Apr 9, 2010, 5:19 PM EDT
Who would’ve thought it: A quarterback that completed 70 percent of his passes and threw 33 touchdowns against four interceptions — two of them not his fault — would be deadly accurate passing against air.
In his audition in front of 16 NFL teams, Clausen dazzled when throwing to a collection of former teammates, making his case to be among the first picks of the NFL Draft. Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo, who owns the first pick, was the only NFL head coach in attendance, at least proving that the Rams haven’t completely settled on Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford.
Clausen threw 59 passes and completed 57 of them, only overthrowing Robby Parris on two deep routes. His toe injury limited his mobility and ability to run, but teams that are looking at Jimmy surely aren’t looking at him for his mobility.
Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell pretty much summed up the sentiments of all those watching.
“I thought he made some nice throws,” Bevell said. “He really did a good job for himself of the types of balls that he threw. He thew some deep corner routes, he threw some comebacks, it gives you an opportunity to see how the ball comes out.”
Where Jimmy ends up is still anybody’s guess, but Clausen revealed that he’ll be heading to Buffalo for a meeting with the Bills before visiting the Rams in St. Louis. Washington, who many expected to withdraw from the Clausen sweepstakes after trading for Donovan McNabb, will still come to South Bend, to work Jimmy out privately.
Wherever he ends up, it seems like Clausen has kept his head on straight.
“I could go top five, top 10, I could go in the second round, I really don’t know,” he said after the workout. “My name’s going to get called and I’m going to have a lot of fun.”
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame 132
- Academic misconduct investigation underway at Notre Dame 58
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season 130
- Ready or Not: Young Irish defenders making moves 82
- Kelly names Golson starting quarterback 78
- Irish A-to-Z: Max Redfield 56
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame (132)
- Kelly addresses academic investigation (131)
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season (130)
- Phillip Daniels feels confident son DaVaris will be cleared (95)
- Ready or Not: Young Irish defenders making moves (82)