Jan 8, 2010, 4:07 PM EDT
With just under a month to go before National Signing Day, news that Carroll is looking around has to be reverberating across the college football world at a rapid pace. It’d be cynical to think that this move is just because Carroll smells the NCAA investigators that are hot on the trail of his program. While I think that the bomb will eventually drop on Troy’s crown jewel, I know for certain that Carroll has always been willing to consider the right offer from the right team at the right time if the NFL came calling.
With full control from the Seahawks, a beautiful West Coast city, and an outstanding owner, this is the perfect offer. I expect Pete to come out shortly to either put this to bed or to make a shocking announcement that he’s leaving Southern Cal for a multi-million dollar deal to take over the Seahawks.
If that’s the case, consider it open season on ALL the Trojan recruits, many of whom considered Notre Dame before choosing the Trojans.
A quick look at the 14 recruits committed shows quite a few Irish targets, including wide receiver Kyle Prater. This could also flip the switch on the Seantrel Henderson and Dietrich Riley sweepstakes, which has to be considered good news for the Irish.
Of the Trojan commitments, DB Dion Bailey, OL Giovanni Di Poalo, and five-star athlete Robert Woods all had offers from the Irish, and a few more like quarterback Jesse Scroggins could be targets of a Kelly-led regime.
For Trojan fans, this has to be a doomsday scenario. While many thought the program would skate by the immobile NCAA, the shock of losing Carroll after their first disappointing season in ages could tilt the power back in the seesaw rivalry for the Jeweled Shillelagh.
- Five things we learned: Gold 36, Blue 34 53
- Pregame Six Pack: Finishing spring practice strong 3
- Even without guarantee, Kelly expects Golson to return next season 107
- Grace opens up about the long road back 44
- Irish QB battle with (understandably) head into fall camp 12
- In a time of change, Denbrock a constant 35
- RCS New Jersey: Two standing out for Rene
- RCS New Jersey: Johnson eyeing the Big Ten
- RCS New Jersey: Guarantano recruiting for Vols
- RCS New Jersey: Hawkins will cut list soon
- RCS New Jersey: Distance not a factor for Robinson
- RCS New Jersey: Gary recaps visits
- RCS New Jersey: Walker solid with Buckeyes