Carroll considering Seahawks job

Jan 8, 2010, 4:07 PM EST

Our friends over at PFT and CFT have written about the news that Pete Carroll is considering an offer from the Seahawks to take over as head coach as well as have full control of football operations.

With just under a month to go before National Signing Day, news that Carroll is looking around has to be reverberating across the college football world at a rapid pace. It’d be cynical to think that this move is just because Carroll smells the NCAA investigators that are hot on the trail of his program. While I think that the bomb will eventually drop on Troy’s crown jewel, I know for certain that Carroll has always been willing to consider the right offer from the right team at the right time if the NFL came calling.

With full control from the Seahawks, a beautiful West Coast city, and an outstanding owner, this is the perfect offer. I expect Pete to come out shortly to either put this to bed or to make a shocking announcement that he’s leaving Southern Cal for a multi-million dollar deal to take over the Seahawks.

If that’s the case, consider it open season on ALL the Trojan recruits, many of whom considered Notre Dame before choosing the Trojans.

A quick look at the 14 recruits committed shows quite a few Irish targets, including wide receiver Kyle Prater. This could also flip the switch on the Seantrel Henderson and Dietrich Riley sweepstakes, which has to be considered good news for the Irish.

Of the Trojan commitments, DB Dion Bailey, OL Giovanni Di Poalo, and five-star athlete Robert Woods all had offers from the Irish, and a few more like quarterback Jesse Scroggins could be targets of a Kelly-led regime.

For Trojan fans, this has to be a doomsday scenario. While many thought the program would skate by the immobile NCAA, the shock of losing Carroll after their first disappointing season in ages could tilt the power back in the seesaw rivalry for the Jeweled Shillelagh.

1. mef811 - Jan 8, 2010 at 6:38 PM

How true is this? WOW If this is the case then I guess the pressure cooker robertg and staff put these guys in must be gettin pretty warm HUH?

2. mef811 - Jan 8, 2010 at 6:41 PM

and oh yea… LOVIN THIS!!! I’d rather beat them with the cheater, but watching this if it happens will be a good consolation prize

3. irishfanintx - Jan 8, 2010 at 6:46 PM

SOT, where are you when I need you? What’s the news from the West Coast on this??? I personally hope that Carroll stays put and continues to coach the Trojans.

4. ugetwutuask4 - Jan 8, 2010 at 7:02 PM

I hope this doesn’t make ROBERTG a credible source!

5. sharkey - Jan 8, 2010 at 8:06 PM

To all cheaters, and dishonest officials of college sports – FEAR THE G!!!
    Truth, Justice and the American Way!

6. TLNDMA - Jan 9, 2010 at 8:38 AM

ESPN says it’s a done deal. Lots of recruits scrambling now. This could be huge for ND recruiting. Keith your next month just got way more interesting.

7. irishfanintx - Jan 9, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Rumor mill has Riley as the front runner for the position. Sure would like to hear from somebody that has their finger on the pulse of Trojan football. SOT, are you out there man? Can you shed some insight on Carroll leaving and speculation on who the best replacement will be?

8. Jan - Jan 9, 2010 at 10:50 AM

I hear that Ty Willingham is available. Perfect fit for the USC fans that criticized ND for not giving him a fair chance to suceed with the Irish…….

9. mef811 - Jan 9, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Christmas in January and It’s a white one…OH so beautiful! “No sensible person would think of attributing this unevenness, this inequality, and this diversity to blind chance or pure accident”…It’s called karma and it’s very clear as you sow so shall you reap!

10. Jan - Jan 9, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Didn’t Pete Carroll indicate or at least imply to current USC players and recruits that he’d be at USC next year? Does this earn him the esteemed title of “THE LIAR” as formerly laid upon Coach Kelly?

11. TLNDMA - Jan 9, 2010 at 4:00 PM

No with an asterisk. It was matter of national security, he was defending Troy. Thanks for asking.

12. Keith Arnold - Jan 9, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Mr. Johnson, Please post under a new handle.
    Thanks,
    The Management

13. StephenOfTroy - Jan 9, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Relax, irishfan, I’m here.
    I was just busy watching the battle of USC quarterbacks in a wild card playoff game. You know, 11 USC QB’s have started playoff games. That’s more than any other school.
    Now that Keith Arnold posts about USC I can just come here for one-stop shopping. We Trojans know that we’re in your heads. Now you can’t stop writing about us, either?
    Oh, and it’s lovely that you think any recruit who chose USC would somehow decide to go to Notre Dame. That’s a laugh.
    Pete Carroll is a good coach. Every off-season, pro teams come after him. He interviewed for the Redskins on a parked plane in Costa Rica a couple of years ago. Stanford’s Jim Harbaugh told everyone Pete was leaving after the 2006 season, I believe. Pete turned down the 49ers, as well. I’m glad he did, not just because I like Pete, but because I like Mike Singletary, who did such a fine job at middle linebacker for my beloved Bears.
    It’s nothing but an interview and some intrigue at this point. All we know for sure is that Seattle wants Pete. We don’t know if Pete wants Seattle. Nice problem to have, though. I don’t begrudge him the chance to do whatever he likes. He has been great for college football in general and for USC in particular. Pete may decide to go back to the pros, and if he does, we will miss him but we will FIGHT ON.
    And, no, Team Mom, Pete never said anything to his players, so far as it has been reported, to the effect that he would be coaching at USC next year. So you can keep Brian “Promise Keeper” Kelly alone on his pedestal of Notre Dame moral highhandedness.
    Now I have to get back to trying to avoid service of process from Robert G. I don’t want to go bankrupt until after I see Avatar again in 3-D. At $13 a ticket, I’m checking under the couch cushions for pocket change.
    FIGHT ON!

14. TLNDMA - Jan 9, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Kyle Prater returning to Chicago instead of going to L.A. to start his classes, due to “his being confused by the Carroll situation”, tells you all you need to know. Of course he was mislead by Carroll. Only a fool would think otherwise.
    The contracts these coaches sign mean nothing. They all have buyout clauses, and the coaches jump at the first better$$ opurtunity. For players to act shocked and hurt at this point is almost being naive.
    When picking a school,one question each player should ask himself is, “if this coach leaves will I still be happy here?”. The coaches afterall are salesmen when recruiting, buyer beware.

15. TLNDMA - Jan 9, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Is it arrogant to point out your own spelling error? (oppurtunity)

16. kejji - Jan 10, 2010 at 2:41 AM

When you are as successful as Coach Carroll has been over the last decade, it’s only a matter of time until someone offers the kitchen sink…hard to turn down the offer reportedly coming out of Seattle.
    Frankly I’m surprised that he stayed as long as he has.
    Don’t start to salivate too soon, USC may have a few decommits if he does leave..but this team will be fine on the football field and continue to be highly competitive.
    In fact in many ways the school is doing better than ever.
    This from the Daily Beast blog concerning the 15 hottest schools to attend..USC being the #1 school.
    “Stanford. Duke. Northwestern. These are just some of the schools that counselors report USC will soon surpass as one of the most sought-after campuses in the country. Rachel Petrella, a counselor at California’s La Jolla Country Day School, said she once saw 40 percent of her private-school students put USC on their list-as a backup. Now she says, it’s a first choice school for most of them. “USC has undergone an extraordinary makeover in the past decade,” Petrella says. It’s matriculating a completely different caliber of student that it once was. “Counselors like Petrella report USC does a terrific job showcasing it’s academic assets, particularly the honor science college and the access to it’s high-tech research facilities. At the same time it’s financial aid is one of the most generous nationwide–add in a winning athletics program–Trojan football has consistently ranked in the top 5 nationwide in recent years–and applications to the school has risen about 35 percent since 2000″.*************************
    So for all you who say USC cheats or misleads or out-and-out pays their student athletes, that’s just laughable…otherwise they wouldn’t have the top notch reputation that they have earned.

17. TLNDMA - Jan 10, 2010 at 7:24 AM

Mayo, Bush, McKnight, laughable?

18. Jake - Jan 10, 2010 at 8:17 AM

Boy, thanks for the recruiting speech and guided tour.
    I did find the La Jolla reference brought back old memories. I was born and raised in San Diego and am well aware of the “exclusiveness” of La Jolla. I, being from working class folks, had to endure my high school years at San Diego High. Back in those days SDHS was the area’s football powerhouse and used La Jolla High as a door mat every year. I remember a article in the local paper that stated that SDHS and it’s “thugs of mixed races” (Still remember that quote) were not welcome in La Jolla and they would only play on a neutral field. They got their butts kicked anyway.
    Somehow in all the years I sense things have not changed that much.

19. TLNDMA - Jan 10, 2010 at 8:37 AM

Jackson Jeffcoat,on ESPN.com, “he told all of us that he was going to stay”. Where have I heard that before?

20. Jan - Jan 10, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Liar, liar, pants on fire…
    As you clearly stated above, every recruit should ask himself if he’d be happy at a selected school if (when) the coach(es) were to leave. I believe that these top notch players are smart enough and get plenty of advise from their HS coaches & parents to understand that.
    It works both ways. How many players transfer for a better opportunity when it becomes clear that they’re not getting as much playing time as they expected, don’t feel a good fit on campus, personal reasons, etc? For that matter, how many non-athlete students transfer for a better fit? These are 18 or 19 year olds.

21. kejji - Jan 10, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Yes laughable…In the case of Reggie Bush, how is the University supposed to monitor the actions of a students greedy parents? His mother and step father supposedly took money and benefits when they were hundreds of miles away from the school. It was not an institutional violation and USC received no competitive advantage.
    McKnight was accused of driving a vehicle around that he didn’t own…wow.
    Mayo broke the rules and the school paid the price..it happens.
    The Notre Dame football program was put on probation for several years and lost several scholarships in the late 90’s because of players taking cash and benefits..did Notre Dame cheat? or mislead? Did the University know this was going on? No….kids and boosters do stupid things once in awhile.
    The same with USC, they didn’t realize this was happening, but they will pay a price.

22. TLNDMA - Jan 10, 2010 at 12:16 PM

If the NCAA determines that USC did get a competitive advantage, from these possible infractions, will it still be laughable? I don’t know how they are supposed to monitor these kids, but they are supposed to. When kids and boosters do stupid things, the school often pays the price.
    The NCAA calls it institutional control. They expect the schools to police themselves. Notre Dame paid the price for failing to do so. USC basketball has also. There are investigations underway of SC football. If it were my team, I wouldn’t be laughing.

23. kejji - Jan 10, 2010 at 1:13 PM

TLNDMA, with all due respect, you misunderstood the ‘laughable’ comment I made..I didn’t say the situation USC finds themselves in is laughable, I said it was laughable for so many Notre Dame fans to call the University Of Southern California Cheats or purposely misleading or to think they knew about this.
    As I pointed out, it is absurd to think the University of Notre Dame knew about the NCAA violations of their players…It is just as absurd to think USC knew of these possible violations.

24. TLNDMA - Jan 10, 2010 at 1:56 PM

As a college football fan I hope you are correct. I’m sure part of every NCAA investigation is to see who knew and what kind of controls are in place, to police the players and boosters.
    If you read the LA Times piece on the McKnight issue, the implication was that Carroll walked right by as McKnight got into the driver’s seat of the suv. Maybe he didn’t notice.

25. kejji - Jan 10, 2010 at 1:57 PM

I agree with your snootiness (is that a word?) assessment of La Jolla, What is interesting is that this ‘recruitment quote’ as you put it, is not from USC, but from a non-biased source that really shows how outside people..as well as the most important people, the potential students themselves feel about the Academic qualifications of USC.