USC rumblings could mean trouble for the Trojans

Jun 10, 2010, 8:40 AM EDT

As a few loyal commenters have mentioned to me, I picked a heck of a week to go to fantasy land. I traded emails last night with ESPN’s Bruce Feldman just as he was set to go to a round of TV interviews, and it’s apparent that the USC violations will be announced by the end of the week.

From what Feldman has reported, USC is facing a two-year bowl ban, vacated wins, and a significant reduction of scholarships. The Los Angeles Times reports that the number is around 20, which is a pretty heavy slap from a image conscious NCAA.

You can bet that I’ll sit down for a few hours and read the complete findings when they’re released, and I’ll have more to say in the next day or two when we’re not just guessing what’s coming down on the Trojans.

Expect an open war on California recruits to begin now, with USC never in a more vulnerable position since Pete Carroll took over the Trojan football program and turned it into a national power.

1. TLNDMA - Jun 10, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Unfortunately most of those that committed the crimes are now gone from SC. My hope is that the Downtown AC does the right thing and takes Bush’s Heisman away. Secondly, let’s see if Mike Garrett leaves Troy in disgrace as he should.

2. Art Vandelay - Jun 10, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Where is StephenofTroy when you need him?

3. TLNDMA - Jun 10, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Art, sssshhhhhhh!!

4. JPC - Jun 11, 2010 at 2:42 PM

I’m not gonna wallow is USC’s misery but the thing I do regret is that we had two opportunities to beat them and blew it. The first time was when Quinn threw a perfect leading pass to Grey,(I think is was Jonah) and rather than run under it he stood and waited for the ball and watched it sail over his head. Second play from center Bush went on a tear and ran to within the 10 yeard line.
    Last year, Clausen threw a perfect ball to McKnight who fell when he made his cut in the end zone. Watching the replay had he not fallen that ball would have hit him right in the numbers.
    Such is life. I hate that when we beat them this year that their under duress and not at their highest.
    Go Irish!

5. JPC - Jun 11, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Sorry for the typo. That should be “they’re” rather than “their” in my last sentence. For that matter, it may be that is Jonas Gray. I don’t know, whatever…………

6. Tedlinko - Jun 11, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Well it’s hard not wo wallow in USC’s misery just a little bit but I’ll try to keep it to a minimum.
    One thing I have to point out JPC is that this underscores that the Trojans’ “Best” were not legitimately earned. It’s one thing to have to recruit against the glitz and glamor of SoCal and all the allure that comes with that. But hey, that’s part of the deal. But when you also have to recuit against the condos, cars and clothes (and walkin’ around money) it’s no wonder USC’s roster regularly looked like a who’s who of the Rivals 100.
    Bush may have been the biggest, most egregious offender, but the NCAA wouldn’t have dealt this kind of blow had it not found wide-ranging and willful disregard for the rules.
    The worst part of this is that, at least with regard to the NCAA, Bush is pretty much beyond their reach. But the one group that can deal him the blow he deserves is the Downtown Athletic Club. Lets hope they have the guts to strip his Heisman Trophy, given that he’s essentially been ruled retroactively ineligible for the entire seaason in which he won it.

7. Seth Peacock - Jun 24, 2010 at 1:40 PM

TROJANS RULE!

8. Josh - Jun 28, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Seth is a gay name

9. HOSS - Jul 11, 2010 at 3:55 PM

YOU CAN KEEP YELLING TROJANS RULE! BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YOUR GOING TO BE YELLING FOR A TEAM THAT JUST LOST WHAT , ABOUT 22 GAMES OR SO IN A TWO YEAR PERIOD. SORRY IF THE # IS WRONG, I DON’T FOLLOW USC FOOTBALL.