Jun 18, 2010, 2:52 PM EDT
It’s being widely reported that Venice, Florida defensive end Clay Burton has committed to the Irish. Burton is the 10th verbal commitment for Brian Kelly, and the fourth guy that fits into the much needed mold of edge players for the Irish, joining Brad Carrico and Tony Springmann, who profile as 3-4 defensive ends and Jarrett Grace who could play either inside or outside at linebacker.
Steve Wiltfong of IrishSportsDaily.com has one of the only early quotes out of Burton, who called Irish assistant coaches Tony Alford, Bob Diaco and Kerry Cooks today.
“I just slept on it for about a week, and counseled with everyone important to me, my mom, my brother, my uncle, my grandmother, and all my high school coaches, and I decided it was the best fit for me and the perfect time to get it off my shoulders and relax,” Burton said. “They’re happy about it, and so proud of me.”
Burton has a strong list of national offers, choosing the Irish over places like Georgia Tech, Tennessee, LSU, and Florida State. He’s the type of long and lanky defender that will fit in as an outside backer, yet also has pass rush ability to get to the quarterback, a la Darius Fleming.
Burton visited Notre Dame last weekend, his first ever visit to campus. His older brother Trey is will be a freshman quarterback with the Florida Gators next season.
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame 132
- Academic misconduct investigation underway at Notre Dame 58
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season 130
- Ready or Not: Young Irish defenders making moves 82
- Kelly names Golson starting quarterback 78
- Irish A-to-Z: Max Redfield 56
- With all eyes watching, a dig for truth begins at Notre Dame (132)
- Multiple Reports: Notre Dame set to suspend four players for season (130)
- Kelly addresses academic investigation (128)
- Phillip Daniels feels confident son DaVaris will be cleared (92)
- Ready or Not: Young Irish defenders making moves (82)