Jan 28, 2010, 6:06 PM EST
A few quick updates on the recruiting front:
* As expected, the Irish officially lost running back Giovanni Bernard, who backed out of his commitment to Notre Dame last week before officially visiting North Carolina last weekend. Bernard announced his intent to sign with the Tarheels today, which probably explains Brian Kelly’s offer to Stanford commit Brandon Bourbon.
Bernard hails from St. Thomas Aquinas high school, a place that Charlie Weis turned into a recruiting pipeline, and was highly touted, though he didn’t look to find much immediate playing time for the Irish, with much of the backfield returning, and spent much of his senior season on the sidelines injured.
* The Irish are bringing in another official visitor this weekend, a recruit that’s only offer is from William & Mary.
Defensive end Bruce Heggie is tripping to Notre Dame this weekend, and hopes to walk away with a scholarship offer.
This from the Orlando Sentinel:
“Last week FAMU backed out of their offer and said there wasn’t going to be an official visit this weekend,” Heggie said. “There was William & Mary, but other than that there weren’t really anymore options.”
Then came the phone call. Notre Dame.
Yep, that’s what Heggie thought, too. He probably had to pinch himself.
“It was definitely surprising,” he said. “Notre Dame is an epic school.
I certainly didn’t see this coming. Especially after some of the other
schools said they’d recruit me and then backed out of it.”
Notre Dame running backs coach and recruiting coordinator Tim Hinton, who followed coach Brian Kelly from Cincinnati, and Mike Elston wanted to come visit. In Mount Dora.
“Coach Hinton was working with me and he really liked me when he was at
Cincinnati, but then they crunched their numbers and they didn’t have
anything.” Heggie said. “But when they made the transition over to
Notre Dame, coach Hinton made a point to bring my name up. He
remembered me, remembered that they had liked my film and decided to
give me a call.”
It’s one thing to take an official visit, its another thing to get offered a scholarship, but this certainly profiles as a diamond DEEP in the rough.
- It’s official: Golson returns to Notre Dame 59
- Bob Diaco accepts the UConn head coaching job 117
- Stay or go? Stephon Tuitt has a big decision to make 40
- It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH) 96
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Stanford 79
- Five things we learned: Stanford 27, Notre Dame 20 140