Jun 18, 2010, 2:52 PM EDT
It’s being widely reported that Venice, Florida defensive end Clay Burton has committed to the Irish. Burton is the 10th verbal commitment for Brian Kelly, and the fourth guy that fits into the much needed mold of edge players for the Irish, joining Brad Carrico and Tony Springmann, who profile as 3-4 defensive ends and Jarrett Grace who could play either inside or outside at linebacker.
Steve Wiltfong of IrishSportsDaily.com has one of the only early quotes out of Burton, who called Irish assistant coaches Tony Alford, Bob Diaco and Kerry Cooks today.
“I just slept on it for about a week, and counseled with everyone important to me, my mom, my brother, my uncle, my grandmother, and all my high school coaches, and I decided it was the best fit for me and the perfect time to get it off my shoulders and relax,” Burton said. “They’re happy about it, and so proud of me.”
Burton has a strong list of national offers, choosing the Irish over places like Georgia Tech, Tennessee, LSU, and Florida State. He’s the type of long and lanky defender that will fit in as an outside backer, yet also has pass rush ability to get to the quarterback, a la Darius Fleming.
Burton visited Notre Dame last weekend, his first ever visit to campus. His older brother Trey is will be a freshman quarterback with the Florida Gators next season.
- For Golson, challenges won’t disappear now that he’s at FSU 0
- After high-profile academic mistakes, Notre Dame wisely examining new options 38
- Everett Golson transferring to Florida State 104
- KeiVarae Russell’s Return (or the greatest story we’re not talking about) 31
- Five things we’ve learned: Analyzing Everett Golson’s departure 125
- It’s official: Everett Golson will transfer (UPDATED) 172