Jan 13, 2010, 1:31 AM EST
It’s was a long day covering the roller-coaster ride that USC went on yesterday over at CFT. But the shocking hire of Lane Kiffin away from Tennessee certainly has some Irish implications.
You can’t help but be impressed by Mike Garrett’s ability to pull a rabbit from a hat, although Kiffin is far from a sure bet.
Both the Trojans and the Irish replaced their head coaches after disappointing seasons. Here are some applicable bullet-points for their replacements.
Notre Dame replacement:
* National Coach of the Year
* Left previous job after three seasons
* Career .748 winning percentage (all levels)
* 19 years of head coaching experience (all levels)
* Undefeated in 2009
Southern Cal replacement:
* Youngest coach in Major college football
* Left previous job after one season
* Career .363 winning percentage (all levels)
* 3 years of head coaching experience (all levels)
* 7-6 in 2009
Kiffin brought with him an impressive supporting staff, part of the reason why he’s been able to land on his feet in the collegiate ranks after being dismissed 20 games into his NFL coaching career.
But for the first time since the 1990s, the Irish will be able to claim a head-coaching advantage in the greatest intersectional rivalry in college sports.
- Five things we learned: Louisville 31, Notre Dame 28 32
- Pregame Six Pack: Battling Louisville in Senior sendoff 40
- After unexplainable loss, can Irish rally again? 94
- And in that corner… The Louisville Cardinal 52
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Northwestern 100
- Five things we learned: Northwestern 43, Notre Dame 40 233