Bryant Young are still being decided, with the rest of the assistant coaches most likely being let go.
- The good, bad and ugly: Notre Dame vs. Rice 66
- Five things we learned: Notre Dame 48, Rice 17 109
- Pregame Six Pack: At long last, the season begins 26
- And in that corner… The Rice Owls 8
- Kelly names Collinsworth, Day, Martin and McDaniel captains 40
- Setting the bar: Expectations for the 2014 Irish 93