Reports: Alford the only coach staying

Dec 17, 2009, 7:00 PM EDT

The South Bend Tribune and Irish Sports Daily are reporting that Tony Alford is the only coach being retained by new head coach Brian Kelly.

With Rob Ianello leaving for the Akron head coaching job and Corwin Brown already announcing he was leaving, that means Kelly decided against keeping defensive coordinator Jon Tenuta, defensive line coach Randy Hart, offensive line coach Frank Verducci, tight ends coach Bernie Parmalee, quarterbacks coach Ron Powlus, and special teams coach Brian Polian.

According to reports, graduate assistant Bryant Young and strength and conditioning coach Rueben Mendoza will both be leaving the program as well.

Reports surfaced earlier that Corwin Brown would be interviewing for the vacant head coaching job at Buffalo and Brian Polian was a candidate for the Youngstown State job that was filled by South Carolina assistant and Youngstown native Eric Wolford.

Many expected that Kelly would potentially keep Polian for his recruiting acumen as well as graduate assistant Young, who was seen as a huge asset with NFL playing experience and a Notre Dame degree.

1. TLNDMA - Dec 17, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Keith, I’d like to know more about Bryant Young’s situation. Specifically, the grad asst. position. When Young took the position, how long was his agreement with Weis for? Are all GA positions the same as far as time commitments? What other parameters are there for GAs?
    It seemed from what I read during the season that Young and Hart enjoyed working together. Young’s quotes during the season lead me to believe that he was hoping to stay in coaching. I’m a little suprised he was cut loose, since as you mentioned he is an ND grad.

2. Forerunner 305 reviews - Jan 13, 2010 at 4:13 AM

Well, this is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us valuable information to work on. You have done a marvellous job!

3. Shauna Barabas - Jan 16, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Nice post!

4. college degree abbreviations - Jan 18, 2010 at 2:01 PM

I am a parent of a highschool girl. She is very interested in electrical engineering. I am considering sending her to get a college-degree in engineering but I am aftraid it does not suit a girl.

5. college degree paper - Jan 18, 2010 at 3:56 PM

I am taking a college degree in accounting. I am completely uninterested. I am consideing a college degree in geography. Is the switch easy?

6. Oil Change - Jan 27, 2010 at 10:00 PM

if every editor wrote like you believe me the world would be a better place! this was an excellent read expecting more!

7. Oil Change - Jan 27, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Thanks for posting this. Would be intrested to read more or possibly please contact me by email thank you!