Weekend notes: Still reeling from Freekbass

May 1, 2010, 11:13 AM EST

I took yesterday off from the blog, because I was so befuddled by the new “We Are ND” video that I couldn’t form words. Just when you think you’re out of the woods from that ridiculous video of dancing Irish tailgaters, Notre Dame has to deal with the self-inflicted gun shot wound that is Freekbass and his sidekick, who looks just like Paul Dano. I know and respect the people behind the video, truly appreciate the ideas that were behind it, but man — I don’t know how we can hide from this one.

* Moving on to even more enjoyable topics, the rumblings of conference realignment sound more and more real, and now it seems that the Big East — or at least some of their football coaches — are asking the conference to give Notre Dame an ultimatum: Get in for football or get out for your other sports.

That’s the gist of a juicy snippet from Marc Allard’s column in the Norwich Bulletin, where he noted that Randy Edsall has been asking the conference to deliver an ultimatum to the Irish to come into the football conference for the past two seasons.

“I think that’s something the powers that be are discussing in terms of the strategies that they’re looking at to be proactive rather than reactive,” Edsall said.

I wonder what Edsall would be saying if his name was hand-picked by Jack Swarbrick and not Brian Kelly to replace Charlie Weis as head coach. As much as the Big East has been good for Notre Dame’s other sports, there’s little chance something like this is going to happen, especially considering the economics of the situation.

* Jimmy Clausen’s arrival in Carolina was chronicled nicely by the AP’s Mark Cranston, who noted that Jimmy arrived in Charlotte with a 12-pack of Cactus Cooler, the favorite soda of star receiver Steve Smith. A smart move by a young quarterback who is trying to start things on the right foot after minicamp practice number one.

“I’m just trying to be one of the guys,” Clausen said. “Today was a good day, came out here and it was back to football. I had a good time, have a lot of learning to do and all the quarterbacks are helping me out. It’s going well.”

While Jimmy’s going to feel it in the wallet, landing at a team where the most experienced quarterback has started only eight NFL games couldn’t be better.

* Andy Staples, one of the very best guys covering college football for SI.com, made a great argument for thousands of college football fans to cheer, cheer for old Notre Dame.

From Staples:

If you believe eventual conference reorganization is the natural
progression of rational actors acting rationally in a free market
system, feel free to retain your current level of love or hate for the
Fighting Irish. But if you fall into one of the following categories,
you’d better begin to cheer, cheer for old Notre Dame.

• You
don’t want to see the current conference alignment reshaped in a massive
cash grab.

• Your alma mater is among the schools — hello,
Cincinnati, West Virginia, Louisville, South Florida — that stand to
lose big in the case of radical realignment.

Make no mistake,
the Big Ten can expand without Notre Dame and still make a fortune. But
if circumstances force Notre Dame to cast its lot with the league, the
resulting union would make the Big Ten so powerful that the other
conferences would be forced to grow. For his part, SEC commissioner Mike Slive essentially promised last week that his league would act to
protect its status as a premier conference. The ensuing shift would
result in an entirely new alignment of schools throughout the country.

That’s why the groups mentioned above should find the nearest
Golden Domer and give him a hug. Notre Dame can stop the most radical
realignment. In fact, that would be Notre Dame’s preference. We’ll let
Professor Swarbrick, Notre Dame class of 1976, explain why football
independence is so important to the folks in South Bend.

1. mikeford - May 1, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Change, It’s a scary thought for me and I’m sure I’m not the only one? I have faith that whatever happens… Notre Dame will forever remain Notre Dame and absolutely NOTHING could take that away! Let the money hungry, jealous sob,s force our hand…WE ARE ND…as the jingle goes.

2. Cliff - May 1, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Keith, great blog today, thanks for digging up the tidbits that are hard to find for us working folk.

3. mrrandolph - May 2, 2010 at 7:36 AM

I heard that the new NCAA president favored a nat’l playoff when he was a university president. If so, maybe forming super conferences won’t be necessary and championships will be settled on the field.

4. brendan - May 2, 2010 at 2:19 PM

It’s stuff like this that Charlie would never allow to happen. It’s still like this that will make us a more likeable program…

5. Shazamrock - May 3, 2010 at 7:12 AM

Not sure of why all the negitive press on the “We Are ND” video. Looks like a bunch of college kids having fun to me.
    To all the ND haters out there… If this video makes you sick now, just wait until they win the National Championship this year!
    You ain’t heard nothing yet!

6. Ed - May 3, 2010 at 11:43 AM

I guess I’m just too white to get it. I LOVED the video and hope they play it at games this year.
    If a recruit sees this video they should see a loyal, proud and loving fan base. Too white? PLEASE! How many whites in a rap video? What? No outrage at the lack of lilly white faces in those videos? Sure keeps all the white kids from listening in … doesn’t it?
    Recruits will see a fun, fanatical support base and the (40 year) opportunity the university presents to them. They’ll also realize that ND requires hard work on and off the field of play but offers a tremendous future of possibilities and success.
    So, you can go to USC, Alabama, Florida, Texas and get your PE (classes not necessarily included) degree or you can come to ND and be part of something special, unique and full of wonderful memories waiting to happen.
    And for those of you that dissed the cheerleaders in the video, your mama wishes you’d bring one home.
    Go ND

7. TLO - May 3, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Well, as an ND alum (90) I was initially a bit dumbfounded when I first saw the Freakbass thing. Couldn’t quite find the words. But…
    I’ve watched it 3-4 times now and it’s actually pretty catchy. I guess it depends on how you look at it. It’s never going to rank with the Victory March, the Alma Mater or any of the great traditions, but then that isn’t the point. Shazamrock actually has a point. When you understand that this was a video made for a student banquet, it’s really just all about having fun. And you know, if there is one thing we Domers can rightly be accused of at times is taking ourselves a bit too seriously.
    Alright. I’m onboard. Hit it Freakbass…

8. zach - May 3, 2010 at 5:30 PM

That video is completely ridiculous!
    I’m as white as they get…
    Can’t jump, dance, or rap, and even I know that video is a horror film.

9. mikeford - May 3, 2010 at 7:56 PM

I personally think they should start singing it in the corner of the end zone at the end of each game!!!

10. sharkey - May 3, 2010 at 8:09 PM

I hope Swarbrik can keep ND Independent as long as possible. It’s my favorite complaint from all the ND haters. Edsall is not the first to call for ultimatums, and won’t be the last. As long as ND can stay in the BCS without joining a conference, they very much should. I remember reading Swarbrick saying independence is a great part of ND’s identity that he intends to keep.Hope he is true to his word.
    I’m all for the 6-5-1 model if it gets us playing the Miami’s, FSU’s, and Penn States of the country. ND must regain some of their lost presteige. It will never happen playing Central Michigan and MAC teams. To quote Kelly: ” To be the best you have to beat the best.”
    As for the video, I was too embarrased to watch it all the way through.

11. Sgt. Moon - May 3, 2010 at 9:01 PM

TLO, you are exactly right. It’s a bunch of kids having fun who are proud of their school. Personally, I don’t see what the problem is with this video. I am about 35 years older than these kids, and while this isn’t my type of music, I think they did a pretty good job with it. Let them enjoy their college years!
    Please don’t tell me that some people are complaining that this is too white. I am willing to bet that the video was not made with the idea of excluding black kids. That’s just BS!!
    Also… No conference for ND football. It’s not needed. Stay independent!!