Dec 15, 2009, 8:09 PM EST
As Corwin Brown alluded to this morning, at least one assistant coach is likely to be retained by new head coach Brian Kelly.
This from Eric Hansen of the South Bend Tribune:
A source close to the football program said running backs coach Tony Alford has been retained off former head coach Charlie Weis’ staff.
He’s already out recruiting today,” the source said.
Alford, 41, is an Akron, Ohio, native who came to Notre Dame in January
following a two-year stint at Louisville. In just that one year, he
became one of Notre Dame’s strongest recruiters.
He is credited
with landing elite defensive tackle prospect Louis Nix of Jacksonville,
Fla., when the Irish were between head coaches.
recruiting territory during the Weis regime was primarily Dallas/Fort
Worth, north Florida, Colorado, Arkansas and Oklahoma.
From day one, Alford staying on staff was almost presumed.
From various rumors and reports, the fate of coaches Brian Polian and graduate assistant Bryant Young are still being decided, with the rest of the assistant coaches most likely being let go.
- Five things we learned: Louisville 31, Notre Dame 28 71
- Pregame Six Pack: Battling Louisville in Senior sendoff 40
- After unexplainable loss, can Irish rally again? 94
- And in that corner… The Louisville Cardinal 52
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Northwestern 100
- Five things we learned: Northwestern 43, Notre Dame 40 233