Jan 5, 2010, 4:18 PM EDT
Notre Dame and head coach Brian Kelly announced today three new assistant coaches joining the football staff. Mike Denbrock was named tight ends coach, Mike Elston was named defensive line coach, and Chuck Martin was named defensive backs coach.
“I’m excited to welcome Mike Denbrock, Mike Elston and Chuck Martin to the Notre Dame coaching staff,” Kelly released in a statement. “Because these guys have worked with me in the past, all three guys understand the importance of player development and we share the same philosophies for making our team better. They each will be valuable recruiters for us as we put together a staff that will be able to cover the country and attract some of the best talent available.”
Denbrock (as we mentioned earlier) coached tight ends and offensive tackles at Notre Dame from 2002-2004, and apparently will be looked to fill the void of recruiting the West Coast that opened when Brian Polian was not retained.
Elston rejoins Kelly at Notre Dame, after spending the past six seasons with him at both Central Michigan and Cincinnati. A former Michigan Wolverine outside linebacker, Elston will recruit the state of Florida, the same region he recruited for the Bearcats. Elston was named assistant head coach at Cincinnati in 2009, and coordinated the special teams for Cincinnati and Central Michigan. He spent time as the recruiting coordinator for the Bearcats as well.
As expected, Chuck Martin officially joins the coaching staff as defensive backs coach, leaving the head coaching position at Grand Valley State that he’s had since 2004, when he replaced Brian Kelly. Martin posted the second-best winning percentage of any active coach in NCAA, winning 74 of the 81 games he coached for the Lakers. Martin is expected to lean heavily on his Midwestern contacts, recruiting Chicago and the Midwest for the Irish.
Per an official release from the university, the remainder of the “coaching staff will be announced at a later date.”
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame 132
- Academic misconduct investigation underway at Notre Dame 58
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season 130
- Ready or Not: Young Irish defenders making moves 82
- Kelly names Golson starting quarterback 78
- Irish A-to-Z: Max Redfield 56
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame (132)
- Kelly addresses academic investigation (131)
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season (130)
- Phillip Daniels feels confident son DaVaris will be cleared (95)
- Ready or Not: Young Irish defenders making moves (82)