Feb 1, 2010, 12:43 PM EDT
Colorado native Danny Spond chose the Irish over TCU, officially committing to play for head coach Brian Kelly and the Fighting Irish after visiting this weekend.
“I had a feeling it would be here, but I wanted to see it and know for sure,” Spond told IrishSportsDaily.com. “Playing for Notre Dame is a true honor. I look forward to being a part of the Notre Dame tradition. It’s my next home.”
With two days to go, the Irish have done a nice job filling their recruiting class up, focusing on players that fit a mold that Brian Kelly looks for in recruiting. Like Derek Roback, Spond was a high school quarterback, but projects more as an athlete, and where he’ll play is still up in the air.
“Coach said he will give me an opportunity to play wherever, but at the same time I will play wherever the team needs me and I trust the coaching staff 100 percent to put me in the best position for success,” Spond said.
The 6-foot-3, 230-pounder has a great frame and projects highly according to the recruiting services. It’s tough to argue with adding a player like Spond to the recruiting class and Kelly and staff did a great job building a relationship quickly.
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Florida State 109
- Five things we learned: Florida State 31, Notre Dame 27 159
- Pregame Six Pack: Showdown with the Seminoles 90
- And in that corner… The Florida State Seminoles 31
- DaVaris Daniels done at Notre Dame 71
- The good, the bad, the ugly: Notre Dame vs. North Carolina 71