The art of information

Dec 23, 2009, 7:30 AM EDT

(Posting is going to be a little sporadic the next few days. I’ll do my best to keep everybody updated if anything big happens, but most likely things will be quiet here on Christmas Eve and Christmas day, as I’ll be in a semi-remote part of the great state of Minnesota that doesn’t tend to agree with the internet. Either way, Happy holidays.)

Brian Kelly’s decision to meet with the media yesterday — two different sessions, one with print writers, the other with internet reporters — was a strategic move that truly showed that the new Notre Dame head coach understands the flow of information and how important the media is to his job as the head coach of Notre Dame. While Charlie Weis was always candid in his media sessions, there was always an adversarial relationship with Weis and working members of the media. Whether it was ESPN or a local reporter, it seemed like there were guys that Weis didn’t like, and guys that didn’t like Weis. That’s not a good thing for a coach, especially when you have a team so susceptible to mood swings like those of the Weis regime.

During Kelly’s session with the internet writers, the role of subscription websites came up (Rivals, Scout, etc.). Here’s what Kelly had to say on the subject:

“You guys have a job to do, but you also represent the interests of Notre Dame with your subscription members. I would think, and maybe I’m wrong, a lot of them are Notre Dame supporters. My expectations would be that you would want to provide content that allows your subscribers to continue to subscribe.

“We can give you access and allow you to do some things that other people can’t do. Whether it be the Tribune or the Chicago papers, it really just depends on how we want to lay the ground rules down to be quite honest with you.

“If you want access to players, if you want access to players, if you like to do things that others can’t do then we’re going to carve that out. We can treat you like the newspaper journalist or you could get some access that others can’t get. I think we’ll have to sit down and our next time we get together after this will be, ‘What’s the rules of engagement? How do we do this?’ I can tell you how we did [it] at Cincinnati. When I got there no one [cared] about Cincinnati football. So we were just happy as heck to have anybody write something about us. So it was like, ‘Come on. You can stand on the sideline with me. You can call a play.’

“At the end of the day, we want to win. You want Notre Dame to win. If Notre Dame wins and it’s positive, you get more people. Again, Brian [Hardin] will probably lead that kind of initiative because we haven’t even crafted it yet. I just wanted to meet you guys and give you guys some access and talk about some of the things that were on the agenda for where we are. We’ll have to sit down and say ‘Okay, here’s how we’re going to do this stuff.’ Then maybe you guys after this conversation can kind of communicate your wants, desires, concerns. Then we can craft back some of those things.”

I can’t even begin to tell you how much I agree with Kelly’s approach to these subscription websites. For many, this is the source material for their impressions of the Notre Dame football team. The information they find out about recruiting, about player development, the daily source for “insider” scoop, these websites funnel information to websites like ND Nation, where thousands more get their information, and eventually, the collective decides whether or not they like the direction the Notre Dame football program is going. For Kelly to reach out and understand that sites like Tim Prister’s and Mike Frank’s are different than the stuff you’ll find on Brian Hamilton’s blog at the Chicago Tribune is essential to understanding what makes the media tick.

Charlie Weis acknowledged that this separation existed when he hand-picked certain writers for his infamous final interview. But the fact that Weis’ message was lost when he stupidly felt comfortable to talk about a sleepy beach community that kicked Lebowski to the curb underscored the fact that Charlie never figured out how to use the media.

Using the media doesn’t mean exploiting the media. But it does mean understanding the job that all of us working to cover the team have to do. Notre Dame built its tradition on the back of unrivaled media coverage that turned Notre Dame into America’s college football program. While it’s silly to argue that Notre Dame still has the same stranglehold on the national headlines that it did back in the days of Rockne (or even Parseghian), it’s just as naive to think that Notre Dame doesn’t need to be proactive when cultivating it’s imagine in an era that finds just as many people in the media resenting Notre Dame’s ubiquitous position.

While Kelly has yet to do anything that has do to with actually playing football, yesterday’s interviews continue to show that he has a masterful ability to focus on the minute details. If those skills translate to the football field (and they have in his past two stops at the D-I level),  Irish fans will be incredibly happy next fall.

1. Jake - Dec 23, 2009 at 8:36 AM

Keith:
    Have a great holiday “up Nort”
    It certainly seems that Kelly has taken the ball in the press game.
    Now if he could get Mark May to shove a sock in it he might qualify for Sainthood. Well maybe a minor saint.

2. robertg - Dec 23, 2009 at 3:52 PM

1. for a preview of what will happen at notre dame if kelly and the other cancers are not cut out right away, try today’s la times online and the article by our friend T. J. Simers “USC Coach Pete Carroll has been hung out to dry by Mike Garrett”.
    GO IRISH !!!

3. Irish - Dec 23, 2009 at 4:08 PM

robertg,
    shut up
    thanks, bye

4. bolsh - Dec 23, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Keith,
    I agree. Brian Kelly is doing quite a good job with media relations so far. It won’t win games, but it can’t hurt either.

5. Art Vandelay - Dec 23, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Kelly seems to hit all the right notes to keep his constituency happy. Politics has served him well. Words come cheap, however. I just hope he can produce at ND like he’s done elsewhere. It’s going to be a long wait til we get to see what’s possible. I think calling him a cancer that has to be cut out is slightly on the harsh side.

6. TedLinko - Dec 24, 2009 at 12:54 AM

@Art, Just ignore robertg. He writes inane stuff like that all the time.
    I agree. The ability to handle PR won’t win games, but it may keep the wolves at bay long enough for the rest of his coaching skills to translate into success. Plus, good PR won’t hurt in recruiting, success in which is necessary (though not sufficient) for winning.
    Kelly’s track record elsewhere bodes in his favor and nothing he has done so far would lead me to believe that he isn’t up to the task at hand (Which was my greatest fear when he was hired)

7. willmose - Dec 24, 2009 at 8:05 AM

It is no surprise to me, but Kelly simply knows what he is doing. This fact alone bodes well for Irish under his leadership. Brian has a Merry Christmas and wonderful holiday season. Keep up the good work in the new year.

8. mef811 - Dec 25, 2009 at 6:41 PM

ya ok, Merry Christmas robertg

9. Jack - Dec 31, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Pete Carroll is a great coach and I hate USC. Mike Garrett was fun to watch as a player and has been a good if not great administrator.

10. DocSavage - Jan 1, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Hey Kelly, you hypocrite mutt, you’ve told the media that “How many sessions of (ND) camp players must endure, depends on how long it takes players to show their commitment.”
    “Commitment”, coach?? Here you are, preaching about commitment, while the Cincy Boys who worked their butts off for you are getting SLAUGHTERED because you went off A-WHORING!! You left your own team stranded and discouraged right before the Big Bowl. They all trusted you, Kelly. YOU left them to die tonight against Florida. “Commitment”, your favorite word.
    Are you watching The Game tonight, coach? You see how your two-timing betrayal has demoralized your hard-working Cincy team?
    ND used to have a reputation for Christian ethics and ethical theory, but obviously THAT’s shot all to hell. After all, they hired you!!
    But don’t worry Kelly –just like the NCAA football teams punished Charlie in 2009 for his sins, they’re gonna Double-Punish you in 2010 for your WHORING AND TREACHERY!! No championships for YOU, baby!!

11. watch free movies online - Jan 6, 2010 at 2:27 PM

if every editor wrote like you believe me the world would be a better place! this was an excellent read expecting more!

12. Gregory Despain - Jan 9, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Hey sweet page there. keep it going.I seriously like to browse your site.Last of all have nice day

13. Manuel Vickroy - Jan 13, 2010 at 6:20 PM

We are a group of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community. Your blog provided us valuable information to work on.You have done a marvellous job!

14. Music downloads - Jan 15, 2010 at 12:57 PM

I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business.

15. billiga webbhotell - Jan 22, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Hey this is one of the best articles that I have read till date. I m really very much impressed with your work. It has been a pleasure reading this article of yours. I never knew that there was so much to learn in this subject. I am glad to have read your article.

16. Waschbeckenunterschrank - Jan 25, 2010 at 1:07 AM

Cool, there is actually some great ideas on here some of my subscribers may find this relevant, I will send them a link, many thanks.

17. MLB news - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:28 PM

We just couldnt leave your website before saying that we really enjoyed the quality information you offer to your visitors… Will be back often to check up on new stuff you post!

18. Luigi Fulk - Feb 7, 2010 at 2:16 AM

I am loving yout dating adventures.

19. Andrew Pelt - Feb 7, 2010 at 2:17 AM

I am loving yout dating adventures.

20. JONESLOLA - Mar 10, 2010 at 6:39 PM

I took my first mortgage loans when I was a teenager and that helped my relatives a lot. But, I need the secured loan once more time.