Jan 12, 2010, 5:17 PM EDT
The Notre Dame athletic department made Paul Longo’s hiring official today, naming him the director of football strength and conditioning while naming Jacob Flint and Lorenzo Guess assistant directors of strength and conditioning.
This from Kelly’s official statement:
“Paul Longo has been an integral part of the success we’ve experienced
over the last six seasons. He has done an incredible job
of not only developing our players and getting them ready to play
championship football in our program, but also helping prepare them for
the NFL. Paul joins our offensive and defensive coordinators as leaders
of this program. He cuts across the traditional strength and
conditioning coach mold because he builds relationships with all
players and coaches and serves as a leader, not just in the weight
room, but throughout the program. Paul is a critical addition to our
program because, arguably, no coach will have more contact with our
players throughout the whole year than our strength and conditioning
coach. Based on his track record and what I have personally witnessed,
I can’t wait to see how he’ll make our team better moving forward.”
Flint and Guess will also come over from Cincinnati, with Guess transitioning back to strength and conditioning after spending last season coaching tight ends for the Bearcats. Guess was a two-sport athlete at Michigan State, earning four letters with the Spartan football team and two with the basketball squad. Flint played football under Kelly at Central Michigan, going from a walk-on to a scholarship earner and is a competitive bodybuilder in his spare time, ranking 25th nationally in his weight bracket in USA weightlifting events.
It’s tough to comment intelligently on strength staff additions, but I really like the fact that all three additions were scholarship football players and that they’ll be able to bring a personal knowledge of football played at an elite level to the weight room. I think that blends well with the training philosophies of both Longo and Kelly.
As we mentioned earlier, get ready for Longo Beach and the Freakazoid Club.
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame 132
- Academic misconduct investigation underway at Notre Dame 58
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season 130
- Ready or Not: Young Irish defenders making moves 82
- Kelly names Golson starting quarterback 78
- Irish A-to-Z: Max Redfield 56
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame (132)
- Kelly addresses academic investigation (131)
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season (130)
- Phillip Daniels feels confident son DaVaris will be cleared (95)
- Ready or Not: Young Irish defenders making moves (82)