Carroll considering Seahawks job

Jan 8, 2010, 4:07 PM EDT

Our friends over at PFT and CFT have written about the news that Pete Carroll is considering an offer from the Seahawks to take over as head coach as well as have full control of football operations.

With just under a month to go before National Signing Day, news that Carroll is looking around has to be reverberating across the college football world at a rapid pace. It’d be cynical to think that this move is just because Carroll smells the NCAA investigators that are hot on the trail of his program. While I think that the bomb will eventually drop on Troy’s crown jewel, I know for certain that Carroll has always been willing to consider the right offer from the right team at the right time if the NFL came calling.

With full control from the Seahawks, a beautiful West Coast city, and an outstanding owner, this is the perfect offer. I expect Pete to come out shortly to either put this to bed or to make a shocking announcement that he’s leaving Southern Cal for a multi-million dollar deal to take over the Seahawks.

If that’s the case, consider it open season on ALL the Trojan recruits, many of whom considered Notre Dame before choosing the Trojans.

A quick look at the 14 recruits committed shows quite a few Irish targets, including wide receiver Kyle Prater. This could also flip the switch on the Seantrel Henderson and Dietrich Riley sweepstakes, which has to be considered good news for the Irish.

Of the Trojan commitments, DB Dion Bailey, OL Giovanni Di Poalo, and five-star athlete Robert Woods all had offers from the Irish, and a few more like quarterback Jesse Scroggins could be targets of a Kelly-led regime.

For Trojan fans, this has to be a doomsday scenario. While many thought the program would skate by the immobile NCAA, the shock of losing Carroll after their first disappointing season in ages could tilt the power back in the seesaw rivalry for the Jeweled Shillelagh.

1. ugetwutuask4 - Jan 10, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Yeah fine, well, and dandy, nice, way to go, BUT they are not on the same level of the DUKES/ND’S/NWESTERN’S/STANFORDS/IVY LEAGUES/ETC. PERIOD. Put two graduates in a job interview one from the afformentioned UNIVERSITITES and one from LA JOLA and I gaurantee you the one from la jola is going home w/out a J.O.B.!

2. Jake - Jan 10, 2010 at 6:25 PM

When I was in High School I wanted to attend USC as badly as I ever wanted anything. (Well almost.) Unfortunately, I didn’t attend a private school in La Jolla as did the kids in your example. Most of my group settled for S.D. State (no offense to the Aztecs) as attending USC without a full scholarship was about as possible as well attending Notre Dame. I should point out I didn’t excel to USC’s academic standards at that time so a scholarship was not happening.. I preferred pursuing cheerleaders rather than educational goals. (I must admit it wasn’t a bad second choice)
    Both offer a super quality education and great traditions. However, both come with a price the average Joe simply cannot afford. The kids at La Jolla County Day School don’t have that problem.
    So I like many, are fans by tradition, my Grandfather Kelly (no kidding) bled Irish green. I, out of respect for my him, will continue to do the same.

3. grandpashyena - Jan 10, 2010 at 6:30 PM

That’s not the way it works in the real world all the time. Poeple get jobs for all sorts of reasons. Personal ties, school, individual interview skills, experience through internships, etc. The graduates of the schools you mention don’t automatically beat out every other interviewee.

4. Jake - Jan 10, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Hate to disagree but the folks from La Jolla won’t be applying for any jobs. Either they own the company or their family does.

5. ugetwutuask4 - Jan 10, 2010 at 11:28 PM

O.K. my bad grandpasheyna but you must admit that when you compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges if you have a joc from SC and one from the universities I mentioned previousely I bet 95% of the time the student athelete from ND, DUKE, NORTHWESTERN, STANFORD end up more successful in careers other than athletics or jobs pertaining to athletics than the jocs that get a simple degree in Phys Ed. because they thought their athleticism would carry them along for the rest of their lives and all the coaches preached day in and day out was how great they were in football and that they would gaurantee them an entrance to the NFL through their university.

6. Jan - Jan 11, 2010 at 9:49 AM

It’s nice to see ESPN news reporting that USC’s OC and linebacker coach will be serving in the same respective positions for the Hawks. Seems like Pete Carroll’s interest in the HC role is more than “interview and intrigue”. I (and more importantly, perhaps verbally commited USC recruits & parents) wonder how many other members of the USC coaching staff are an unknown at this point.
    Also nice to see that Coach Riley at Oregon State (a suggested replacement for Carroll) signed a contract extension with OSU. Time continues ticking away to signing day for all programs and all recruits……

7. ugetwutuask4 - Jan 11, 2010 at 10:50 AM

So that’s why robertg hasn’t been posting as many bullit points as usual. He’s out tackling these corrupt organizations in the court room. Hopefully now he can go after corrupt SEC officiating and keep busy until spring time and off of these post blogs.

8. grandpashyena - Jan 11, 2010 at 12:11 PM

In a general scope I agree with you. A degree in a real discipline from a top rated university tends to get more jobs though I hate to put a number on it. Many of the jock types make great connections and a lot end up in sales and do well. Other get a real degree and live in states that the schools graduates looks out for other graduates. I live in Texas and anyone with an A&M class ring gets in the door with other Aggies. Just the way it is. However, all thing being level, anyone with any brains would rather have a degree from an esteemed university like ND than a PE degree from podunk U.

9. seo - Jan 14, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Will someone please recommend a good website to find accomodation in Spain. Should I be using the big rental companies or is there an cheaper way to rent from the owners direct? Thanks, Joe

10. seo - Jan 14, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Will someone please recommend a good website to find somewhere reasonable in Spain. Should I look on the well known websites or is there an cheaper method to organise with the owners directly? Cheers, Alison

11. college degree quotes - Jan 18, 2010 at 3:56 PM

I am a parent of a highschool girl. She is very interested in software engineering. I am considering sending her to get a college-degree in engineering but I am aftraid it does not suit a girl.

12. seo forum - Jan 20, 2010 at 12:59 PM

I should harmonise with your point. You stated it down so well. I just bookmarked your post. thanks

13. garden storage sheds - Feb 1, 2010 at 5:35 PM

I don’t sometimes comment on blog posts but I had to drop by and tell you thank you for posting this, I fully agree and with some luck people will understand where you are comin from.

14. Rosaria Defont - Feb 6, 2010 at 5:04 AM

To market in full terms of high-performance rather than price, and in order to specialise accordingly, you require to follow the classical format of the 4 Ps marketing plan. That is, Price, Product, Place and Promotion evidently you recognise the important properties of the product, and the price, but for place you should think nearly the type of mass who are willing to pay over 4x price of competing product whereas the commercial option may be sold where emphasis is on cost, your product will be suited to places/distributors where the customers will be willing to pay for high-performance. Thank you for this article! I’ve just watched a truly perfect source about panda marketing Examine it!

15. Edwin Batton - Feb 17, 2010 at 5:38 PM

I actually liked the swimwear installment, and I don’t suppose it would’ve fit Kuroko’s personality if she worn a non-skimpy swimsuit. I also noticed the merchandise positioning to be funny at first, not essential.