Jun 18, 2010, 2:52 PM EST
It’s being widely reported that Venice, Florida defensive end Clay Burton has committed to the Irish. Burton is the 10th verbal commitment for Brian Kelly, and the fourth guy that fits into the much needed mold of edge players for the Irish, joining Brad Carrico and Tony Springmann, who profile as 3-4 defensive ends and Jarrett Grace who could play either inside or outside at linebacker.
Steve Wiltfong of IrishSportsDaily.com has one of the only early quotes out of Burton, who called Irish assistant coaches Tony Alford, Bob Diaco and Kerry Cooks today.
“I just slept on it for about a week, and counseled with everyone important to me, my mom, my brother, my uncle, my grandmother, and all my high school coaches, and I decided it was the best fit for me and the perfect time to get it off my shoulders and relax,” Burton said. “They’re happy about it, and so proud of me.”
Burton has a strong list of national offers, choosing the Irish over places like Georgia Tech, Tennessee, LSU, and Florida State. He’s the type of long and lanky defender that will fit in as an outside backer, yet also has pass rush ability to get to the quarterback, a la Darius Fleming.
Burton visited Notre Dame last weekend, his first ever visit to campus. His older brother Trey is will be a freshman quarterback with the Florida Gators next season.
- It’s official: Golson returns to Notre Dame 59
- Bob Diaco accepts the UConn head coaching job 117
- Stay or go? Stephon Tuitt has a big decision to make 40
- It’s official: Chuck Martin the new head coach at Miami (OH) 96
- The good, the bad and the ugly: Notre Dame vs. Stanford 79
- Five things we learned: Stanford 27, Notre Dame 20 140
- Bryant’s redshirt freshman season appears official (118)
- Postseason Mailbag: Now Open (Christmas giveaway bonus!) (91)
- Recruiting bonanza continues with TE Tyler Luatua commitment (90)
- Pot of Gold pushes Notre Dame recruiting to the forefront (34)
- Elston pledges return as Irish program moves forward (28)