Apr 2, 2010, 11:12 PM EDT
Tragic news to report this evening, as Irish recruit Matt James died after a fall from a hotel balcony while on spring break in Panama City, Florida. The senior in high school from St. Xavier in Cincinnati was one of the prized recruits of Brian Kelly’s first recruiting class.
There aren’t many details right now, but WKRC-TV in Cincinnati and the South Bend Tribune are both reporting that the 6-6, 300-pound offensive tackle passed away after falling from a third-floor balcony on spring break. Various reports are saying the accident occurred around 6:30 Friday evening. James was a week shy of his 18th birthday.
James’ decision to sign with the Irish was a huge victory for Kelly and Notre Dame, especially with Seantrel Henderson deciding to sign with USC. James was slated to play at Notre Dame with his fellow St. Xavier teammate, quarterback Luke Massa. Various recruiting websites projected James to immediately compete for playing time.
There’s not much to say right now, other than this is a terrible tragedy.
Follow this link for more information as this story develops.
- Five things we learned: Gold 36, Blue 34 68
- Pregame Six Pack: Finishing spring practice strong 3
- Even without guarantee, Kelly expects Golson to return next season 107
- Grace opens up about the long road back 44
- Irish QB battle with (understandably) head into fall camp 12
- In a time of change, Denbrock a constant 35