Apr 21, 2010, 12:40 PM EDT
North Carolina safety Matthias Farley is the fourth player to verbally commit to Brian Kelly and the Fighting Irish. He did so just 24 hours after visiting campus, adding a much needed defensive back to the recruiting mix.
Recruiting guru Tom Lemming ranks Farley as the best safety in North Carolina, and Farley had offers from in-state schools North Carolina, NC State, and Duke, to go along with offers from UCLA, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Maryland among others.
While he’s coming into South Bend as a cornerback or safety, Farley’s more of a pure athlete. Last season — his first year playing organized football after a soccer career — Farley made 29 catches for 849 yards and 12 touchdowns. He also chipped in three interceptions, returning one of them for a score.
Farley’s 6-foot-1, giving him elite size as a corner if he can stick there, and more than capable size as a safety as well. He also fits perfectly into the mold of a skill athlete, something Kelly and staff have aimed to get onto campus, before developing those athletes into a specific position player. Before his career is over, it wouldn’t be surprising to see Farley on the offensive side of the ball as well.
“There is no place I’d rather be from a school standpoint and a football standpoint,” Farley told IrishSportsDaily.com.
He was recruited by defensive line coach Mike Elston as well as recruiting coordinator Chuck Martin.
- After high-profile academic mistakes, Notre Dame wisely examining new options 31
- Everett Golson transferring to Florida State 103
- KeiVarae Russell’s Return (or the greatest story we’re not talking about) 31
- Five things we’ve learned: Analyzing Everett Golson’s departure 125
- It’s official: Everett Golson will transfer (UPDATED) 171
- ESPN Report: Golson plans to transfer 18