Meyer takes aim at Hendrix

Jan 9, 2010, 5:38 PM EST

While many Irish fans had their eyes on the Army All-American game, the school’s prized quarterback commitment was in Florida being wooed by Notre Dame recruiting archrival Urban Meyer.

Quarterback Andrew Hendrix is taking an official visit to Gainesville this weekend, where he’ll be visiting the Gators at the same time as prized recruit Dietrich Riley, according to Irish Sports Daily.

Hendrix, who committed to the Irish back in June, has been in communication with new Irish coach Brian Kelly as well as new offensive coordinator Charley Molnar. His commitment initial wavered with the news of Weis’ ouster, but Hendrix reportedly was comfortable with his committed status to the Irish, although not comfortable enough to turn down the late push by the Gators. Florida already has a commitment out of in-state quarterback Trey Burton, who committed to the Gators back in July of 2008.

The news of Hendrix visiting Florida less than a month before Signing Day has to be a punch to the gut for Irish fans. Urban Meyer and staff seem to do their best work with Notre Dame recruits in the days prior to the first Wednesday in February.

For Hendrix, the decision is a little baffling. The Cincinnati native is a mobile runner with a strong arm, seemingly a perfect fit for Kelly’s prolific passing offense. Yet Meyer’s recruiting prowess — even as his character has come more and more into question — is matched by few others (and one may be headed to the NFL in the next day or two).

It’ll be an interesting next 25 days…

1. TLNDMA - Jan 9, 2010 at 7:56 PM

As we worry whose talking to our verbals, I’m left to wonder who Brian Kelly and his staff are talking to. The man seems a little too sharp, to not have a plan B and C. Plan B and C may even be better plans. This is going to be interesting.
    As far as Hendrix, I hope it’s cold in Fla. this weekend.

2. Jan - Jan 10, 2010 at 12:11 AM

I’m delighted that our coaches are approaching targeted recruits regardless of their verbal status; and in fairness have to accept that other coaches will do the same. In the end, each individual will need to choose a university and program that seems the best fit for them – it’s what I’d want for my sons.
    Especially given the news out of CA this weekend, everyone should be clear that individual coaches will come and go. A wise recruit will select the program & university that offers the best fit. I’m confident that ND has a strong offering and we will get our fair share of targeted recruits.
    It will be a very interesting upcoming few weeks.

3. Paul - Jan 10, 2010 at 4:57 AM

Punch in the gut? Kelly doesn’t really seem to want the kid, and the kid seems to know it. When Kelly was at Cincinnati, he offered local QB Luke Massa, not local QB Andrew Hendrix. If Hendrix defects, one would have to assume Kelly would offer Massa to ND, and get him, and be happier than if he’d kept Hendrix.
    As for Meyer, he’s human waste. But the kids stupid enough to buy what he’s selling even after it’s become abundantly clear to anyone that he probably won’t coach that team again, deserve their fate, just as any kids still going to USC deserve their fate. And if Meyer actually DOES come back to coach next year or the year after, here’s hoping he drops dead on the field. It would be a gain for the human race.

4. Paul - Jan 10, 2010 at 4:57 AM

5. ugetwutuask4 - Jan 10, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Yo pauly be easy on URBAN it’s not that seriouse dude. I bleed, breathe, eat, IRISH football but not to that extent. That being said I will say this, if COACH K doesn’t get going and closing in on guys like Kyle Prater, Dietrich Riley, Matt James, and Seantrel Henderson, although he didn’t impress me with all that hype he carries, it will be a long 2011 season. GO IRISH!!!

6. cincinnatifan - Jan 10, 2010 at 6:27 PM

You guys got the story wrong. Hendrix was offered way before Massa. It listed here in the paper all his offers. I think there were more than twenty. I think Hendrix must know something we don’t. He is a smart kid. I am sure he and his family got a hold on things. As a cincy fan, maybe the kid just wanted to play for ND if Charlie and Coach Powless were there.

7. john - Jan 10, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Meyer is “human waste” for recruiting a kid? His character is “in question” b/c he’s doing his job? Pauly, you cut the profile of the average Irish fan: entitled, ignorant, spoiled, petulant and inarticulate. Can’t handle Urban out-recruiting you? Then hire a coach who doesn’t wear plus-sized jeans for a change and you might just suck on a tit that’s not located back by the anus.
    Go Gators.
    John

8. john - Jan 10, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Go Gators.
    John

9. ugetwutuask4 - Jan 10, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Hey Johnny Boy not all IRISH fans are the same just like not all gator fans are dumb and ignorant enough to think Urb will be back by the beginning of the following college football year to coach all these players that he’s going around telling he’ll be there to coach them this coming year. Urb can’t handle losing just like carroll can’t handle ncaa infractions that’s why he’s headed for the Seahawks and Urbs headed to the CARDIOLOGIST. Pressure can build a diamond but it also busts pipes. GO IRISH!!!

10. irishfanintx - Jan 11, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Very articulate and intleigent response, John.

11. Garmin 305 reviews - Jan 13, 2010 at 4:13 AM

Wow this was probably one of the best articles I have go over on the topic so far. I do not have any idea where you get all your information but up! I am gunna send a few folks on over to take a look at this post. Fantastic, totally awesome.

12. Carroll Merriman - Jan 29, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Oh my god you will not belief this. Our silly puppy simply farted on my ankle!? I mean what’s the matter with this!? I feed that thing and I get this in exchange. I even now will not belief that. Anyways, you have got a few important info there in your post. I knew Yahoo are going to bring me to a few interesting stuff today :). Ok must hunt that pet now! Have a nice time you all!