Feb 17, 2010, 7:30 AM EST
In a move not entirely unexpected, both Jimmy Clausen and his agent, Gary Wichard, announced that the quarterback won’t be working out at the NFL Combine next week.
“I’m planning on doing all the interviews and, obviously, being seen by the doctors so they can see my toe, but my toe isn’t ready to go right now,” Clausen said. “I’m really excited to go down to Indianapolis next week so teams can get to know me as a person. And I think after they get to know me as a person, they’ll see the truth from what the perception is out there about me.”
It’s clear that Clausen and Wichard are taking a proactive step against people that will automatically assume that Clausen’s decision not to work out is just another diva-like move from a quarterback that’s battled that reputation since arriving in South Bend riding in a stretch Hummer limousine. But realistically, this was the only logical decision by Clausen, who is still very much on the mend after postseason foot surgery.
Rest assured, Clausen’s spot in the first round will likely be based on his individual workouts, and even if 100-percent healthy, most elite quarterbacks skip out on throwing in Indy to receivers they’ve just met and instead chose to throw to a crew of familiar receivers at a workout choreographed for success.
It’ll be interesting to hear the skeptics spin this decision into an anti-Clausen diatribe, when the reality of the situation is that the other elite quarterback in the draft, Sam Bradford, most likely will pass on the throwing portion of drills as well.
- It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH) 96
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Stanford 79
- Five things we learned: Stanford 27, Notre Dame 20 140
- Pregame Six Pack: Send off at Stanford 43
- And in that corner… The Stanford Cardinal 55
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. BYU 45
- It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH) (96)
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Stanford (79)
- Friday notes: Additions, Bowls, Coaches and Departures (70)
- Notre Dame accepts bid to play in Pinstripe Bowl (68)
- Rumors swirl as Chuck Martin looks headed for Miami (OH) head job (29)