Fantasy Camp: Ready for my close-up

Jun 5, 2010, 4:05 PM EDT

While my friends and brother are probably sick of hearing about it, blog readers are unaware of my football throwing abilities. I’ve been known to make a preposterous statement or two, but one that I’m especially fond of making is my claim that I throw a better ball than seven percent of D-I quarterbacks.

Rationale: I’m more than willing to admit that I don’t have a canon like Dayne Crist or Ryan Mallett, but I’m pretty sure there’s a guy or two running the Wing-T at Army or Navy that I can throw better than. That kid at Michigan who doesn’t tie his shoes? Pretty sure he’d beat me in a forty if he spotted me twenty yards, but after watching him throw last year, I’m feeling pretty good about my chances.

Starting Monday, I’ll finally get a reality check. And it’ll likely be courtesy of offensive coordinator Charley Molnar and head coach Brian Kelly.

The 2010 Notre Dame Football Fantasy Camp kicks off Monday, and I’ll be one of the 35 guys throwing on the brand new uniforms of the Fighting Irish and joining the team for a week. We’ve got four days packed full of workouts, meetings, and scrimmages, all put together by Director of Football Operations Chad Klunder and culminating with our very own Blue-Gold Game in Notre Dame stadium.

Come Monday, I’ll be checking in at the Guglielmino Athletics Complex, getting screened by head trainer Jim Russ, forced to give my height and weight, and then fitted for for all my varsity issue equipment.

I’ll do my best to take you guys along with me, as I work hand-in-hand with the new coaching staff as they ply their trade making us the best football players we can be.

I’ll keep this short, I’ve got some footwork drills to work on.

1. TLNDMA - Jun 5, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Keith, can’t wait to hear what the coaches say about you guys.”We stink right now”, may be the best you can hope for.

2. TLNDMA - Jun 5, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Have a great time! Try not to pass out as you come out of the tunnel.

3. Art Vandelay - Jun 6, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Are you insane?

4. Jennifer - Jun 7, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Oh, boy. Makes’a’me’nervous!

5. Mario - Jun 7, 2010 at 8:54 AM

I’m envious! Good Luck.

6. zach - Jun 7, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Keith have a great time, the fantasy camp is actually a dream of mine, but at nearly $5,000 I don’t see much light at the end of that tunnel. Enjoy it man!

7. Shazamrock - Jun 8, 2010 at 7:53 AM

Keith,
    Let me tell it to you as clean as I can. We have 95 players here so accomplished as athletes in high school, we gave them full scholarships to the best football program in the country. NCAA regulations allow us to dress just 60 for home games, which means at least 35 scholarship players are gonna be watching the game from the stands. So if any of you has any fantasies about running out of that stadium tunnel with your gold helmet shining in the sun, you best leave them right here. Of you 15 dreamers out there maybe we’ll keep one or two. My job is to basically beat the shit out of you for the next 5 days, and whoever is still standing at the end, maybe we’ll use for our scout teams. You’ll be running the oppositions plays week in and week out. The greatest value to us is we don’t care whether you get hurt. Our first teams are going to pound on you like you’re their worst enemies. Like what you hear so far? Any of you wanna run home to momma? Now’s your chance.