Jimmy Clausen and… (wait for it) Pete Carroll?

Jan 12, 2010, 7:30 AM EDT

It’s long on conjecture and short on fact, but you’ve got to think that the new head coach of the Seattle Seahawks could be making a run at a quarterback he got to know very well over the past few years.

After going 5-11 last season, Seattle will draft sixth in the 2010 draft. They’ll likely have a shot at Jimmy Clausen after St. Louis most likely will take Ndamukong Suh number one, Detroit passes on a QB after taking Matthew Stafford, Tampa Bay does the same after getting Josh Freeman last year, and Washington checks under the hood of both Clausen and Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford. With former ND personnel man Vinny Cerrato out in Washington and Mike Shanahan in, there will be no Irish bias in the Redskins’ war room, but the personal workouts of Bradford and Clausen will likely go a long way towards Shanahan deciding if he needs to give up on Jason Campbell as the Redskins’ future quarterback and make a move towards the future. Kansas City already has Matt Cassel tied up as their quarterback, otherwise you’d expect Charlie Weis to push Todd Haley to go get Jimmy Clausen at number five.

Even if Clausen slides past Seattle at six, they’re back in the middle of the first round picking 14th, thanks to a draft day trade last year with the Broncos. I’ll leave the mock drafting for guys like Mel Kiper and Todd McShay, but it’s no secret that Pete Carroll likes Jimmy Clausen’s skill set and ability to throw the football. With Matt Hasselbeck not getting any younger and struggling to stay healthy, it might be the perfect time for the Seahawks to pluck a quarterback.

Talk about a weird sight for both Irish and Trojan fans, Jimmy Clausen and Pete Carroll together on the same team.

1. grandpashyena - Jan 12, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Money heals all wounds, but would robertg say.

2. cash for gold - Jan 13, 2010 at 9:06 AM

WARNING: My friend just got scammed by one of those tv gold companies. Don’t use them they are a rip off!

3. StephenOfTroy - Jan 13, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Say it ain’t so! First I had to see Jeff Fisher draft Vince Young (and then, just for kicks, throw LenDale White in there). Now you’re telling me that Pete is going to draft The Shiner? I can’t see that happening. Clausen should go to Tampa Bay or Cleveland, someplace where I’ll never have to watch him play. The guy they have taking snaps in Cleveland sure isn’t winning…
    I find it amusing that you think KC would rather have Matt Cassell, who never started a game during his entire career with USC, than Jimmy Clausen. I hope you’re right, as I like what Cassell has done with his NFL opportunities, but I find it an odd concept that a backup QB would be preferred over the guy who came to college as the No. 1 recruit, promising 4 national championships…before losing every other game he played. Wait maybe that’s the key right there.
    I don’t think Hasselbeck is done. He’s still got great ability. He certainly needs better coaching and better teammates. But I am more interested to see what Pete Carroll will do with the defense (and now he’s back with Lofa Tatupu!) than to find out what he does with the QB.

4. seo - Jan 15, 2010 at 4:23 AM

Great Read. I’ll look forward to your next piece

5. Ollie Richner - Feb 18, 2010 at 11:36 PM

I saw your script and want to create something similar for the Swedish micro blog. Can I use your script as a start and state that the original script comes from you with a link to your blogpost? I’m still learning English, sorry if I have poor grammar.

6. Abdul Brunelle - Feb 19, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Thanks for the always useful tips.

7. Wade Torregrossa - Feb 20, 2010 at 12:29 AM

Hey there, I didn’t know where to contact you but your web design was messed up on firefox and internet explorer. Anyways, i just suscribd to your rss.