Irish hit .500 on Hawaiian duo, Schwenke signs

Feb 3, 2010, 12:41 PM EST

The Irish have officially received paper work from Kona Schwenke, a 6-foot-5, 215-pound defensive end prospect out of Kahuku, Hawaii. Schwenke was committed to BYU since July, until the Irish offered, and his visit last weekend reportedly sealed the deal.

Schwenke’s size and length obviously show a frame that projects nicely, but he’ll need to add some weight before coming to his full potential.

On the flip side of that, the Irish reportedly missed out on fellow Hawaiian Jeremy Ioane, who decided to sign with Boise State, according to the Honolulu Advertiser. Ioane and Schwenke signed their letters of intent at the same signing ceremony that Manti Te’o declared to Notre Dame last year. You’ve got to think it was a tough decision, as it was reported that Ioane really enjoyed his trip to South Bend.

I would’ve liked to see the Irish get both Schwenke and Ioane, but you’ve got to feel like any of those guys are bonus signatures, with Kelly only having a week or two to convince them to fly over 4,000 miles away from home for college.

That’s 23 commitments for the Irish.

1. ugetwutuask4 - Feb 3, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Could this be a sign that ND is on Riley’s radar???

2. ugetwutuask4 - Feb 3, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Overall, all in all, at the end of the day, I like the class and I’m excited about the class. I really think we added a lot of depth at certain positions and fell just a little short in others but with 23 commits when I thought we would only have between 15 to 20 at the start of all of this is a positive sign that Coach K has the ND train rollin’ in the right direction. I really think this year 1 or 2 guys will be contributors to Irish squad and in two years 3 or 4 guys will be standouts on the team. I guess if we don’t sign anyone else that’s great news for 2011 where ND can add these last few scholarship’s to a year where Coach K has a whole year to recruit with. I’m not expecting a class filled with nothing but 4 and 5 star recruits but I’d say the same amount of 4 and 5 star guys we missed or may miss out on this year is the same amount we need to hit on next year at certain positions if you look at such losts like Martin, Ferguson, Bernard, Jones, Leuders, Barr, Hurd. Imagine that Irish roster alone not even mentioning Henderson and Riley because they haven’t signed as of yet. These are not sour grapes of mine but for Nd to have there “baseball cap” on the table as options for these kids has to bode well for ND’s future.
    Fight’n Irish!!!

3. sharkey - Feb 3, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Way better results than I expected. Hats off to Brian Kelly and crew for a job well done. Starting to get real excited about this season. GO IRISH!

4. TLNDMA - Feb 3, 2010 at 3:24 PM

I have to admit I had the same thought. Word is Riley may not chose today.
    I really liked the film I saw of Ioane. I think we’ll being hearing about him in a couple years. Maybe the blue field reminds him of the pacific.

5. aldo - Feb 3, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Or boise state is better then ND and wanted to play for a winner..

6. ugetwutuask4 - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:18 PM

No actually lets swap schedules and see if Boise State could do better than ND in facing competitive the likes of Michigan, Michigan State, Washington, Stanford, USC year in, year out Boise wouldn’t make it past the first 3 or 4 weeks without losing 3 or 4 games! Although I will give them credit for what they have done with the crappy schedule they play.

7. Rocky - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:24 PM

I am the biggest ND fan there is but I think Boise would do very well against our schedule. Do you guys think that we have a chance to land Henderson?

8. Jake - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Considering most college players will never play a down in professional football, would you rather have Notre Dame or Boise State on your business resume?
    There’s more than football in play here.

9. TLNDMA - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:46 PM

BSU is a good football team. Just having some fun.

10. OJ=USC most famous alum - Feb 3, 2010 at 5:14 PM

I don’t think ND has a shot with Henderson. With everything being printed its down to OSU and USC. At this point Henderson going to OSU instead of USC would almost make me as excited as him going to ND. I really don’t like our D line going against USC in most years but I REALLY REALLY don’t like our D line going against a USC line that includes the man child Henderson. Yikes!

11. TLNDMA - Feb 3, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Bad news.

12. mike ford - Feb 3, 2010 at 5:50 PM

If Henderson wants a HONEST way of (college football) life he will stay clear of the USC program! If he goes there it will show a-lot about his character.

13. ugetwutuask4 - Feb 3, 2010 at 6:06 PM

I like Seantrell as a prospect and would love to have him in South Bend but I believe Matt James is more ready, right now to step in right away and start at ND furthermore he carries a meaner streak to him. Be careful what you wish for with all that hype you can either get Tony Mandrich or Aaron I believe it’s two AA’s Taylor. We shall find out very shortly who got the better end of the stick. The battle between a PROVEN coach and over-rated coach is starting to get hotter and steamier by the moment. Lame Wiffin needs to be more concerned with the University of California in LOS ANGELES, who I think had just as good a class if not better. But of course all the rankings mean nothing if you can’t develop the talent.
    FIGHTN’ IRISH 4 EVER!!!

14. ugetwutuask4 - Feb 3, 2010 at 6:10 PM

15. ugetwutuask4 - Feb 3, 2010 at 6:24 PM

I would’ve rathered have seen him go to Ohio State or Minnesota of course ND to say the least, but SC! All this time Seantrell, you kept us waiting only to find out you chose Southern Crap. How much did they pay you? What car are they leasing for you? I know they put players in the NFL bbbut that was when Pete was there and you don’t play defense and it doesn’t look like Monte needs you ob that side of the ball? I know you and Prater think you can transfer after we spank you guy’s in the Crap-o-seim later this year, right?

16. martyks - Feb 3, 2010 at 6:36 PM

It doesn’t indicate anything about his character. That’s an absurd comment. Give the kid a break. USC’s problems doesn’t prove that everyone who goes there is a jerk. Don’t ask me to name one, but my point is still valid, isn’t it?

17. ugetwutuask4 - Feb 3, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Very valid it’s a joke, lighten up… I just feel as an outsider looking in he would have been in better hands with Tressell or Shannon or Meyer or Minnesota’s coach or even coach K but LANE KIFFIN. All his family preached was their son being in good hands, dependable coach with good values, proximity to home. If I’m not mistaken LANE KIFFIN IS NONE OF THOSE!

18. mike ford - Feb 3, 2010 at 6:55 PM

They musta paid him good seeing how he’s gonna be hurt by the sanctions imposed later this month.

19. Deandre Foody - Feb 20, 2010 at 3:31 AM

Nice post. Keep up the good work