Pro Day recap: McCarthy, Sergio, and Aldridge boost stock

Mar 23, 2010, 9:18 PM EST

With plenty of NFL teams in attendance, 14 former Irish football players strutted their stuff for potential employers.

See below for all the raw numbers from the athletes that worked out, courtesy of ND’s Sports Information Department, but here are a few thoughts…

* Looking at James Aldridge’s numbers, you can’t help but think of what might have been. James never seemed to be completely healthy since arriving on campus with a five-star rating and prep offers that match up with any recruit in the country. At 225 pounds with low 4.5 speed, and a 60-yard shuttle time that beat Golden Tate, you’ve got to feel for a kid that by all reports is a great guy.

* I wouldn’t be surprised if Sergio Brown is on an NFL roster next year. Regardless of what you say about him, Sergio made some big plays on defense and running in the 4.4s at his size and with decent cover skills could make for an intriguing developmental player. Sergio is a guy that really would’ve benefited from a redshirt year, but instead he spent his first season at ND covering punts and kickoffs. If I have a major complaint with the Weis era, its the misuse of freshman seasons by the coaching staff.

* Kyle McCarthy getting his forty time into the 4.5s should help a team that already likes K-Mac pull the trigger on him in the late rounds on next month’s draft. While his size isn’t great and he’ll never be a burner, he could definitely be a great special teams guy and situational defender.

* I feel bad for Raeshon McNeil, who had to have wanted to put up some great numbers and hope that the film from his junior season was enough to get him an invitation to a training camp. I also wish Robby Parris would’ve put together a high-4.5 / low-4.6 forty to go along with his very good agility and shuttle times. Parris strikes me as one of those guys that is probably just a great all-around athlete playing football.

COMPLETE LIST OF PRO DAY TESTING RESULTS

Only participated in 40-yard dash and position-specific drills 40-Yard
Dash: 4.56, 4.55

Raeshon McNeil
Vertical: 33″
Broad Jump: 10’1″
Bench Press: 13
40-Yard Dash: 4.61 (injured hamstring)
Pro Agility: Did not attempt
3-Cone Drill: Did not attempt
60-Yard Shuttle: Did not attempt

Eric Olsen
Only participated in position-specific drills

Robby Parris
Vertical: 38.5″
Broad Jump: 10’4″
Bench Press: Did not attempt
40-Yard Dash: 4.74, 4.69
Pro Agility: 4.30
3-Cone Drill:6.72
60-Yard Shuttle: 11.50

Morrice Richardson
Vertical: 31.5″
Broad Jump: 9’11”
Bench Press: 31
40-Yard Dash: 4.70 (injured hamstring)
Pro Agility: Did not attempt

Bench Press: 34
40-Yard Dash: 5.03
Pro Agility: 4.56
3-Cone Drill: 7.21
60-Yard Shuttle: Did not attempt

1. Dascenzo - Mar 23, 2010 at 10:27 PM

I wish Brey and Weis reversed their thoughts on freshman playing time.

2. TLNDMA - Mar 24, 2010 at 8:16 AM

In many cases Weis was forced to use freshman, due to thin numbers from the Willingham era. If Aldridge or others succeed at the next level, it will be another mark against Weis as far as developing and utilizing talent.

3. ugetwutuask4 - Mar 24, 2010 at 11:01 AM

The only thing Weis was good at was coaching QB’s from a pro-style offensive standpoint. That led to a few Super Bowls with the Pat’s, which then led to this built up brash image of what a great coach he would make, which then led to him being able to recruit a couple of 4- and 5- star recruits here and there. The only credit I can give Weis is for replenishing the depth chart with talent when the cupboard was bear. But even then I still feel any half a decent coach in this country who is offered the head coaching position at ND and takes the job would be able to do that with one good season. Not to mention all the history and allure that the coach has to sell as soon as he steps foot on campus. So the proof is already in the pudding as far as I’m concerned when it comes to Weis developing any position on the football field other than QB although I will say his intentions were good and I have no ill-will towards Weis.

4. ugetwutuask4 - Mar 24, 2010 at 12:30 PM

All those stats can’t make up for when coach can’t teach the finer points of football such as detail and fundamentals. They don’t mean a thing if coach has me here for years 4 and 5 and I’m still not a better tackler or pass protector or fundamentally sound player period!
    FIGHT’N IRISH SINCE ’79!!!

5. zach - Mar 24, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Sergio was a good special teamer, however if you watch film on him, he never and I mean never gets his around in coverage, which is man on man 101.
    Aldridge, I believe was pathetically misused by Weis.

6. zach - Mar 24, 2010 at 3:56 PM

I meant to say Sergio never gets his (head) around in coverage.

7. zach - Mar 24, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I meant to say that Sergio never gets his (head) around in coverage.

8. irishfan1123 - Mar 25, 2010 at 9:41 PM

I don’t know if Aldridge was misused my Weis. Once he injured his knee freshman year, he was never quite the same. He just kind of got lost in the depth chart with Allen and Hughes taking up the carries. I do feel bad for him though, coming in with so much promise and potential and then never getting a real opportunity to live up to it.